Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:13 AM

29,981 posts, read 43,019,830 times

Advertisements

Democrat for Virginia's 8th district tells troops that their service doesn't matter.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/military-service_511588.html (http://l.wbx.me/l/?instId=a4b5930b-571e-4b66-bc83-ee11091312f4&token=5fba091926fdc0bb252d7a90e3fe839 b261f6c4c0000012bc84bc556&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.weekl ystandard.com%2Fblogs%2Fmilitary-service_511588.html - broken link)

The Washington Examiner reports that Virginia congressman Jim Moran (VA-8) was
videotaped speaking at an October 6th meeting of the Arlington County Democratic Committee, saying: "What [Republicans] do is find candidates, usually stealth candidates, that haven't been in office, haven't served or performed in any kind of public service. My opponent is typical, frankly."

But as the Examiner points out, Moran's opponent "happens to be Col. Patrick Murray (US Army-Ret.), who served 24 years in uniform, was deployed to four different combat zones, including Baghdad, as part of the 2007 troop surge under Gen. David Petraeus, and was even shot at by foreign combatants."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 01:19 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,714,540 times
Jim Moran sucks! I have sent him several emails about issues, and he either replies with a canned response, or a stupid link to his website. Moran is like Pelosi... he's just lucky that he is in a district that blindly votes for name recognition. Hopefully we will wake up this year

Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,245,770 times
I think non-hyper-partisans can understand what Moran is saying. His opponent does not have the government experience that he, Moran, has, and therefore has no record for voters to compare or assess (hence, "stealth candidate"). You don't know Murray's voting record on bills or how he will vote. Moran did not say, "military experience does not matter." You are putting those words into his mouth.

We can thank Col. Murray for his service in the military, but frankly, being shot at is neither here nor there when it comes qualifications for the US House of Representatives.

And Moran will win.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,911,079 times
I do not believe my Viet Nam experiences have qualified me to be a political representative. They do not, any more, let you shoot your opponents in Congress.

Politics is a vastly different game than war and requires a completely different skill set. Considering how much more federal money is spent in Virginia then is taxed I would conclude Moran knows his job.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:03 AM

37,817 posts, read 41,119,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Democrat for Virginia's 8th district tells troops that their service doesn't matter.

But as the Examiner points out, Moran's opponent "happens to be Col. Patrick Murray (US Army-Ret.), who served 24 years in uniform, was deployed to four different combat zones, including Baghdad, as part of the 2007 troop surge under Gen. David Petraeus, and was even shot at by foreign combatants."[/i]
The ad was good until they got to the "apologize" part. Political apologies are a dime a dozen these days and have no real meaning except to acknowledge the apologizer made a political miscalculation when they said what they really mean.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,035,717 times
Default Rep. Moran (D-VA): Serving in Military NOT Public Service

Rep. Moran: Serving in the military isn (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/rep-moran-serving-in-the-military-isnt-public-service-105460193.html - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9URG8nlvAw

Quote:
“What [Republicans] do is find candidates, usually stealth candidates, that haven’t been in office, haven’t served or performed in any kind of public service. My opponent is typical, frankly.â€
Who is his opponent?

Quote:
However, Moran’s opponent happens to be Col. Patrick Murray (US Army-Ret.), who served 24 years in uniform, was deployed to four different combat zones, including Baghdad, as part of the 2007 troop surge under Gen. David Petraeus, and was even shot at by foreign combatants.
If the people in Virginia have any sense, they will retire this doofus.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,714,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not believe my Viet Nam experiences have qualified me to be a political representative. They do not, any more, let you shoot your opponents in Congress.

Politics is a vastly different game than war and requires a completely different skill set. Considering how much more federal money is spent in Virginia then is taxed I would conclude Moran knows his job.
Jim Moran is a "Moron" Your assessment of Moran is wrong. He doesn't do anything for VA. His biggest thing now is that he is trying to protest the military members who have to move (10 miles away) because of the military realignment plan. It is much to do about nothing

We have serious issues, but he dances around them

Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM

958 posts, read 2,626,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Rep. Moran: Serving in the military isn (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/rep-moran-serving-in-the-military-isnt-public-service-105460193.html - broken link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9URG8nlvAw

Who is his opponent?

If the people in Virginia have any sense, they will retire this doofus.
I would think one thread on this was enough.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/elect...oops-your.html

Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,245,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Jim Moran is a "Moron" Your assessment of Moran is wrong. He doesn't do anything for VA. His biggest thing now is that he is trying to protest the military members who have to move (10 miles away) because of the military realignment plan. It is much to do about nothing

We have serious issues, but he dances around them
The impact the Mark Center will have on I-395 traffic and West End Alexandria is a big issue in Alexandria. Many voters would disagree with your "much ado about nothing" characterization of it. It is a serious issue - any discussion of Northern Virginia issues includes the traffic situation.

And Moran's not "protesting the military members," whatever that means.

If you remember the state of the previous Woodrow Wilson bridge, the traffic backups, and how it used to drop chunks of concrete into the river, you can thank Moran for his work authorizing its replacement. Just because you didn't get a hand-written letter and a visit at dinnertime from him doesn't mean he hasn't done a lot for Northern Virginia.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:00 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,507,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
But as the Examiner points out, Moran's opponent "happens to be Col. Patrick Murray (US Army-Ret.), who served 24 years in uniform, was deployed to four different combat zones, including Baghdad, as part of the 2007 troop surge under Gen. David Petraeus, and was even shot at by foreign combatants."[/i]
What service was that for the country?

Same service as the whole barmy war was for the country in the first place. Zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections