Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,068,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I looked up the magazine. Had never heard of it. If this is your idea of a left leaning magazine, then what would you call Mother Jones or the Nation? Those are left leaning magazines. This is just a fluff magazine.

As for Kinky whatever, he is basically saying that Perry is a neo-con. That is what I kind of figured anyway.

"As a Jewish cowboy (or “Juusshh,” as we say in Texas), I know Rick Perry to be a true friend of Israel, like Bill Clinton and George W. before him. There exists a visceral John Wayne kinship between Israelis and Texans, and Rick Perry gets it. That’s why he’s visited Israel on many more occasions than Obama, who’s been there exactly zero times as president. If I were Obama I wouldn’t go either. His favorability rating in Israel once clocked in at 4 percent. Say what you will about the Israelis, but they are not slow out of the chute. They know who their friends are. On the topic of the Holy Land, there remains the little matter of God. God talks to televangelists, football coaches, and people in mental hospitals. Why shouldn’t he talk to Rick Perry? In the spirit of Joseph Heller, I have a covenant with God. I leave him alone and he leaves me alone. If, however, I have a big problem, I ask God for the answer. He tells Rick Perry. And Rick tells me."
But what you just quoted is something I like about Rick Perry and I think Kinky Friedman is an entertaining writer. And just for the record, I like ZZ Top and have seen them perform...but Rick Perry wasn't the drummer. I have seen Kinky before on the news shows but I did not know he also had a talent for the written word. I may do some research and see if he has a book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,078 times
Not a fan of Kinky Friedman myself and not sure what to think of this endorsement. This all just gets stranger and stranger.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:45 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,963,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Not a fan of Kinky Friedman myself and not sure what to think of this endorsement. This all just gets stranger and stranger.
Kind of like getting an endorsement from Michael Jackson.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:55 PM

485 posts, read 1,456,419 times
Kinky Friedman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, I don't see the similarity to Michael Jackson.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:30 PM

277 posts, read 577,830 times
hotair, unless you live in Texas its unlikely you've heard of TEXAS Monthly. That still doesn't change the fact that its a really, really good magazine. I've heard people call it ultra left, but that's a joke. Its leans left but mostly just calls out BS in general.

But to the point, its no surprise that Kinky would endorse Perry seeing as how he helped re-elect him in 2006.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,185,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Kind of like getting an endorsement from Michael Jackson.

Or even weirder, maybe if Michael Jackson weren't dead.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:25 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,481,374 times
Perry has a long road ahead of him with the GOP...

Old 08-27-2011, 06:59 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,453,407 times
Lightbulb Those of us familiar with it know that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marysally View Post
He writes frequent columns in Texas Monthly a pretty respected left leaning magazine, in case you aren't familiar with it.
...Texas Monthly is about as left-leaning as Southern Living.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:58 AM

485 posts, read 1,456,419 times
Please read the other posts; I am not the only one who said it. That is the general reputation. And I also added the caveat, "for Texas".

Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,703,626 times
I'm gonna vote for Perry because I'm in a Kinky mood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections