Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 AM

507 posts, read 1,655,423 times

Advertisements

El Paso To Host 2011 C-USA Conference Tournament - News Story - KVIA El Paso (http://www.kvia.com/news/23606428/detail.html - broken link)

This is great news! El Paso beat out Memphis to host the 2011 C-USA Basketball Touney!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:55 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,117,872 times
This is a huge deal. El Paso stepped up. This was no small accomplishment. Thread after thread complains about El Paso not being progressive. If you are not a college basketball fan then you probably have no idea how impressive this is. It was the conference against us and El Paso won. El Paso did its part, El Pasoans need to do theirs. This is a gateway event to bring bigger and better things. This is the Plaza Theater on a bigger scale. The Plaza stepped up, brought in quality acts, and have consistently sold out the joint. We need to do the same for C-USA tournament. This is a big deal.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:21 PM

276 posts, read 803,339 times
Seems like some are not happy about the decision.

C-USA tournament goes to El Paso - The Memphis Edge

Quote:
I’m surprised by the vote, although UTEP’s reported bid ($1 million) was higher than Memphis’ $750,000.
Quote:
El Paso guaranteed the league $1 million underwritten by the city's tourism tax if the tournament loses money. Blaziek, UTEP Athletic Director Bob Stull and UTEP men's basketball coach Tim Floyd made the presentation to C-USA on Tuesday.
That is scary. But hey I am not a big sports guy, unless I am playing them. But kudos to El Paso, it all came down to the mighty dollar.

I found this while looking for more info.. I thought you would like it.

http://www.kvia.com/slideshow/news/23609704/detail.html

Last edited by SoldierBoyBliss; 05-19-2010 at 05:42 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 PM

507 posts, read 1,655,423 times
I understand Memphis' argument that El Paso is clearly the furthest city out of all of the C-USA teams, and the fact that the Don (12,222 capacity) is considerably smaller than both the BOK Center in Tulsa (17,839 capacity) and the FedEx Forum in Memphis (18,119 capacity), but this is a major win for UTEP for home court advantage.
This victory should also spark the City to build a larger venue than the Don.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM

276 posts, read 803,339 times
We can only hope so smguy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smguy101 View Post
This victory should also spark the City to build a larger venue than the Don.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
Seems like some are not happy about the decision.
Of course not. Memphis wanted the tournament. We got it. That is a great thing for El Paso.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBoyBliss View Post
That is scary.
Not at all. The tourism fund was created exactly for events like this. The tourism tax come from a 5% hotel/motel and car rental tax. It absolutely does not come out of the general found, property taxes, or anything like that. This is a great overall idea.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:32 PM

C-USA basketball tournaments to bring 24 teams to El Paso - El Paso Times

Quote:
Twenty four teams from 11 cities will use the Don Haskins Center for their own personal playground next March, battling for the Conference USA men's and women's basketball titles and hoping to earn an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

Conference USA athletics directors voted Wednesday to hold the 2011 C-USA Basketball Championships on March 7-12, 2011, at the Don Haskins Center. The vote is contingent upon approval from the board of directors, who will meet June 7 in Dallas. That final vote in June is expected to be little more than a formality as the conference tournament returns to El Paso for the first time since 1990.

"I think what Conference USA is going to learn is that we have an extremely sophisticated fan base. They appreciate the players who work hard and know the ones who don't. They have watched great basketball in this city for over 50 years, and they love it. And Conference USA will also find out that the host committees associated with the Sun Bowl, who will have the charge of hospitality, will rise to the occasion. This will be a tremendous week for all who choose to come out and visit the great city of El Paso."

Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,936,451 times
Good for El Paso. The Memphis fans sound like a whiny bunch of brats.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 PM

247 posts, read 603,487 times
I can't believe all the cr*p that is coming out of the Memphis fans. Some of they things they have said is just as bad as what some Oklahoma Sooners fans said about El Paso when they found out that their football team was selected to play in the Sun Bowl. They just need to stop all the whining and complaining about El Paso being too far and how the Don Haskins Center is too small to host the C-USA tournament. Since the conference formed back in 1996, Memphis has hosted the Conference USA tournament about half the time in its existence and hosted it for 5 consecutive seasons from 2005 to 2009 more recently. Sorry, but its El Paso's time! I know the fans will step up and support the tournament and of course our home team, the Miners. This is going to have a great impact for the sun city both economically and for the school itself. I have no doubt for every round that UTEP plays in, it will be sold out. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I really think the Championship game will be between the Miners and the Memphis Tigers. And those tiger fans and players will run into a buzz saw with an electric atmosphere in front of a packed Don Haskins Center and proving to those naysayers that El Paso truly deserved to host the 2011 Conference Tournament!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utelpaso88 View Post
Sorry, but its El Paso's time! I know the fans will step up and support the tournament and of course our home team, the Miners. This is going to have a great impact for the sun city both economically and for the school itself. I have no doubt for every round that UTEP plays in, it will be sold out. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I really think the Championship game will be between the Miners and the Memphis Tigers. And those tiger fans and players will run into a buzz saw with an electric atmosphere in front of a packed Don Haskins Center and proving to those naysayers that El Paso truly deserved to host the 2011 Conference Tournament!
That is the key. We need to pack the DHC. I know we can - cause we have. I just hope we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: