U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 AM

507 posts, read 1,936,157 times

Advertisements

Certain sports web sites predict SoCal at Sun Bowl. I've met some USC alums, and in my experience, they're among the snobbiest, most arrogant folks you'll ever meet. Doubt the Troj. would bring many fans to the game. I say - why bother?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:16 AM

447 posts, read 1,468,357 times
You're gonna have snobs anywhere, besides most people at the game are probably from El Paso I figure. So if not USC who would you prefer?

Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,996,223 times
I'd prefer Cal - if all students are snobs at least at Berkeley they will be the smartest snobs. Actually Cal kids are lots of fun. Be hospitable and you will love them.

The saying in California always was USC ( univ spoiled children) Dumb Rich kids, Stanford -smart rich kids Berkeley Smart from all income levels. Generalizations of course but with lots of truth to them.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 AM

727 posts, read 1,749,351 times
Oh how my USC grad friends would hate it if they had to come here....that is why I pull for Cal, Stanford or one of the AZ schools to come here. Though, a couple of years ago when it looked like Cal or USC may end up here, there were some really bad columns run in both cities/campuses hacking on ELP.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 AM

caltep venture out of El Paso a bit and you'll find that the world does not have a good opinion of us. Ive lived all over the state and have about 15 El Paso or UTEP T shirts ( so I get questions-comments). They drive through and find us bleak and dirty. It was worse when ASARCO was there. Texans do not have a good opinion of El Paso so don't expect anyone else to either.

That's why I said "Be hospitable" and if they have a good time and party with you, they will go back feeling good.

One new problem- people in Texas don't understand that the violence in Juarez is just that Juarez and they ask "Isn't ELP dangerous- look at all the killings" The Mexican drug lords need to kill each other off quickly and send their women across the border for safekeeping. LOL

Old 11-16-2009, 11:27 AM

727 posts, read 1,749,351 times
Default I am

I am from CA (lived north and south...been in ELP less than 4 yrs). ELP compared to some parts of Oakland CA and the areas south of LA are not better, and in fact, where USC is located is not especially safe or attractive (been there).

Coming from CA, there is not any real perception of ELP. Those who have been here, will tell exactly as you described...dusty, dirty, desolate. I didn't even know what to expect in an environmental/community sense. So, in some respects, it not having any real impression, but it is not New Orleans, So CA, FLA, AZ or any other state where the BCS games are played. For a school like USC, it's not BCS, so nothing else really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
caltep venture out of El Paso a bit and you'll find that the world does not have a good opinion of us. Ive lived all over the state and have about 15 El Paso or UTEP T shirts ( so I get questions-comments). They drive through and find us bleak and dirty. It was worse when ASARCO was there. Texans do not have a good opinion of El Paso so don't expect anyone else to either.

That's why I said "Be hospitable" and if they have a good time and party with you, they will go back feeling good.

One new problem- people in Texas don't understand that the violence in Juarez is just that Juarez and they ask "Isn't ELP dangerous- look at all the killings" The Mexican drug lords need to kill each other off quickly and send their women across the border for safekeeping. LOL

Old 11-16-2009, 04:32 PM

2,619 posts, read 5,648,107 times
On the flip side, I always wear UTEP gear while in LV and I get a ton of compliments about the city. Some fans are going to diss the Sun Bowl because they wanted their team to go to the Rose Bowl, not the Sun Bowl. I can understand that.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 PM

2,625 posts, read 10,666,862 times
I went to baton rouge la, with my son last year for a lil league world series tourney and had my utep gear on, and received alot of compliments too!

Old 11-16-2009, 09:18 PM

People can like UTEP without thinking El Paso is a pretty place. When I was a kid in NYC I thought and many of my friends believed that the University of Texas was just as much EL Paso as Austin.

Want proof ? Start a thread in Texas " For those who have only driven through is El Paso nice?"

Old 11-16-2009, 11:36 PM

2,619 posts, read 5,648,107 times
I am sure there are a fair amount of haters. I don't doubt that. I also don't doubt that the rest of Texas is rather snob'ish about the whole thing.

Also, in my LV experience, I rec'd compliments about the city not just the college. People who have spent time here quite often have nice things to say. People from other parts of Texas who only raced through town might not have nice things to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso