Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 10:33 PM

6 posts, read 36,552 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we are possibly relocating to El Paso, and I just wanted to know if anybody knows if there are any German groups or clubs in the city. Since I am German myself, I found it to be the easiest way to adjust in a new city is when I find a group like that. It always proves to be a wealth of information, as well as immediate connections. Especially because of my kids.
Also, I have read in other forums that the schools in El Paso are not supposed to be the most prestine in the Nation. Is that a generalization or truth? Are there any good schools in El Paso, including private ones?
I am very appreciative of any information regarding my questions.
Thanks,
Marion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 06:06 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,792 times
The German Air Force train at Fort Bliss and also at Holloman Air Force Base in Alamogordo, NM 80 miles away. They do bring their familys with.
Jane

Old 05-21-2007, 11:53 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,949,702 times
There is the German club on Fort Bliss.. If you go though the Air Port Gate and straight up it will be on your right just past the traffic light.

But the Germans are leaving Fort Bliss soon, as there is not going to be any more Training on Fort Bliss.. so check that out quick or it maybe gone.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:32 PM

879 posts, read 3,036,620 times
I'm not sure why more people haven't posted on here about this topic. I myself don't know too much about it but I do know that there are a large amount of German people that do live in the area. I think it mainly has to do with the local German Air Force Command and the German Air Defense School located at Ft. Bliss. I know I often hear quite a bit of people speaking German here and there such as at the malls and other local places. Even our local TV cable service has a German channel on it: Deutsche Welle TV (DW-TV), it is on cable channel 7. It runs programs in both German and English all day long. I have heard about several German groups that live here and some German people that have retired here after their years of military service, but I don't know much about them, sorry.

As Muhnay said the German Air Defense School has plans to move to another base in about five years or less, so I don't know how much of an impact that will have on the German population in El Paso.

Good luck in your relocation to El Paso if it happens or where ever you end up.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:26 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post

But the Germans are leaving Fort Bliss soon, as there is not going to be any more Training on Fort Bliss..
Thats a bummer about the Germans leaving Ft.Bliss as i remember seeing them there at Ft.Bliss when i was in high school in the late 70's early 80's (andress) . I'm sure you remember them Muhnay as some even lived in our neighborhood (Ontario st, Panther st, Quebec st)

Go Andress !!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 36,552 times
Smile Thank you!

Thank you so much for replying and trying to help me out. I appreciate it very much. No decision on my husband's job yet, so I still do not know if that will actually be an issue. But it helps to know that there are some Germans out there. I also read up on this German restaurant, and supposedly the lady waitresses are all German. I guess if I end up there, I will hit them up for some info as well.
Thank you very much,
Marion

Old 08-06-2011, 11:42 AM

6 posts, read 26,647 times
I know this is a very old posting but it shows the misconception that the German Air Force is leaving Fort Bliss. I was stationed in Fort Bliss for the first time in 1981 and even then rumors had it they have to close down.

Yes there are talks about when and how the German Air Force is leaving Fort Bliss. Right now it is probably the first time we have to take this discussions seriously. With the restructuring of all the German military world wide, Fort Bliss could be one of the posts in USA that they have to leave. It will be a political decision and it is anyones guess what will happen.

The German Air Force has a very long tradition in Fort Bliss. The first German soldiers where stationed here in 1956. When Germany purchased NIKE and HAWK weapon systems during the cold war a permanent training facility was established. Since then the German soldiers and their dependents contributed to the culture in the area. The Oktoberfest in Fort Bliss will have its 40th anniversary in 2012. Let's hope we have many more years of German soldiers in Fort Bliss not just to party with them at the Oktoberfest.

P.S. The next Oktoberfest is on the weekend of the 16th of September 2011. Get your tickets at bldg 516.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
Smile looking to sell or donate

My mother whom passed away October 2020 and was born in Heddesheim, Germany and met my father there in world war II, i have some cook books and other books in German as well as some videos sent to my mother by her sister whom is now passed, i also have some German money from Germany as well, i would either like to sell it all or donate to someplace for show and tell like a museum or library if there is one. please contact me at 915-262-5008 if interested. my email is: looker7786@gmail.com

Last edited by looker77; 08-03-2022 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: left out email
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: