Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2007, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,723 times

Advertisements

I was recently asked by my boyfriend to move to El Paso from Indiana when he returns home from Iraq in January from a 15 month stay. I have no idea where we are going to live I am assuming on base because he plans to return to Indiana after his service is up in May of 09'. I currently have a really good job with Cummins Engine Company in Columbus, Indiana and have thought about transferring to the Juarez FSP Plant. I am nervous because I am getting mixed feelings from everyone. Some say yay and some say nay. I want to be with him but I am scared because I really need a job and I don't want to go from 45K a year to minimum wage and people treating me like crap. I took 3 years of spanish in high school but haven't used it since, and I am now almost 25 so it has been awhile. I am planning on purchasing the rosetta stone software to bring me up to speed but from what I have been reading on the other forums here the spanish is a bit different. Does anyone have any advice or direction with the Cummins situation? And, what is it like living on a military base? I am not very educated on the military aspect of life, obviously I am learning. Any advice is good advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 10:31 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinder4 View Post
I was recently asked by my boyfriend to move to El Paso from Indiana when he returns home from Iraq in January from a 15 month stay. I have no idea where we are going to live I am assuming on base because he plans to return to Indiana after his service is up in May of 09'. I currently have a really good job with Cummins Engine Company in Columbus, Indiana and have thought about transferring to the Juarez FSP Plant. I am nervous because I am getting mixed feelings from everyone. Some say yay and some say nay. I want to be with him but I am scared because I really need a job and I don't want to go from 45K a year to minimum wage and people treating me like crap. I took 3 years of spanish in high school but haven't used it since, and I am now almost 25 so it has been awhile. I am planning on purchasing the rosetta stone software to bring me up to speed but from what I have been reading on the other forums here the spanish is a bit different. Does anyone have any advice or direction with the Cummins situation? And, what is it like living on a military base? I am not very educated on the military aspect of life, obviously I am learning. Any advice is good advice!
I would advise against working in Juarez unless you grew up in EP and are used to daily trips across the border. Also, the company might be the same but the work environment will be completely alien to you since it's in a different country. If you do go make sure you get the express line pass so you don't have to spend 2 hours waiting to cross back into El Paso. I have known many people that at one time or another worked in Juarez and about 95% of them would not do it again if they had the choice.

When I lived in EP I considered working in Juarez for an American "maquila", but the headaches of crossing the border everyday did not appeal to me so I just decided to move away.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times
I would not advise it either. Stay where you are.. unless you can grow professionally from this in some way.. make it easier for advancement etc.. I think if he is getting out in a couple years anyways.. and you have a good stable job with great pay.. stay and set up a place for him to return to when he does come home permanently in '09. You wont make 45K a year in El Paso, an I know for a fact you will take a major income hit. Will your job back home be there for you when he decides to return home? I think if you both love one another and can talk about whats best for you all in the long run and not let emotion take over.. you'll will see that staying put and visiting on long weekends and so forth would be the best choice for you both over all.

Unless you are married he wont be able to get Military Housing, and so you both would have to live off post.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:27 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,441,309 times
Yes that's right. I would only consider a move like that if it was a promotion from your current position, many people do that as well, but the first chance they get to return to the states they jump on it. Well actually only two types of people go to work in Juarez, those that want to advance their careers faster then they would otherwise, and those that have been "disciplined" by their company and that is their last chance before they get the boot. Its either overachievers or screwups.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
I agree with other posters. I would only do it if it could somehow enhance my job, if it would help you later with that company or be good on your resume.

Don't expect a whole lot of friendliness toward Americans at maquilas. In some at least there is resentment because Americans obviously hold the better positions, it wouldn't be like working in a normal environment.

The weather is very nice here, and if you're looking to see what other places are like, how the desert and mountains are it could be good -- not for the money but other experiences.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:09 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
you wont have on post housing unless you are married, and if you get married, you will get post housing only if it is available. sometimes there is a waiting list.
if you are not married, yall will be paying for your rent out of your own money, no BAH (basic housing allowance).

Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 AM

385 posts, read 1,555,480 times
The other posters are correct in my opinion. Don't move here. You would not be helping yourself on many fronts. Crossing the bridge daily is not fun and extends your day dramatically. The housing situation at the base, if you are married, is slowly improving but it is still way behind the need. The off post housing for folks like you are the bigger apartment complexes only. The individual houses are poorly kept and the landlords are wanting more money for their properties now that they anticipate an influx of troops. I am a landlord and I check my competition...I would be embarrassed to rent out some of these houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso