Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM

447 posts, read 1,580,085 times

Advertisements

The title is toned down from what Im really thinking. I need to see if anyone else remembers something or am I nuts. Back when I first started I got Road Runner it came with free basic cable or so I thought. Ive always had it but since my move to this new place I dont anymore. Apparently they no longer have this and Im either nuts for thinking they did or I'm getting . Anyone else ever heard of this offer? Please tell me you have...

Last edited by Bo; 06-01-2010 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: Title was edited to remove consumer complaint. Per TOS, this forum is not the right place for consumer complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,670 times
No more free basic cable. Try AT&T UVerse when it is available in ELP.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 AM

That could be a while before it gets everywhere. I'm definitely looking forward to it though. So do you remember the offer. Either way I'm screwed I just want to know I'm not nuts and they offered that at one time.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 AM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times
I remember back in the days that basic cable was free. Now I have to use an antennae to get my four little channels. Actually I only get three. I just cant afford it. (remember- I couldn't even afford to keep my thermostat at 55. I had to actually turn off the furnance) I dont like Time Warner. My folks had all kinds of problems with their service. They switched to the Dish but you still have to pay for basic with them too.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:09 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,958,589 times
I've had TimeWarner's RoadRunner/TV/DigitalPhone for 4 years and don't remember any 'free basic cable'. I am impressed with their customer service (short wait times & good problem resolution) and that service reps are locals -not in NYC or Pakistan. When I had AT&T I was always banging my head against the wall trying to deal with their dense phone support... if I could get through.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Hmm...maybe I am nuts. It wasn't about the money; if I have to pay I'll pay. It was just what Ive always had though. I haven't had too bad a problem with CS. There have been waits up to 30 min for me and even for my friend recently. When the day comes (hopefully it gets done soon if at all) I will switch to At&t's service which sounds better anyway.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fakeguy View Post
Hmm...maybe I am nuts. It wasn't about the money; if I have to pay I'll pay. It was just what Ive always had though. I haven't had too bad a problem with CS. There have been waits up to 30 min for me and even for my friend recently. When the day comes (hopefully it gets done soon if at all) I will switch to At&t's service which sounds better anyway.
I remember when the very basic cable was $10 a month. It was like channels 02 thru 20 something. I have Direct TV and I am happy with it. When it storms I switch over to rabbit ears. I get HD over the air.

Plus I get NFL Network. Cant go wrong with anything other than Time Warner.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:57 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
Hey Fakeguy, I think I remember what you are talking about. It was not an official offer from Time Warner though. Back in the day, anyone could subscribe to Road Runner w/out having basic cable. People could then split the cable going to their modem and use it to receive basic cable. Very common "trick" back in the day. I think Time Warner figured out a way around that and new installs can't get the free basic cable.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
Hey Fakeguy, I think I remember what you are talking about. It was not an official offer from Time Warner though. Back in the day, anyone could subscribe to Road Runner w/out having basic cable. People could then split the cable going to their modem and use it to receive basic cable. Very common "trick" back in the day. I think Time Warner figured out a way around that and new installs can't get the free basic cable.
That's what I'm thinking only I never saw did it by tricking them. I think they offered it since they couldn't stop it anyways. I was reading somewhere else that now they can block the cable so it's not included anymore. My wife still pays for RR at her moms house and has the free cable she got done when they installed it. She wouldn't steal (or do any trick) no matter how much I try to convince her. Im willing to bet my right foot that it was an offer somewhere. Oh well I figured out what Im going to do anyways...http://www.allysonandjustin.com/guestbook/templates/default/images/smilies/smiley_evil.gif (broken link)

Old 01-27-2009, 03:30 PM

430 posts, read 1,340,118 times
Oh man! I want NFL Network!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso