Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times

Advertisements

As a American of Cuban descent it is quite easy as to why Rubio won. He speaks Spanish and was all over the airwaves on Spanish tv and he raised a lot of money as well. His immigrant story plays well with most hispanics whether they be Cuban or not.
If anybody saw his ads he acted like he was almost entitled to be Senator simply because he had "made" it in America. It was so cheesy to watch those ads.
Identity politics always works.
Memphis and you are right about Cubans because they really don't care about Mexicans or their plight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Oh I agree, but this thread was about the Florida election, correct?

Rubio wouldn't do so well nationally, because he supports the Arizona immigration law. Cubans don't care, they still get a free ticket into the country when they touch the soil.
They get a lot of free tickets that the American public doesn't know about. I'd love to hear Rubio explain that.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:01 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Quote:
Rubio wouldn't do so well nationally, because he supports the Arizona immigration law. Cubans don't care, they still get a free ticket into the country when they touch the soil.
Was there a Republican who didn't support the Arizona immigration law? I honestly don't know so I'm asking.

I don't know a great deal about Rubio but from the little I've watched of him, he seems fairly reasonable and I suspect he would be more inclined to bi-partisanship than most. This guy is one to keep an eye on in the future.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:06 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Was there a Republican who didn't support the Arizona immigration law? I honestly don't know so I'm asking.

I don't know a great deal about Rubio but from the little I've watched of him, he seems fairly reasonable and I suspect he would be more inclined to bi-partisanship than most. This guy is one to keep an eye on in the future.
Like most Republicans, I agree with most of his economic stances, but the social conservative aspects I despise.

He is against abortion. He's against legalization of marijuana. He is for privatization of social security, and the list goes on and on.

I voted for him because he was the lesser of two evils. I'm hoping that the heat of Washington will temper his positions on social stuff, and maybe he will realize that while he is personally against certain things, that doesn't mean the government should be legislating them for us.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Like most Republicans, I agree with most of his economic stances, but the social conservative aspects I despise.

He is against abortion. He's against legalization of marijuana. He is for privatization of social security, and the list goes on and on.

I voted for him because he was the lesser of two evils. I'm hoping that the heat of Washington will temper his positions on social stuff, and maybe he will realize that while he is personally against certain things, that doesn't mean the government should be legislating them for us.
Hey, you'll find no argument from me on this as social conservatives are lovers of big government and tend to be more inclined towards the War Party, which I find irrational and something more akin to bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia.

As you say, maybe Washington will temper him, hard to say, but like I said, the little I've heard from him, he seems reasonable.

The abortion issue is pretty much cookie cutter party politics, I mean I'm pro-life, even if I do vote in favor of pro-choice, as everyone should have the right to make this choice in my opinion, an opinion I'm sure many will disagree with. The Marijuana thing, well I figure that is probably at least 8-10 years away from being legalized as I see it as an inevitability really, but in the meantime they have to talk to their base.

I forget what exactly he said during his victory speech but I noticed that some of the Republicans looked a bit shocked that he wasn't frothing at the mouth in an attack stance, but I see this as a positive thing and I look for silver linings anywhere I can. I'll probably end up wrong as I often am, but I figure if you're going to dream, dream big.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Hey, you'll find no argument from me on this as social conservatives are lovers of big government and tend to be more inclined towards the War Party, which I find irrational and something more akin to bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia.

As you say, maybe Washington will temper him, hard to say, but like I said, the little I've heard from him, he seems reasonable.

The abortion issue is pretty much cookie cutter party politics, I mean I'm pro-life, even if I do vote in favor of pro-choice, as everyone should have the right to make this choice in my opinion, an opinion I'm sure many will disagree with. The Marijuana thing, well I figure that is probably at least 8-10 years away from being legalized as I see it as an inevitability really, but in the meantime they have to talk to their base.

I forget what exactly he said during his victory speech but I noticed that some of the Republicans looked a bit shocked that he wasn't frothing at the mouth in an attack stance, but I see this as a positive thing and I look for silver linings anywhere I can. I'll probably end up wrong as I often am, but I figure if you're going to dream, dream big.
He's not just pro life, he is for repeal of RvW. Chris Christie, for instance, is pro life personally, but wouldn't vote to overturn RvW.

I believe he said that Republicans have to not spend money and make the same mistakes that they did under the Bush administration.

Pretty much, Rubio is the best version of a Tea Party candidate they could ask for. Still won't win a national election that way.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
He's not just pro life, he is for repeal of RvW. Chris Christie, for instance, is pro life personally, but wouldn't vote to overturn RvW.

I believe he said that Republicans have to not spend money and make the same mistakes that they did under the Bush administration.

Pretty much, Rubio is the best version of a Tea Party candidate they could ask for. Still won't win a national election that way.
Nearly every Republicans candidate running for office says this, but when it comes time to progress legislation, little ever gets done. In fact, I point this out to social conservatives who embrace the neoconservatives back even prior to Bush's election in 2000. From 1996 to 2006, what social conservative legislation or agenda was truly progressed? Neoconservatives use social conservatives as a voting bloc and soldiers, they don't give a damn what they want, they just tell them what they want to hear. In the end, social conservatives get what they usually get, bunk.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:40 AM

433 posts, read 953,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As a American of Cuban descent it is quite easy as to why Rubio won. He speaks Spanish and was all over the airwaves on Spanish tv and he raised a lot of money as well. His immigrant story plays well with most hispanics whether they be Cuban or not.
If anybody saw his ads he acted like he was almost entitled to be Senator simply because he had "made" it in America. It was so cheesy to watch those ads.
Identity politics always works.
Memphis and you are right about Cubans because they really don't care about Mexicans or their plight.

and does the Mexican propaganda and La Raza groups care about other Hispanics or American groups? They do not even care about USA nationals with all their Viva Mexico!, We-Own-this-Land mentality and hatred to everything that has done this country great. Either way, the South Florida hispanics community which includes Cubans, Colombians, and now Venezuelans is SO different to other hispanics community across the country that's not even worth it to compare them.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Seeing as how most Latinos in Florida are Cubans like Rubio, i think 55% is actually underperforming in that community. He wouldn't even get more than 10% in other heavily Latino laden states. Of all Latinos in Florida, his 55% total might actually mean that the only Latinos who voted for him were Cubans...and he may have even underperformed among Cubans!!!

Truth is, Rubio won because Kendrick Meek stayed in the race.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Seeing as how most Latinos in Florida are Cubans like Rubio, i think 55% is actually underperforming in that community. He wouldn't even get more than 10% in other heavily Latino laden states. Of all Latinos in Florida, his 55% total might actually mean that the only Latinos who voted for him were Cubans...and he may have even underperformed among Cubans!!!

Truth is, Rubio won because Kendrick Meek stayed in the race.
If Meek had fallen out, I have the feeling that many Democrats simply would have stayed home. I know several that did even with him on the ticket.

Crist was a flat out mind changing politician. No better than Arlen Specter.

The reason Meek was asked to stay on the ticket originally was so that other states wouldn't lose African American votes because the only Democratic minority Senate candidate was Meek. They thought he'd drop out later, so he signed his own political suicide note by staying in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections