Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 PM

276 posts, read 805,392 times

Advertisements

I saw a post in the AZ forum about a sea life thing in Tempe.

Do you think El Paso would, or could support something like that here?

Welcome to SEA LIFE Arizonaâ€Â¦ | www.sealifeus.com The Official Web Site of SEA LIFE Aquarium US

I hope it could and would. I would love to SEA something like that here.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLU6MXMi_B4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 02:03 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,136,850 times
Absolutely.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 AM

121 posts, read 402,371 times
Of course I'd love to see an aquarium. But it's all about money. I doubt any financial interest big enough to cover it would build it here. Those things belong in wealthy towns not here. I have a better idea. How about a Joshua tree vendor? I would like to populate this whole city full of those trees.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:44 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,444 times
Sea World in San Antonio has been successful for many years.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM

507 posts, read 1,659,820 times
I can see something like this in El Paso, possibly as part of the zoo or something in downtown. The problem is would it be successful or not.
If the city was to support this, it would probably be in 2015 or later.
And Werone, unfortunately, most of the city's attitude is like that. El Paso is a great city, but the city is years behind other cities its size. it wasnt long ago that El Paso was larger than Austin, Tucson, and Albuquerque MSAs. Now all three of those Metro areas surpassed the El Paso MSA if you don't count Juarez, and it doesnt help that UTEP students that graduate get the hell out as soon as possible because good jobs in El Paso that doesnt involve Call centers are scarce.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:30 PM

We aren't a true metropolitan. That is what hurts us. City versus city, we are in the top 30 in the nation, size wise. Once you factor in all the people, city, and towns surrounded a certain market, you realize how isolated we are - which brings both good and bad things. Economically, our isolation is a hindrance. It is what it is though. We need to fully integrate utilize Juarez and Ft Bliss and see where we actually stand.

People in Dallas do not fully fund and attract all the things they have. It is the Dallas/Ft Worth metropolitan that brings all those events and attractions in. Same thing with Austin, San Antonio, LA, San Diego, Phoenix, etc. There are tons of cities, towns, and people surround all the major markets.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:51 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned

As far as the trees, even that would be an expensive and risky venture, but given the weather I think it's doable for those trees. They're native to the mojave desert.

Last edited by Bo; 05-22-2010 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you were replying to was deleted

Old 05-18-2010, 09:40 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Forget the trees...

The trees you speak of are not native to the El Paso area, and so evironmentalists would not let that fly, and for good reason I suppose.

However, an aquarium is an artificial environment, self contained, so that would fly. I recall going to the zoo when I was a child in El Paso, but there was never an aquarium around. I never saw the beauty of saltwater environments until I went to the resorts in Mexico as a kid and got hooked... now I have a nice marine reef tank with lots of nice corals and fish.

Anyway, there aren't any real aquariums anywhere near El Paso that I know of, I mean one that is not only an exhibit, but a learning center for Marine Biologists, etc. One with 10 foot sharks, octopus, corals, eels, etc. They require lots of water, so that may be an issue, but El Paso does have access to unlimited brine water, it would just be a matter of filtering it, and getting the salinity to a point where it is safe for marine use. I know it is over simplifying it, but you get the idea.

I have not been to the El Paso Zoo in decades, so I cannot say if it would be best to put it there, but it is always a good idea to have them together. Since we are just thinking out loud here... I think it would have been a better idea to relocate the Zoo near the mountains, this would have been a new facilty and could have been built to accomodate a world class aquarium... 'The Aquarium of the Americas' sounds good.

Anyway, an aquarium is a good idea, El Paso would have a sure thing, I hope they would consider it before someone else does... Las Cruses, Albuquerqe, Midland, even Juarez!

Old 05-19-2010, 04:58 AM

Of course the trees aren't native to here, that's the whole point behind mentioning their introduction. But they are from a very hot desert, more similar than where the palm trees are, palm trees that thrive here, to a point.

A real marine aquarium would be in an entirely different league than these trees as far as economics; a league that is well beyond El Paso. If that sounds negative, sorry, but it's reality. Let me put it this way, a basic IMAX would be less of a big deal, and we won't get one of those, either.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enmity View Post
A real marine aquarium would be in an entirely different league than these trees as far as economics; a league that is well beyond El Paso. If that sounds negative, sorry, but it's reality. Let me put it this way, a basic IMAX would be less of a big deal, and we won't get one of those, either.
IMAX simply licenses out their name. The days of actual five story tall independent IMAX theaters are long gone. Different movie theater chains pay a licensing fee and build their own IMAX screen in their theaters. Cinemark-El Paso chose to go with XD instead of IMAX. So that is not out of El Paso's league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso