Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:20 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times

Advertisements

I was in EP last week and going down I-10 west by the UTEP area I was pulled over by EPPD for going 10mph over the limit. Now I was speeding, but so was every car around me. I explained that I was in the "Passing" lane and was simply trying to keep up with traffic.

My point is this, I have lived in Houston metro for 5 years now and gotten pulled over for the same thing. The difference is that I have only gotten warnings from Houston area (sugarland, Missouri City) cops, but El Paso police go straight for the jugular (i.e. tickets). I supect this has greater to do with making money for the city of EP then about public safety.

Sorry for the rant but Im PI**ED OFF!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 AM

507 posts, read 2,061,661 times
Yeah, I feel your pain. That I-10 is built for speed around there, 60 is artificially low. They should at least jack the limt up to 70. When I moved back to E.P. 2 1/2 years ago, I used to do 80 on that stretch without thinking about it. Luckily never got nailed. Got caught on N. Mesa though.
I could be wrong, but I heard that the unspoken rule of thumb is anything over 10% of the posted speed limit (i.e., 66 in a 60) puts you in the cop's sights. Any LE want to comment?

Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,258 times
What I have found to be frustrating is 1-10 is mostly 80 mph. But as soon as you hit the ELP County line....whoa nellie down to a 65 to 70 mph. Your tired, bored, road whipped and then you have to slow down for a giant school zone called El Paso. Then the DPS troopers are all waiting for you and welcome you to ELP with nice little ticket. DAMN IT!!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
I thought it was 10 mph over. I haven't heard the 10%. I usually get pulled over on US54. I just tell them I was going with the flow of traffic and that usually works.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Revenue

Plain and simple, the purpose is to derive revenue. It is like taking candy from a baby, it's just too easy, who's going to complain above them? No one, they want their paycheck too. This is universal, however, not just El Paso, but they need the money more so than Sugarland/Houston I am sure.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:54 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
That stretch is a downhill run for about 3 miles and it's easy for speed to creep up. I try not to go more than 5-6mph over any speed limit - I figure anything more will trigger a reaction. Were you doing more than 10mph or is 10 what he wrote on the ticket?

The most dangerous I-10 stretch at the moment is the construction zone south of Las Cruces. NM is expanding the the I-10 to 6 lanes even though Texas has no plans to follow. Traffic isn't slowing down for the lane reductions.

I-10 Becoming Borderland's Most Dangerous Roadway - News Story - KFOX El Paso
Ulibarri is thankful because just last week he was involved in a six-car pileup on I-10. A semi-truck smashed into the back of his car and created a domino effect with the other cars.
“There were 10 patients in trauma because of that accident,” said Ulibarri.
“All I remember was when it gets to one lane, and then I don't remember anything else. I woke up when the paramedics were breaking the window,” said Ulibarri.
And last week’s accident wasn't the only recent major crash on the interstate. Just over six weeks ago, three semis were involved in an accident. One of the semis was fully engulfed in flames. The construction began just a few months ago, and in that short time, there’s already been a total of 19 accidents.

Ilibarri's car:

Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
That stretch is a downhill run for about 3 miles and it's easy for speed to creep up. I try not to go more than 5-6mph over any speed limit - I figure anything more will trigger a reaction. Were you doing more than 10mph or is 10 what he wrote on the ticket?

The most dangerous I-10 stretch at the moment is the construction zone south of Las Cruces. NM is expanding the the I-10 to 6 lanes even though Texas has no plans to follow. Traffic isn't slowing down for the lane reductions.

I-10 Becoming Borderland's Most Dangerous Roadway - News Story - KFOX El Paso
Ulibarri is thankful because just last week he was involved in a six-car pileup on I-10. A semi-truck smashed into the back of his car and created a domino effect with the other cars.
“There were 10 patients in trauma because of that accident,” said Ulibarri.
“All I remember was when it gets to one lane, and then I don't remember anything else. I woke up when the paramedics were breaking the window,” said Ulibarri.
And last week’s accident wasn't the only recent major crash on the interstate. Just over six weeks ago, three semis were involved in an accident. One of the semis was fully engulfed in flames. The construction began just a few months ago, and in that short time, there’s already been a total of 19 accidents.

Ilibarri's car:
He wrote down 70 in a 60. This happened on I-10 W just slightly past the Porfirio Diaz exit. The thing that rubs me the wrong way is that I was the only car he stopped. There were at least 2 cars right next to me going the exact same speed.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:46 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
What's the $ damage? I haven't been stopped in Texas. Are there points taken off?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:55 PM

121 posts, read 402,371 times
I would be all for no speed limits like the autobahn in Germany if we didn't have to pay for the clean up. The rest of us have to pay for you becoming road pulp.

Old 04-29-2010, 04:14 PM

276 posts, read 805,392 times
Yeah I thought that if your going the same speed as traffic your ok? Guess not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso