Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times

Advertisements

Mitt Romney, runner-up (more or less; Mike Huckabee also has a claim to that position) to John McCain in the 2008 Republican primaries, has resigned from the board of directors of the Marriott hotel chain. This appears to be part of the process of 'clearing his plate' before another Presidential bid. It is worth noting that he previously served on the board before resigning to run for Governor of Massachusetts.
Romney resigns from Marriott board – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Some will claim that Mitt "I like mandates!" Romney can't win the GOP nomination due to the health care reform in Massachusetts that he championed and enacted as Governor. But then, four years ago many claimed that McCain couldn't win the 2008 GOP nomination because he had called the religious right "agents of intolerance", he had opposed the Bush tax cuts, he had waffled on Roe v. Wade, and so forth. Yet McCain did win the nomination without too much difficulty after disavowing those positions.

We will see how Romney fares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Default Ugh

That should be 2012, of course.

Too bad I proofread everything except the title...

Old 01-13-2011, 01:39 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Mitt Romney, runner-up (more or less; Mike Huckabee also has a claim to that position) to John McCain in the 2008 Republican primaries, has resigned from the board of directors of the Marriott hotel chain. This appears to be part of the process of 'clearing his plate' before another Presidential bid. It is worth noting that he previously served on the board before resigning to run for Governor of Massachusetts.

Some will claim that Mitt "I like mandates!" Romney can't win the GOP nomination due to the health care reform in Massachusetts that he championed and enacted as Governor. But then, four years ago many claimed that McCain couldn't win the 2008 GOP nomination because he had called the religious right "agents of intolerance", he had opposed the Bush tax cuts, he had waffled on Roe v. Wade, and so forth. Yet McCain did win the nomination without too much difficulty after disavowing those positions.

Very interesting: I think Romney has more than one thing going against him. Being moderate is just the start, he has the health care issue, has to deal with being a Mormon, doesn't have the most likable personality and the Republicans will think twice before making the same mistake again (I hope) This is just my view, 9 months down the road i might feel very differently.

Nita

Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
I think Romney is the most sensible Republican possible candidate. I haven't followed him but he at least seems to be of sound mind, and reasonably centrist.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:04 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
when did it become diseased to be a moderate? that's what i want, a moderate. someone who can go to the left, and can go to the right.

this left wing, right wing crap, one way or the other imo is the worst way to go.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:12 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,649 times
I hope he can win the nomination. He is much smarter than most of the popular tea-party candidates. Reading his book makes you feel like your hearing from a very intelligent person, the opposite reaction I got from reading Sarah Palin's book. I'll be really disappointed if people actually don't vote for him because he's a Mormon. Surely we can look past religion by now!

Old 01-13-2011, 06:06 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post

He's like another flip-flop Mccain. when he was gov of mass, he was pro-gay and lesbian friendly, but then acted like Hitler when marriage equality was ordered in his state. He dug deep into the Mass Archives and found an obscure 1913 law that was originally meant to make interr-racial out-of-staters from marrying in mass in that era. He did this just to burnish his "conservative" credentials and politically prove to the haters that he was just as hateful as they were. Mccain is doing the same act right now to shore up the right wingers in his state. If these idiots didn't politicize everything that they do and act more with their head and heart, they'd earn more respect from some voters.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
The guy is a stiff...the flip-flopping & magic underwear thing will kill him. No crowd appeal.

Old 01-13-2011, 06:15 PM

22 posts, read 106,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
He's like another flip-flop Mccain. when he was gov of mass, he was pro-gay and lesbian friendly, but then acted like Hitler when marriage equality was ordered in his state. He dug deep into the Mass Archives and found an obscure 1913 law that was originally meant to make interr-racial out-of-staters from marrying in mass in that era. He did this just to burnish his "conservative" credentials and politically prove to the haters that he was just as hateful as they were. Mccain is doing the same act right now to shore up the right wingers in his state. If these idiots didn't politicize everything that they do and act more with their head and heart, they'd earn more respect from some voters.
I agree! Mitt Romney is a flip-flop! He acts like he is so conservative at tea party rallies but when he ran for governor in MA he tried to look liberal. He is also a Mormon and just like Harry Reid (also a mormon) supports abortion and homosexual rights which goes totally against Mormonism. I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them drank alchohol and coffee!!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
I think Romney is the most sensible Republican possible candidate. I haven't followed him but he at least seems to be of sound mind, and reasonably centrist.
could that be because you are a liberal?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections