Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times

Advertisements

This article states that the Barrio Azteca gang may have had a hand in this. Interesting.

BTW, Beto O'Rourke? Does he look Irish?

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 03-16-2010 at 08:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
This article stats that the Barrio Azteca gang may have had a hand in this. Interesting.

BTW, Beto O'Rourke? Does he look Irish?
So they know who did it? They've solved the murders this fast? Did they get confessions?

Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,955,492 times
Diario de Mexico diario.com.mx/ says that the target was the El Paso detention officer because he was assigned primarily to border drug seizure cases. Seems plausable as Barrio Azteca has it's roots as an El Paso/Juarez prison gang. The attackers weren't sure which white SUV he was in so they followed & shot up both. The timeline and map indicates that the other driver was attacked first and possibly realizing their mistake the attackers return to the party and followed the other white SUV.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:45 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,567 times
I read what percent of Mexico's population makes money off illegal drugs and its enormous. Not that I blame all of them -some see it as America's problem because we want the drugs - and they accommodate us. Many are poor who will do anything to beat the couple of dollars they may earn in a day.

At some point we will have to legalize marijuana and Texas will benefit hugely because it would grow well here, why send so many US dollars to Mexico? Hard drugs are a different matter- not sure what the solution is.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:22 PM

I don't really trust Mexico's ability to solve this case so quickly since they tend not to solve cartel and other related crimes.

Some people from Juarez were talking about all this today and they said it's not all cartel connected because without any law and order, it's pretty much a free-for-all, people extort money because they can, not just for the cartels. They even said that some extortionists pose as some member of a cartel but call people with no money just to see if they can get some. It was their opinion that the cartel types don't waste their time on the little people without money because they know very well who has the money.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM

Default No trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't really trust Mexico's ability to solve this case so quickly since they tend not to solve cartel and other related crimes.
It is like the old Soviet Union days where neighbors snitched on neighbors. The law enforcement in Mexico is too corrupt, one officer will snitch on another officer.

Also, if it is known that one is working aganst the cartels in any way, that person automatically becomes a target. If not that person, someone in that person's family becomes a victim for the mere act of making a point. No wonder no one wants to solve high profile crimes, they will become a target.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Default El Paso featured on FOX News

I was watching the FOX Report (what luck, I never watch this show, I don't really care for Shep :^) on FOX News and there was a segment about El Paso. It was said that the Feds were doing a sweep on the Barrio Azteca gang (gang mentioned by name) and rounded up members to try to get information.

So, did you (collectively) see/hear anything today on the news today about this? I would think if it made national headlines, it would have made it in El Paso.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:33 PM

46 posts, read 153,101 times
I saw and read about on cnn. We're do back in EL Paso this summer and a little worried. I'm kind of afraid that the cartels are gonna start some kind of street level war with local law enforcement. It seems since these recent deaths the US has taken a more public role against the cartel. That would suck. I love El Paso and would hate to move else where. Everytime I mention that I'm from EP i get this "oooh its so bad over there". Very frustrating.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I was watching the FOX Report (what luck, I never watch this show, I don't really care for Shep :^) on FOX News and there was a segment about El Paso. It was said that the Feds were doing a sweep on the Barrio Azteca gang (gang mentioned by name) and rounded up members to try to get information.

So, did you (collectively) see/hear anything today on the news today about this? I would think if it made national headlines, it would have made it in El Paso.

Yes it's there:

Gang sweep seeks leads on Juárez killings - El Paso Times

It sounds like we have some pretty bad gangs here in El Paso.

The raids began early in the morning in what was described as a "shakedown" of the gang, which has been involved in murders, kidnappings, extortions and gun and drug trafficking.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:57 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,442,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes it's there:

Gang sweep seeks leads on Juárez killings - El Paso Times

It sounds like we have some pretty bad gangs here in El Paso.

The raids began early in the morning in what was described as a "shakedown" of the gang, which has been involved in murders, kidnappings, extortions and gun and drug trafficking.

There was a rerun episode of "Gangland" on the History Channel last week about the El Paso prison gangs, especially Barrio Azteca. They talked to a lot of former and current members. They touched upon some other gangs too, like the Fatherless. Interesting stuff, in a morbid way I guess. Normally I turn those shows off, but it was about El Paso so I watched.

As far as the whole Juarez thing goes - it makes me sad. The people of Juarez were always good to my friends, family, and I, when I lived in El Paso and we would go for a day or an evening across the river. Good memories. They deserve better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: