Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 22,813 times

Advertisements

Aside from the common red geraniums, does any one have any plants or flowers that do well in this heat? I am new to this area and I am thinking that having a beautiful, colorful garden might just be out of my reach in this hot, dry weather that El Paso is famous for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 08:43 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,119,084 times
There are lots of colorful plants, shrubs, bushes and trees that do well in the southwest desert. Roses do amazingly well and my lilac bushes are in full bloom right now and the fragrance is intoxicating. Spirea and Bottle Brush are wonderful - even Bougainvilla blooms all summer and fall. One of my favs is Red Bird of Paradise (not the hot house variety) and will have an amazing show of orange/red flowers for months and months.

I'd advise you to pay a visit to either Sierra Vista Growers out by Gadsden HS or Black's Nursery on Dyer across from Popeye's Chicken. Both have a knowledgeable staff and have only native plants/trees/shrubs that will thrive in our hot dry climate.

My gardens have an amazing amount of color all spring, summer and fall. Good luck. Also, go by the El Paso Water Utility office on Hawkins and ask for one of their Plant, Flower and Tree Wheels. Another good source of information is the twice a year native plant sale on the UTEP campus - it should be coming up soon and is held on a Sat and Sun.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SallySue4 View Post
Aside from the common red geraniums, does any one have any plants or flowers that do well in this heat? I am new to this area and I am thinking that having a beautiful, colorful garden might just be out of my reach in this hot, dry weather that El Paso is famous for.
I think El Paso landscaping is actually better than what you see in a lot of cities. It's easiest if you use the xeriscaping kind of plants in a lot of El Paso - although you can't use them in all parts of town.

In El Paso, it's the micro-ecosystems that matter - if you have high rock walls in the backyard, you're going to have too much shade for most plants but the right plants will thrive. A lot of people do the xeriscaping in the front of the house and it means little maintenance, but you can walk around the older neighborhoods and see people with all kinds of gardens in pots on patios.

You can grow almost anything here - but not the plants that like a lot of acidity. Not much citrus because it's too cold for them, and it's usually too cold at night for tomatoes to put out a lot of fruit as they like warmer nights than we have here.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Tomatoes? I grew a ton of them in Alamogordo last season, and gave away to family. The nights here are as cool as--or cooler--than EP, since we're at a higher elevation. I think that the most important thing is choosing varieties that do well in either place.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:22 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,492 times
I love 'Rio Bravo' Sage (Leucophyllum langmaniae), it is very beautiful.
http://www.mariposahorticultural.com...mage/trim4.png

Native to Texas, Mexico and New Mexico... you will love the blooms!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Tomatoes? I grew a ton of them in Alamogordo last season, and gave away to family. The nights here are as cool as--or cooler--than EP, since we're at a higher elevation. I think that the most important thing is choosing varieties that do well in either place.
I think that is it -- I read the faster ripening ones are more reliable here but too many nights below 55, many won't set fruit. One year I got tons of tomatoes. Often though it's too hot in the day or too cold at night or some kind of bug gets them.

Then again, it's cold enough here for apple trees but if there's a warm winter, you might not get many apples. And again, you have to pick the right varieties. Some need more cold, a longer dormancy than they usually get here.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:30 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think that is it -- I read the faster ripening ones are more reliable here but too many nights below 55, many won't set fruit. One year I got tons of tomatoes. Often though it's too hot in the day or too cold at night or some kind of bug gets them.

Then again, it's cold enough here for apple trees but if there's a warm winter, you might not get many apples. And again, you have to pick the right varieties. Some need more cold, a longer dormancy than they usually get here.
Yep, lots of variables! Tomato transplants shouldn't even be set out until nights are consistently 55 and above. Mine are on the kitchen table under lights, and will probably go out in about 3 weeks or so. I also have the advantage of being able to move them into the garage if the night temps will be too cold.

Also, once daytime temps hit 90--and stay there for several days, you have blossom drop. I use a lot of shade fabric here if I have to, and it does help if it's really hot.

It's a lot of work, but I do love my fresh tomatoes.

Fruit trees? Then you run into the problem of it getting too warm too soon, blooming--then being killed by a late spring freeze. That happens in West Texas/Southern NM more often than not

Gardening? Bah humbug, LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso