Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 01:26 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,098,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely right. Pat Buchanan called David Corn an "elitist" the other day when Corn said that he preferred candidates who have completed college. It seems like a lot of conservatives today are waging a war on education and intelligence. If you've got a four-year degree, you risk being called an elitist.
You just made our argument for us without even realizing it. You're making a false coorelation between the two. So what if you have an education, I care more about who educated you, and what the education consisted of than whether or not you have a college degree. Jospeh Goebells had a doctorate in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 02:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
You just made our argument for us without even realizing it. You're making a false coorelation between the two. So what if you have an education, I care more about who educated you, and what the education consisted of than whether or not you have a college degree. Jospeh Goebells had a doctorate in history.
Hahahahaha!!!!

"Because of his doctorate, Goebbels also feared he would be regarded as a 'bourgeois intellectual,' and consequently he displayed a hostility to intellectuals."

(He went to several different universities btw, like Mrs. Palin. His doctorate was from University of Heidelberg, I think in History and Literature.)

Old 10-11-2010, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
What school did you graduate from? Will I be impressed?

George Washinton didn't graduate from any university. I suppose that makes him stupid in your eyes.

Niether did Abe Lincoln.

But you can't help yourself when it comes to calling people idiots.

If you sit on your butt on Nov. 2 it might be a service to America.
Is the poster you are addressing running for Senate? George Washington and Abraham Lincoln were, uh, some time ago. Every president since Eisenhower has gone to college; most have had advanced degrees.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:40 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The left cant have it both ways. How many times do you hear the left telling people that they are the educated group. That they are more intelligent. Do you want to pretend that the left doesnt look down on those rednecks living in the south with no education. They arent intelligent enough to make a choice for their own lives. That we need those from ivy league schools to make them for us.

Seems the left wants to be elitist, till times like this is doesnt suit them
You guys need to make up your mind. One minute the left are all college educated elites who look down on southern republicans. The next we're the 47% who don't pay taxes and leech off the system with welfare, medicaid and food stamps.

Of course as soon as I post this someone will come back with the response, "Both". Which would make all lefties college educated, elitists who threw their education away to get all the social welfare we could squeeze from the patriotic, republican taxpayer.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Brilliant ad. However, people who claim to be "one of The People", generally are the first to betray "The People".

I hope Christine O'Donnell is different.

But we fled a state where all politicians within our lifetimes built their careers on advertising how crass, low-class, and ignorant they were (and how poor they were as children)(and everything they could think up about how Jesus changed their lives) (and how much they hate Gays and Episcopalians and people who believe in Evolution) (and what 'family values' they had). It was pretty neat, when you knew the real stories behind these people. An easy half of them were practicing Homosexuals, despite their wives and families and loud homophobia. Most of them were well educated, and from backgrounds of relative privilege and prosperity. Under their 'leadership' the state just gets worse and worse.

But this is a captivating ad. I hope she's what she seems to be.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:55 AM

783 posts, read 815,005 times
The right wing is very anti intellectual religiously superstitious bigoted prejudiced.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:07 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I don't think I've ever heard that from the left. A little paranoia on your part maybe?
Open your ears.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
How about an Alvin Greene/Christine O'Donnell ticket in 2012? Now there's a brainpower ticket.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
What school did you graduate from? Will I be impressed?

George Washinton didn't graduate from any university. I suppose that makes him stupid in your eyes.

Niether did Abe Lincoln.

But you can't help yourself when it comes to calling people idiots.

If you sit on your butt on Nov. 2 it might be a service to America.
I agree with most of what you are saying. Will she win or come close? No, and was she a good choice, probably not, so why can't people just forget it and leave it be? I see so many elementary acting kids on this thread (most of them libs) they love to gang up. Oh boy, I am going to join in the nay, nay, nay club..

NIta

Old 10-12-2010, 08:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
The right wing is very anti intellectual religiously superstitious bigoted prejudiced.
No sir, it is quite the opposite: the left wing puts way to much into education. They are usually very narrow minded and very bigoted. They would just like the public to believe they are fair and balanced.

NIta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections