Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 12:39 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times

Advertisements

Population of El Paso :

1980:425,000
1990:515,000
2000:563,000
2010:665,000

Population of this city explodes, with a very young population in a rich and very competitive state.Do you think this city will be able to compete with other Texas cities like Austin or Dallas ?

Apparently it will surpass Detroit and San Francisco.It's already a good performance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 12:51 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Population of El Paso :

1980:425,000
1990:515,000
2000:563,000
2010:665,000

Population of this city explodes, with a very young population in a rich and very competitive state.Do you think this city will be able to compete with other Texas cities like Austin or Dallas ?

Apparently it will surpass Detroit and San Francisco.It's already a good performance
Surpass San Fran? Nahh, San Fran just moved up two spaced from 14th largest city to 12th largest in the past 6 months.

Surpass Detroit? Possibly, Detroit has been on the downhill, there will be a point in a decade or two now where El Paso and Detroit will switch places, provided that Detroit's economy does not make a recovery. If it does, then it'll start gaining what it lost.

El Paso reaching the same level of importance as Austin or Dallas, no. El Paso in many ways has been ignored by the state too much, the city might be able to match them in population, but unless it becomes like Miami where foreign Latin American companies set up base there, I don't see it happening. However, I do think El Paso is a very important city, especially for trade with Mexico and things like that.
I think El Paso will rise in importance, but never to the same level as the other Texas cities.

As far as population goes, it won't be surpassing San Francisco, but given the trends of Detroit, 2-3 decades or so, it'll meet eye and eye with Detroit.

It's metropolitan population is tiny, El Paso metropolitan area had a population of 751,296. That's one of the main factors preventing El Paso from becoming more important. Until it gets to at least 1.5 million or so, it won't be on the same level as the others. And it's metropolitan population probably won't be surpassing Detroit's this century. 5.5 million people is way to massive to play catch up with.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Surpass San Fran? Nahh, San Fran just moved up two spaced from 14th largest city to 12th largest in the past 6 months.

Surpass Detroit? Possibly, Detroit has been on the downhill, there will be a point in a decade or two now where El Paso and Detroit will switch places, provided that Detroit's economy does not make a recovery. If it does, then it'll start gaining what it lost.

El Paso reaching the same level of importance as Austin or Dallas, no. El Paso in many ways has been ignored by the state too much, the city might be able to match them in population, but unless it becomes like Miami where foreign Latin American companies set up base there, I don't see it happening. However, I do think El Paso is a very important city, especially for trade with Mexico and things like that.
I think El Paso will rise in importance, but never to the same level as the other Texas cities.

As far as population goes, it won't be surpassing San Francisco, but given the trends of Detroit, 2-3 decades or so, it'll meet eye and eye with Detroit.

It's metropolitan population is tiny, El Paso metropolitan area had a population of 751,296. That's one of the main factors preventing El Paso from becoming more important. Until it gets to at least 1.5 million or so, it won't be on the same level as the others. And it's metropolitan population probably won't be surpassing Detroit's this century. 5.5 million people is way to massive to play catch up with.
Detroit MSA = 4.5 million, be careful

I think it's possible for San Francisco, why? Because :
SF in 2000= 776,000 inhabitants
SF in 2008=808,000

The population growth of SF is much slower than El Paso growth.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Detroit MSA = 4.5 million, be careful

I think it's possible for San Francisco, why? Because :
SF in 2000= 776,000 inhabitants
SF in 2008=808,000

The population growth of SF is much slower than El Paso growth.
Lol whoops, 5.4-5.5 million in Detroit CSA. Lol, I always get MSA and CSA mixed...

Yeah but the larger a city becomes the harder it's growth is, Houston is an exception 601 square miles works perfectly. But all the other cities like Dallas, and others, they tend to have suburban growth more.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:43 PM

Yep !

I've question for you : In Sugar Land the largest minority is the Asian group, it's rather rare in Texas, do you know why ? Why SL is so special for them ?

Old 05-23-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Yep !

I've question for you : In Sugar Land the largest minority is the Asian group, it's rather rare in Texas, do you know why ? Why SL is so special for them ?
Yeah Asians generally are the largest minority group in Sugar Land. Nearly 34%.

The main reason is the school system in Sugar Land, Clements high school, Austin High School, Elkins High School, and Dulles High School are some of the best (especially Clements) in the Houston area. Put together with an area that has a big economy, after Houston, Sugar Land is the next place for companies and such, and not to mention affordable housing with a lot of ethnic shops here. Chinese people have their own shopping center near Wel-Farm on Highway 6, Indian people have shops and restaurants scattered throughout Sugar Land, and same for Vietnamese, Korean, Mongolian, and few Japanese people.

It's a great place to raise a family, and in 2006 it was voted "3rd best place to live" by CNN money magazine. The crime rate is very low and it's a physically fit city for the most part.

Sugar Land takes after many of it's American counterparts, like Plano (Dallas), Naperville (Chicago), Queens (NYC), Cupertino (San Jose), etc..

The combination of good schools + affordable housing + cultural restaurants/shops growing = Sugar Land being a Asian destination.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Yeah Asians generally are the largest minority group in Sugar Land. Nearly 34%.

The main reason is the school system in Sugar Land, Clements high school, Austin High School, Elkins High School, and Dulles High School are some of the best (especially Clements) in the Houston area. Put together with an area that has a big economy, after Houston, Sugar Land is the next place for companies and such, and not to mention affordable housing with a lot of ethnic shops here. Chinese people have their own shopping center near Wel-Farm on Highway 6, Indian people have shops and restaurants scattered throughout Sugar Land, and same for Vietnamese, Korean, Mongolian, and few Japanese people.

It's a great place to raise a family, and in 2006 it was voted "3rd best place to live" by CNN money magazine. The crime rate is very low and it's a physically fit city for the most part.

Sugar Land takes after many of it's American counterparts, like Plano (Dallas), Naperville (Chicago), Queens (NYC), Cupertino (San Jose), etc..

The combination of good schools + affordable housing + cultural restaurants/shops growing = Sugar Land being a Asian destination.
Ah I see
It's a good place for a young college graduate guy ? Or it's not really adapted ? I like Houston but I like places with a low crime rate

Old 05-23-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Ah I see
It's a good place for a young college graduate guy ? Or it's not really adapted ? I like Houston but I like places with a low crime rate
Haha, I feel you. The difference is though, you're going to be/are a college graduate and I'm still in college.

Yes, it's a great place to live, low crime, a lot of benefits, and the best of all, great place for diversity. So many people with so many different backgrounds.
Raising a family is a plus here.

But if you're single, and young then it's not really the best place to live, because Sugar Land is centered more on families. For singles and young people Rice Village is a good option or Montrose (I was never able to spell this road properly lol) too. However, the apartments/condos in Town Square in Sugar Land is where most of the singe and young people stay, that's always a good alternative.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:09 PM

Yeah I think I'll begin with a condo in Houston, and later I'll go to Sugar Land with my family ^^ Certainly the bedt thing to do

Old 05-23-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah I think I'll begin with a condo in Houston, and later I'll go to Sugar Land with my family ^^ Certainly the bedt thing to do
Yeah it is the best thing to do. When do you plan on moving out to Houston from France? Got your Visa and things ready for the transfer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso