Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:38 PM

6 posts, read 23,531 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to the El Paso area within the next several months and have NO idea what the city is like or where to begin house hunting. I am a young professional female in my late 20s and am curious to know if there are any areas that are safe, dog friendly, and (for lack of a better word) artsy? I am considering moving to El Paso to maintain a current relationship with a guy who's in the military. One of my biggest concerns is that there will not be an area in El Paso that will feel like home. It would be great if there is an area in or around the city that could offer an atmosphere that is a little more laid back, dog friendly, offers good music venue's, is artsy... I also enjoy doing anything outdoors as well...so being close to mountain biking trails, rock climbing..etc. would also be preferable. I know it may be a shot in the dark but I thought it might be worth asking. Just dont know where to begin in my search...if anyone has any helpful advice, websites..etc. it would be greatly appreciated-thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 07:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I would say Kern Place and then Sunset Heights are the "artsy" or artsiest neighborhoods and they're also near UTEP. The whole town is pretty laid back. The mountain is smack in the middle of town so there's no problem with finding mountain trails to hike.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:35 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would say Kern Place and then Sunset Heights are the "artsy" or artsiest neighborhoods and they're also near UTEP. The whole town is pretty laid back. The mountain is smack in the middle of town so there's no problem with finding mountain trails to hike.
Good short answer! I would warn anyone (especially female) to NOT hike Mt. Franklin alone, and to NOT rock climb without first learning all one can from local rock climbing enthusiasts. And most important of all, carry a cell phone with freshly charged battery when hiking - and hope you don't have to speed dial 911 at any time! The danger isn't so much from other people, but rather from hiking a very rugged mountain with all that implies for potential injury.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:27 PM

24 posts, read 57,420 times
I agree - you would like Kern. If not - west side or upper valley.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:05 PM

121 posts, read 402,230 times
As always (usually), the more expensive, the better.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen joe View Post
I agree - you would like Kern. If not - west side or upper valley.
I once lived in the Mountain Park area on the east side. Prices and quality of homes are every bit in line with those of the Coronado CC area, IMO. And the views are just as good too - sunrises instead of sunsets. No country club in Mountain Park is the only drawback I can think of! But access to mountain hiking is better, and in spring that's where the poppies grow (some years).

Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 AM

6 posts, read 23,531 times
Default Need Advice, Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bell View Post
I am thinking of moving to the El Paso area within the next several months and have NO idea what the city is like or where to begin house hunting. I am a young professional female in my late 20s and am curious to know if there are any areas that are safe, dog friendly, and (for lack of a better word) artsy? I am considering moving to El Paso to maintain a current relationship with a guy who's in the military. One of my biggest concerns is that there will not be an area in El Paso that will feel like home. It would be great if there is an area in or around the city that could offer an atmosphere that is a little more laid back, dog friendly, offers good music venue's, is artsy... I also enjoy doing anything outdoors as well...so being close to mountain biking trails, rock climbing..etc. would also be preferable. I know it may be a shot in the dark but I thought it might be worth asking. Just dont know where to begin in my search...if anyone has any helpful advice, websites..etc. it would be greatly appreciated-thanks!

I posted the above request for advice back in September. First and foremost, thank you to all who responded. It has been a great help to learn about El Paso from those who know it firsthand rather than ‘reading up’ on the internet. After I posted I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to make the move so I put my search of where to live on the back burner for a couple of months. Now I am 100% sure that I am heading out to El Paso (the beginning of next month actually). I am excited about the move but still very uncertain about where to live. After learning more about El Paso I would have to agree that Sunset Heights, Kern Place and Mission Hills would be very fitting for me. However, it will be too far for my boyfriend to commute to Bliss on a daily basis. I am certain that many people in El Paso have shared in my predicament. I am hoping that there is an area similar to Kern Place, Sunset..etc. but closer to Bliss. I am still living in Atlanta and am unable to make a trip to El Paso prior to my move. My boyfriend who is currently staying with friends until we can find a place is doing his ‘do diligence’ to look around, but we really don’t know what area’s, neighborhoods,..etc. to start with. Are there any communities that are like Kern Place further east? Any advice?..Thanks so much!

Old 02-15-2010, 11:39 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,954,972 times
Most of El Paso is car oriented but I'd look at:
1) east side - up against the mountain - west of Alabama (Mountain Hills, Mountain Heights) has some nice apartment complexes & homes
2) Manhatten Heights/Memorial Park area - nice old homes - big park
MHNA > Photos > Neighborhood Homes

3) south of the airport/ south of Montana - bungalows
http://elpasodogparks.com/v1/content/view/12/27/

Last edited by Gary Siete; 02-15-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM

I've already mentioned in this same thread that I once lived in Mountain Park. There are NUMEROUS large apartment complexes along Alabama/Magnetic drives on the east side of the mountain, some with spectacular views out over the city night lights. You get an early sundown when up against the east flank of the mountain, as opposed to being on the west side, and that means faster cooling down in the evening during the hottest summer days. Other than that, there are many other nice areas very accessible to Ft. Bliss on the east side of the city, all of which are every bit as nice as those neighborhoods on the west side, unless being a member of an expensive country club is essential to where you live.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
I've already mentioned in this same thread that I once lived in Mountain Park. There are NUMEROUS large apartment complexes along Alabama/Magnetic drives on the east side of the mountain, some with spectacular views out over the city night lights. You get an early sundown when up against the east flank of the mountain, as opposed to being on the west side, and that means faster cooling down in the evening during the hottest summer days. Other than that, there are many other nice areas very accessible to Ft. Bliss on the east side of the city, all of which are every bit as nice as those neighborhoods on the west side, unless being a member of an expensive country club is essential to where you live.

I would agree that would be a nice area for someone coming here. The view of the mountains is actually more scenic from the NE although both sides of town can be perfectly nice. The nice thing about the NE is that it's actually a fairly narrow strip of city surrounded by open space.

I think when people say "artsy", everyone tends to think of Kern and Sunset Heights but artsy isn't limited to only those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso