U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2010, 10:54 PM
 
3,174 posts, read 4,084,703 times
Reputation: 1623

Advertisements

Do alcoholics choose to be alchoholics?Some people can have a drink or two and stop.....some people if they have one will have 12.We know that children of alcoholics are more likely to become alcoholics if they drink.....most scientists feel there is a genetic component to alcoholism but people are also more likely to drink if they grow up around it.Where's the big contraversy?I will agree its an apples to oranges comparison but the underlying nature vs nurture aspect is the same.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2010, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
20,092 posts, read 17,260,526 times
Reputation: 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because it they can make people believe you are born gay, then you can make homosexuality into a protected class of people. Bottom line, if it's not a choice, then it's a mental/genetic disorder. You can't have it both ways that it's not a choice and not some kind of disorder. I know Pittston2Sarasota is probably gonna bring links up to the contrary, but I don't think Pitts knows that the APA is a politically biased organization and that homosexuality was removed from the DSM in the 1980s after gay political activist groups put pressure on the APA to remove the classification
Oh please what a load of hate. the only ones that suggest that it was politically motivated are the right wing hate groups that just throw famility into the organization's name. It changed because of Science period. No political motivated gay activists groups. What a bunch of bull.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 11:09 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 25,752,236 times
Reputation: 11728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Oh please what a load of hate. the only ones that suggest that it was politically motivated are the right wing hate groups that just throw famility into the organization's name. It changed because of Science period. No political motivated gay activists groups. What a bunch of bull.
Why is every opinion not from the Left a hateful or bigoted opinion?

I'm not choked on political correctness like you are, and the APA being a predominantly liberal organization, is subject to political correctness. This is exactly like the whole global warming controversy. Your side attacks opinions to the contrary as bigoted or stupid, it doesn't lend much credibility to your argument. Fact of the matter is, the APA removed homosexuality from the DSM in 1980 due to POLITICAL PRESSURE from outside groups.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 11:29 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
20,092 posts, read 17,260,526 times
Reputation: 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why is every opinion not from the Left a hateful or bigoted opinion?

I'm not choked on political correctness like you are, and the APA being a predominantly liberal organization, is subject to political correctness. This is exactly like the whole global warming controversy. Your side attacks opinions to the contrary as bigoted or stupid, it doesn't lend much credibility to your argument. Fact of the matter is, the APA removed homosexuality from the DSM in 1980 due to POLITICAL PRESSURE from outside groups.
Well when hate and bigotry is spewed, its fair to label it as hate and bigotry....

The removal had NOTHING to do with political pressure, it had to do with something called Science and study. To label it as a mental disorder is purely and simply HATE. Thats what it is. Sorry I choose to believe the people who actually study these things for a living over the opinions of groups who spread hate who disguise themselves under the name "family"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 11:39 PM
 
25,058 posts, read 25,752,236 times
Reputation: 11728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well when hate and bigotry is spewed, its fair to label it as hate and bigotry....

The removal had NOTHING to do with political pressure, it had to do with something called Science and study. To label it as a mental disorder is purely and simply HATE. Thats what it is. Sorry I choose to believe the people who actually study these things for a living over the opinions of groups who spread hate who disguise themselves under the name "family"
So what would you call when leftist pundits and radio hosts call for the public on air suicide of conservative personalities and other nasty thins? Just calling it like it is?

Funny, that's what they said about global warming too, that the science is settled and look how much dirt is being dug up on that. This will happen to the homosexual movement as well, the science isn't settled on that either. The APA warns it's member psychologists and psychiatrists to not administer therapy on homosexuality to homosexuals unless it's in a "non social bias" context. Well since the APA and the Left consider homosexuality ok, then it would effectively nullify the member's freedom to administer therapy because treating homosexuality as anything but a natural thing, is a social bias isn't it? I smell politicization here. Just like the whole global warming fiasco, it's all political, not scientific.

Fact: Scientists do lie, and routinely do so, especially when they are pressured to do so (hint: climate change)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2010, 11:50 PM
 
3,378 posts, read 3,494,581 times
Reputation: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Buck's remarks on homosexuality loom after Meet the Press debate - The Denver Post

And Ken Buck is choosing to ignore science. Unfortunately, this is typical of today's Republicans.
and what does the "science" say? what does it say about bisexuals?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 12:50 AM
 
5,994 posts, read 6,457,212 times
Reputation: 3293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Well when hate and bigotry is spewed, its fair to label it as hate and bigotry....

The removal had NOTHING to do with political pressure, it had to do with something called Science and study. To label it as a mental disorder is purely and simply HATE. Thats what it is. Sorry I choose to believe the people who actually study these things for a living over the opinions of groups who spread hate who disguise themselves under the name "family"
yet you get to decide what is "hateful and bigoted", how convenient? Liberal Tolerance is America's greatest oxymoron and you're exhibit A.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
20,092 posts, read 17,260,526 times
Reputation: 4391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
yet you get to decide what is "hateful and bigoted", how convenient? Liberal Tolerance is America's greatest oxymoron and you're exhibit A.
Considering the people who study it for a living and research it don't think homosexuality is a mental disorder, labeling it as such certainly reeks of hate and bigotry. What else is there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
 
1,030 posts, read 3,204,965 times
Reputation: 970
Anybody who thinks being attracted to the same sex is a choice obviously has attraction to their own sex as well, and chooses not to act on it. If you have to choose which sex you marry, you obviously have bisexual tendencies.

Pretty simple guys: Either you get an erection, or you don't. If you get an erection to the same sex, you're gay. An erection is involuntary (try to refute that one,) and therefore not a choice.

Care to argue this, homophobes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2010, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,712 posts, read 12,623,379 times
Reputation: 4165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Buck's remarks on homosexuality loom after Meet the Press debate - The Denver Post

And Ken Buck is choosing to ignore science. Unfortunately, this is typical of today's Republicans.
Trent Lott said the same thing in 1998.

They are very confused. I guess that's why I never went out drinking with Republican guys.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:50 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top