Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:50 PM

46 posts, read 153,189 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm packing my bags and heading back to EP in two weeks for a couple of days! I've been gone a year and I know a lot of new places have opened up. What would you all recommend I try first? I read online that several opened up downtown one called The Garden and Oasis. Has anyone tried these? Is Chutneys still open? I'm so sick of this bland Tex Mex I could cry!!
Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 10:55 PM

158 posts, read 438,994 times
Tex Mex? Where are you now? Central Texas? I like Tex Mex, but then again, you can't really get it around here. I am sure I also would not care for it if I had it every week. A place opened last year called Crave. We haven't tried it yet, but I hear it is really good. I'm still giddy over Panda Express though. When you don't have (what I have always considered pretty bad, yet ok) Chinese, you really miss it LOL

Old 05-31-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bree~ View Post
Tex Mex? Where are you now? Central Texas? I like Tex Mex, but then again, you can't really get it around here. I am sure I also would not care for it if I had it every week. A place opened last year called Crave. We haven't tried it yet, but I hear it is really good. I'm still giddy over Panda Express though. When you don't have (what I have always considered pretty bad, yet ok) Chinese, you really miss it LOL
We've been spent a couple of months in Fort Worth and now RGV. You would think since we're still so close to the border the food would be a little more Mexican, right? But no...we went to Philly for a couple of days and found a great Mexican restaurant there! Reminded me of EP, so crazy. Yeah, I didn't mind it at first all the yellow cheese and ordering a taco and getting a burrito but after a while you miss what your used to. I could never understand the love of Joe T. Garcia's.

I heard about Crave thats the place that sells that chicken waffle concoction right? I read about it online. How about some place on the Northeast that sells some Turkish food? I too read that online know anything about that?

Old 05-31-2010, 08:04 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
In El Paso, I have long been a patron of Casita Linda on Hondo Pass Drive when I want good Tex/Mex. It rates an A+ from the El Paso BBB.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:34 AM

I have no idea what Crave serves. I've just heard good things about it. We have four little ones, so we don't get out by ourselves often. There are some pretty good Japanese places in town. I'm not sure if they were here the last time you were or not. I am not familiar with a Turkish restaurant in the NE. There is a pretty good place in LC that opened a few months ago. Pecan Grill is right in front of the mall. A girlfriend flew in for business and we had dinner there. The pecan beer was pretty good and my pasta was very good.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:50 PM

Mmmm pecan beer that sounds interesting! I'll try that for sure! I'm sorry the restaurant I was mentioning is a German fast food joint that I guess sells some Turkish food. It's called Doner Kebab. I looked it up just now. Some love it others hate it based on reviews but I'd like to try it none the less. I hear ya about the kids...too bad you cant staple them to chairs!
I kid..I kid really I wouldn't do that

Old 05-31-2010, 03:21 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schog View Post
Well, I'm packing my bags and heading back to EP in two weeks for a couple of days! I've been gone a year and I know a lot of new places have opened up. What would you all recommend I try first? I read online that several opened up downtown one called The Garden and Oasis. Has anyone tried these? Is Chutneys still open? I'm so sick of this bland Tex Mex I could cry!!
Thanks in advance!!
I would not think that there would be much new to see if its only been a year.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I would not think that there would be much new to see if its only been a year.
Actually, there are quite a few new places that have opened up since I left. Pot Au Feu wasn't there when I left along with some place called Maria Bonita and I think a new one called The Federal building? Oh and some Mexican restaurants that crossed over. I've read about some these online but wondered if anyone has been to any of these or am I missing any? I also read about some wine and tapas bar that opened up near Kern place. Has anyone tried that? Ill only be in town for 4 days so I hope to explore the new places along with the old ones.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schog View Post
Mmmm pecan beer that sounds interesting! I'll try that for sure! I'm sorry the restaurant I was mentioning is a German fast food joint that I guess sells some Turkish food. It's called Doner Kebab. I looked it up just now. Some love it others hate it based on reviews but I'd like to try it none the less. I hear ya about the kids...too bad you cant staple them to chairs!
I kid..I kid really I wouldn't do that
My husband loves that place. It's on Dyer near the Cassidy gate. I hate it. My mom is German and I grew up eating German food both at home and when she would take me to Germany. I was very disappointed.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 PM

121 posts, read 402,412 times
Everyone seems to be raving about the food court at the new eastside walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso