Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 PM

5 posts, read 8,849 times

Advertisements

ok city-data, huge emergency! for reasons i would rather not get into, i have to leave rutgers for a year and i was considering UTEP. So of course, in the middle of this econ i do not have the money to fly out there and see the school first hand. how diverse is the school really? Will i be an outcast for being from the east? i guess crime isnt really an issue for me coming from newark. Where can i get a good slice? do i need to have a car? are the bars good? how demanding is the school ? any help would be great thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 03:35 AM

19 posts, read 63,754 times
the school is great... great atmosphere, great students.... the bars are right around the corner from the school. el paso is the second or third safest metro in the nation... nothin to worry about... people love utep and el paso... just make the switch

Old 12-21-2009, 04:34 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,507,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by univheights View Post
ok city-data, huge emergency! for reasons i would rather not get into, i have to leave rutgers for a year and i was considering UTEP. So of course, in the middle of this econ i do not have the money to fly out there and see the school first hand. how diverse is the school really? Will i be an outcast for being from the east? i guess crime isnt really an issue for me coming from newark. Where can i get a good slice? do i need to have a car? are the bars good? how demanding is the school ? any help would be great thank you
I think as long as you don't act like you're from the East you'll be ok.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:34 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,351 times
Slice-wise, El Paso pizza is not even on the map. Not a slice to be found anywhere.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
It's okay as long as you don't mind a large number of remedial students, at one time the rate was 60% remedial students but I don't know if that's improved or not. Once you have your first job though no one cares where your undergraduate studies were completed. As for diversity, that would depend on what you mean by that. If you mean over 90% one ethncitiy, then UTEP could be called diverse. If you like a good mix of many backgrounds, ethnicities, races then no, UTEP is not diverse although it has a small handful of all that. No UTEP is not demanding, there are no entrance standards, anyone can be accepted, it's 4 year graduation rate is very low, you might say UTEP is laid back, many students take 6, 8 or more years to graduate but if one hangs in there, repeats courses enough, he or she will eventually be given a degree. The engineering program is more demanding -- or at least at one time it was.

Crime is not an issue, there are tons of bars in El Paso but good is too subjective, it would depend on what you mean by good. You wouldn't need a car to study at UTEP, everything is within walking or bike riding distance and there is a bus system that is really not too bad.

I came to El Paso, I liked it, I stayed - but it's a bit off the beaten track, somewhat laid back, the weather here beats the weather almost everywhere. What I find is people either really dislike El Paso, or they really like it, not too many in betweens. You might find what you're looking for here -- it's hard to say but it's definitely a comfortable enough city to live in. Almost no murders and those are almost all domestic violence or gang related. You don't have to worry about murder for sure.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,589 times
UTEP was recently discussed ad nauseam in this thread:

UTEP DISCUSSION THREAD

Old 12-21-2009, 09:06 AM

422 posts, read 1,294,534 times
Ardovinos @ Redd & Resler is my favorite for pizza

Old 12-21-2009, 09:43 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,135,431 times
I think malamute is confusing his opinions of El Paso's diversity with that of UTEP's. From many different areas (studies, athletics, military), UTEP has quite a bit of diversity. Enough that no one person would stand out. Nobody is going to care that you are not like everyone else.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
I think malamute is confusing his opinions of El Paso's diversity with that of UTEP's. From many different areas (studies, athletics, military), UTEP has quite a bit of diversity. Enough that no one person would stand out. Nobody is going to care that you are not like everyone else.
http://cierpdata.utep.edu/OnlineFact...ents_FTFR.aspx

Any college that had about 90% mixed ethnicities of Polish, Italian, French, German, British, Swede, Irish, and so on would not be considered diverse so it's hard to say how 90% one ethnicity alone could be seen as diverse.

The OP asked about diversity, and whatever someone thinks about the academics and bars, it would be hard to claim that 85-90% one national-ethnic background could be "diverse". 3-4% black and 6.7% combined Polish, Italian, French, German, British, Swede, Irish, and so on, less than 2% Asian.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:04 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,467 times
UTEP is about 90% hispanic. That isnt diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso