Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,607 times

Advertisements

We are moving to El Paso, Texas could you recommend me very good places to live with the best public elementary ? I have a 4 and a 6 year old. We currently live in Houston , I have only heard bad stuff as bad education in schools , can anyone living in el Paso help me !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 08:15 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Just go page by page of the El Paso section here. Questions like yours get ask at least on a weekly basis. The information is here. As far as only hearing about bad stuff regarding schools in El Paso, you need to do your own research or speak to less prejudice people.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samagamo View Post
We are moving to El Paso, Texas could you recommend me very good places to live with the best public elementary ? I have a 4 and a 6 year old. We currently live in Houston , I have only heard bad stuff as bad education in schools , can anyone living in el Paso help me !
It depends on what you're used to and what your standards are. I would suggest looking at the TAKS scores of the middle and high schools especially in subjects like math and science to help determine how well the elementary school is preparing students. Great schools dot org shows the tests scores and also parental review which can show something about parental involvement.

Old 05-06-2010, 12:22 AM

276 posts, read 805,475 times
I was told by a person on this board about this cool map. Texas School Performance Maps they used it to tell them what part of town they wanted to live in based on the schools performance.

If you look at the El Paso area you can see schools rankings.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
That's a very good map!

In my opinion, it's better to look at the middle school and high schools because that's when the lack of basic skills starts to catch up with the students. There is a problem when so-called top performing elementary schools feed into high schools that are very low performing.

One problem now is the teaching to the test which can temporarily inflate test scores.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:49 AM

730 posts, read 1,895,773 times
I'm one of the biased ones, but far west side (Redd/Resler area) has pretty good schools. We are transplants and several folks we know are also, and we all chose our home location based on schools. The Tippin/Kohlberg/Polk/and now Lundy grouping of elementary schools are pretty good. The middles in that area are Brown (three years old) and Hornedo (newer one, opening next August). They all feed to Franklin H.S. which unfortunately is one of the two largest H.S in El Paso (the other is Coronado, the other West Side H.S.). Tippin, Polk, and Kohlberg are less crowded than in Aug. 2009 since many students were shifted to the new Lundy two months ago. The other new west side elementary school is Herrera.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:12 AM

25 posts, read 96,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samagamo View Post
You have been misinformed. El Paso has some of the best public schools in Texas.
You will want to live in the Socorro ISD, which is east of George Dieter Blvd. As far as test scores go, SISD and neighboring Ysleta are competitive, and both rank highly, but SISD has more creative and innovative approaches, less scripted programs than YISD. Also, most of their schools are newer. In El Paso ISD, it really depends on the school, especially at the elementary level.
If you want to live in an older house, look for a home in the Eastwood/ Scotsdale/ Cielo Vista area on the east side of town. quiet neighborhoods, parks, easy access to stores and the interstate.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:45 PM

276 posts, read 805,475 times
That is not what that map says.. 1meow.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:35 PM

121 posts, read 402,412 times
JM Hanks HS, a 4 out of 10? Seems about right. Jesus Christ, I went to just about the worst schools in the city from k-12. And about 9 out of 10 of them are below 6 in the city. This explains a lot.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:43 PM

254 posts, read 790,222 times
I used to live in El Paso, West side. My child went to Bond elementary and for whatever reason, we tried Da Vinci Charter School,,,Big Mistake! Biggest Mistake!!! My child is a GT student in Bond and Da Vinci is just a total waste of our time!!! I don't think the teachers are even certified and when we wanted to talk to the director of the school, she wouldn't even give us the time of day!!! We sent her a letter regarding our concerns and believe it or not, they arranged for the "new" principal to talk to us after a month, a month after we sent the letter out!!! So, bottom line: Stay away from Da Vinci!!!

Goodluck! Never liked El Paso, i'm glad I was able to get out of that place! Just not for us, hope your family will like it there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: