U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 04:19 AM

29,018 posts, read 50,200,595 times

Advertisements

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) -- Democratic presidential contender John Edwards on Monday criticized former President Clinton, arguing that he allowed corporate insiders to shape the 1993 North American Free Trade Agreement that has cost U.S. jobs.

Edwards' complaints about the former president beloved by voters in his own party was a defiant move meant to highlight rival Hillary Clinton's relationship with special interests.

It comes two days after Clinton refused Edwards' challenge to stop taking campaign donations from lobbyists, saying many represent good causes.

Edwards slams President Clinton over trade deal - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/08/06/edwards.clinton.trade.ap/index.html - broken link)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:52 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,298,898 times
I agree with John Edwards. The Clintons are the patsies of thier big business compatiots (on the board of Wal-mart). This is the primary reason I do not support Ms. Clinton's canidacy.

I prefer Richardson, Edwards, and Obama in that order.

I do not think any of the Republicans are eern remotely qualified or would be good for the people of this country.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:43 PM

541 posts, read 1,154,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I agree with John Edwards. The Clintons are the patsies of thier big business compatiots (on the board of Wal-mart). This is the primary reason I do not support Ms. Clinton's canidacy.

I prefer Richardson, Edwards, and Obama in that order.

I do not think any of the Republicans are eern remotely qualified or would be good for the people of this country.
What about Ron Paul?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:37 PM

1,463 posts, read 5,846,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
What about Ron Paul?
I'll take Homer Simpson over Paul

Old 08-07-2007, 11:31 PM

18,696 posts, read 38,343,255 times
NAFTA. North American Firearms Training Area. A one mile strip one mile wide along the border, designed as target practice. There's no limit, however you can have no more then 2 in your freezer.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:06 PM

8,321 posts, read 14,070,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
NAFTA. North American Firearms Training Area. A one mile strip one mile wide along the border, designed as target practice. There's no limit, however you can have no more then 2 in your freezer.
I like the sound of that... very much so.

Back to the topic, they are just now speculating and reporting that NAFTA is responsible for unemployment? Wow. Shows how many people have to lose their job through free trade and cheap labor in Mexico before somebody actually brings it up.

My mom was laid off because the rubbermaid facility she worked in was shut down for a cheaper plant in Mexico... they were given one week's notice.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 AM

645 posts, read 838,968 times
Smile NAFTA etc.

John Edwards has consistantly made sensible points throughout his campaign. Instead of pegging him an ambulance chaser it would be wise to examine his background and his deeds on behalf of the middle-class. While many voters migrate to the candidates with more clout and name appeal people like Edwards, Paul and Kusinich merit consideration IMO.

Seeing an opportunity to align himself with a large visible program Clinton allowed the US to be badly represented in negotiations with Mexico, & Canada. Proper safeguards for US workers were negated by simpe verbal gestures leaving millions of manufacturing jobs destroyed and our country on an uncertain path to become a debtor nation in perpetuity. The US faces a trade deficit nearing $1 trillion a year. What exactly has Washington done to remedy this situation? Einstein said "INSANITY:doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results".

IMHO Clinton never was a DEM. as defined by previous astute DEM. Presidents. I can easily imagine Clinton wording away Edwards challenge to refuse lobbyists money by saying 'some have good causes'. The fact is lobbying is a crucial core issue and it should be suspended while reforms are made to eliminate the lobbyists. From 1998 to 2004 lobbiest spent nearly $13 billion to not only influence legislation , but in certain instances to actually write the language of the laws and regulations they sought. US citizens pay the price in products they puchase and a even higher price for the self serving favors they the lobbyist attain.
If a constituant corresponds with their Rep. they won't get the attention allocated to the lobbyist--we are lucky to get a errant form letter written by Monica's step sister. If for no other reason the lobbyists must go to restore the American citizens confidence in their reps. and their Gov't. as a whole.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 AM

7,730 posts, read 13,154,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
I'll take Homer Simpson over Paul
Paul wants to get rid of NAFTA and get out of the WTO. managed trade is not "free" trade.

Edwards is the best remaining candidate on the DNC side.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:54 AM

17,288 posts, read 27,007,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Clinton is not on the board of Wal-Mart. She hasn't been since... what? The early 1990s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW

I'm going for Hillary or Edwards. Otherwise, I'm going Republican so long as it's not Huckabee. American Idol Obama and Huckabeastiality will NEVER get my vote, and I have heard many say the same living in this state that actually matters come election time.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:00 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,926,734 times
Edwards is being honest about the problems facing our country, Ron Paul is also as candid.

Where Edwards and Paul supporters differ is the solution of fixing these problems; Edwards wants the government to fix it (itself) and Paul thinks the government should back off and let people pursue life, liberty and happiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections