Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
I lived in Juarez for the firs 13 years of my life and I must admit that I never had one of these. Saw a recent episode of Man vs. Food and they were in Tucson and did a segment on the "Sonoran" dog. This looks alot like the Sonoran dog, aka "Mexican" hot dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,509,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I miss going to the bus station over there and hopping on a bus to head somewhere south, like down to Chihuahua or beyond through the little towns along the way. Being able to get to Chihuahua and then onto that train to Los Mochis through the Copper Canyon, then to Matzatlan. Or getting back and coming into Juarez knowing home was close.

Or sometimes just going over there to buy blankets or something and stop in a diner and have a real coca cola made with real sugar.
Could you still do that now?

Old 12-14-2009, 11:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
Could you still do that now?
Not with the same piece of mind. I know of too many kidnapping victims, and yes they were released unharmed after the ransom was paid because according to good sources they weren't involved in crime so weren't killed or tortured, it was just about quick ransom money but I don't feel like risking that.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:50 AM

7 posts, read 15,121 times
I miss going to Fausto's, Spankys, The XO Club, Tequila Derby, The Old West Club....man I could go on. Obviously it has been a while since I was there. i was stationed at Bliss 1987-1990. What a crazy place....anything went!

Old 12-17-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Not with the same piece of mind. I know of too many kidnapping victims, and yes they were released unharmed after the ransom was paid because according to good sources they weren't involved in crime so weren't killed or tortured, it was just about quick ransom money but I don't feel like risking that.
I have no family and haven't got two nickels to rub together. Would they still kidnap me?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I have no family and haven't got two nickels to rub together. Would they still kidnap me?
Chances are they won't but with the car theft, carjackings and robberies as high as they are over there, I'm not inclined to go. You should go if you want to, for me it's not worth the risk even if the risk is actually not all that high.

So far, not one innocent typical American tourist has been killed or physically injured in Juarez. I don't believe American tourists are targets of anything except maybe the usual stuff.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 AM

My reasons are more from talking to people from Juarez who also are not involved in drugs and other crimes - they aren't going over there as much even to visit relatives even though they still may go, and they never actually witness any problems. In fact, from what people say it's quieter over there, not so many people out on the streets after a certain time. Fewer cars, less noise -- in some ways probably quite nice.

So yeah - if you go over there, most likely you will face no problem at all. I would go over if I had a good enough reason to go, but shopping, drinking, partying aren't good enough reasons.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
YES! My dad's friend was walkind down the street close to one of the wal-marts (think it's ejercito nacional avenue) down there and got taken by some random strangers. They drove him around for 8 hours until they gave up on the ransom demands (5K) and just pushed him out of the car while it was still moving. The way things are down there you can get kiddnapped for 1000 dlls or maybe even less. Don't go if you don't have to.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
YES! My dad's friend was walkind down the street close to one of the wal-marts (think it's ejercito nacional avenue) down there and got taken by some random strangers. They drove him around for 8 hours until they gave up on the ransom demands (5K) and just pushed him out of the car while it was still moving. The way things are down there you can get kiddnapped for 1000 dlls or maybe even less. Don't go if you don't have to.
lol, how can they make ransom demands on someone who's got no one to make demands on. They'd throw me out of the car in 3 minutes.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
lol, how can they make ransom demands on someone who's got no one to make demands on. They'd throw me out of the car in 3 minutes.
You are not familiar with Juarez are you?? Ok find out for yourself then.

research Express kidnapping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso