Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:41 AM

5 posts, read 11,325 times

Advertisements

Can anyone answer why history in el paso has not been properly recognized???

Im talking about old west legends & the life of these first el paso madams..

I was shocked too find out that the famous "Acme Saloon" where El Paso's John Wesley Hardin was murdered, is now a ****en dollar store???
I mean a ****en dollar store??? are you serious??? That place is history...****, why did'nt anybody preserve the saloon & open it up as a museum/tourist spot... I mean these are places that not many other gun fighting towns can say they actually still have standing... And all the city did to this place was put a ****en "plack" on the wall.. I know we have an El Paso Musuem, but theres nothing like the actual place itself to give you a feel of what the old west really was...Somebodys life was taken there, at that a notorious legend like John Wesley Hardin..

That's Not All

The Alice Abbott story a.k.a Big Alice and Madame Etta Clark..Can you believe these two women ****en battled it out and Etta actually tryed to smoke Big Alice..Shoot, they were running brothels a.k.a parlor houses here in the city on what was Utah Street now supposedly Mesa street..I mean where the **** are these places??What happened??? Women were selling themselves, struggling, & regulators were at full force at that time.....People say El paso dont have **** , but we actually do have an immense history that tells so much about us.. And if they only did things the right way there would be so much to see in this Old West City...

i just think we lose out on so much..This city had so much to hold on too..But they **** it up, by not giving a **** & building dumb ass **** like a ****en "dollar store" over history that will never repeat itself again....

someone run this down for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:55 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default China Town

El Paso also had a large China Town, repleat with opium dens where many citizens, affluent especially, used to light up. This was during the era when the railroads were being built. Not exactly great news, but a colorful past nonetheless.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
In a word.....money and the political unwillingness to preserve.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Shortsightedness. El Paso will always try to imitate some other kind of city and destroy it's own uniqueness.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 AM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,742 times
Gene Roddenberry's old house on East Yandell at Eucalyptus was torn down and replaced with a storefront by the owner who's not a "Star Trek" fan, had never even heard of the show, and didn't know the house's history. At least the house Sandra Day O'Connor grew up in has been preserved. I wonder if Debbie Reynolds' original house is still there.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:12 AM

121 posts, read 402,336 times
Forget about El Paso's history. At least we can still find it in written records. I'd be fine if the people here focused more on the future instead of the past because this place needs it. Make this the first respectable hispanic majority town and it would be an accomplishment. But that's something for future generations to contend with. But in my time, I've given up on the place and it just chafes my ass at this point. And yes, I am still stuck here. Damn the economy.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 AM

19 posts, read 94,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Eyes View Post
Can anyone answer why history in el paso has not been properly recognized???
Restoration and preservation costs money. Who do you propose pay for all the historic preservation you desire?

Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew915 View Post
Restoration and preservation costs money. Who do you propose pay for all the historic preservation you desire?
Very good observation. People often complain how come things are not done in the City. How many people are willing to pay for special funding for programs like this one. It is great to preserve our history. I am a history buff but I am aware the it is expensive and often put at lower priority.
Most of this programs are mostly funded by citizens organizations and to a lower degree by the city.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 03-26-2010, 04:12 PM

1,011 posts, read 2,831,742 times
I think the city used eminent domain to confiscate Albert Fall's old mansion on Arizona at East Cliff from the owner who said he wanted to restore it but was letting it deteriorate. (For those who don't know who Albert Fall is, he was a lawyer who served as defense attorney for Pat Garrett's alleged killer, one of New Mexico's first two US Senators in the 1910s and Interior Secretary under Warren Harding in the 1920s; he became a central figure in the Teapot Dome scandal and then became the first US Cabinet officer to go to prison, and is said to be the inspiration for the term "fall guy." He's buried in Evergreen Cemetery on Alameda.)

The landlord I just mentioned, William Abraham, was in the El Paso Times recently after the city closed a downtown office building he owns as a safety hazard; he bought up a bunch of Central El Paso properties and then let them deteriorate.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,429 times
You mention all of the Madams of olde. Check out the book "The Gentleman's Club" by El Pasoan Gordon Frost. The book chronicles the red light district on Utah Street as well as the opposing vice squad. Gordon was an old family friend and that's my mom and her car posing as a hooker at the back of the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: