Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who would you vote for in the general election?
Obama 15 57.69%
Perry or Romney 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Taxes are low already (except corporate taxes). It is the Republican war mongering which turns people off. Perry made a speech yesterday which could have been written my Cheney himself. It sounded like 2002 and the "build a case for Iraq" speeches all over again.
I can't agree with you more. They are just trying to scare ignorant Americans that can't even find Iran on a map. Make them think Iran is going to and has the capability to start launching nukes at the US, so we need to go in and start an even larger full scale war, while lowering taxes again. NEVER have we reduced taxes (yet alone twice) during a time of war, Republican or Democrat. This is irresponsible spending too. If I have to vote for a mainstream Democrat or a mainstream Republican, I'll take the Democrat. If the government is going to waste my taxes, I'd rather them waste the bulk of it here in the US vs overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I can't agree with you more. They are just trying to scare ignorant Americans that can't even find Iran on a map. Make them think Iran is going to and has the capability to start launching nukes at the US, so we need to go in and start an even larger full scale war, while lowering taxes again. NEVER have we reduced taxes (yet alone twice) during a time of war, Republican or Democrat. This is irresponsible spending too. If I have to vote for a mainstream Democrat or a mainstream Republican, I'll take the Democrat. If the government is going to waste my taxes, I'd rather them waste the bulk of it here in the US vs overseas.
You forget that democrats were in power during the worst wars in America's history:

WWI
WWII
Vietnam

Both parties are guilty of war mongering

But if not Ron Paul, then I'll take a candidate who won't shut down whole industries for political gain. Anyway you put it, Obama's policies (all of them) are job killers. Better with a pro-corporate republican in there who will encourage companies to start hiring again.

Both Obama and Republicans are in lobbyists pockets anyway. Might as well choose the one that won't cause unemployment to go through the roof. That certainly isn't good for America (here at home!)

Old 08-30-2011, 11:08 AM

309 posts, read 427,835 times
We are voting for Ron Paul, again.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:10 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
You forget that democrats were in power during the worst wars in America's history:

WWI
WWII
Vietnam

Both parties are guilty of war mongering

But if not Ron Paul, then I'll take a candidate who won't shut down whole industries for political gain
If anything has proven to be correct is things change overtime. What used to be the Republican Party no longer is. What used to be the Democratic Party no longer is. The Republican Party used to be against wars and getting involved in international conflicts, while Democrats were more keen to this idea. We have been seeing a reversal among parties over the past decades.

Also, the scary trend among Republicans in recent times is their belief in PRE-EMPTIVE war. The other recent trend is war without sacrifices. I'm sure if Bush said, we will need to draft soldiers and increase taxes on everyone by 5% to invade Iraq, it would NOT have happened. Instead, we have virtually every Republican politician threatening Iran with war and condemning Obama for withdrawing from Afghanistan and Iraq too fast, yet they want to give a THIRD tax break to the top 2%.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM

888 posts, read 886,775 times
Quote:
Also, the scary trend among Republicans in recent times is their belief in PRE-EMPTIVE war. The other recent trend is war without sacrifices. I'm sure if Bush said, we will need to draft soldiers and increase taxes on everyone by 5% to invade Iraq, it would NOT have happened. Instead, we have virtually every Republican politician threatening Iran with war and condemning Obama for withdrawing from Afghanistan and Iraq too fast, yet they want to give a THIRD tax break to the top 2%.
I used to fall for the preemptive war BS - meaning that I *thought* it was a real philosophy that some politicians actually believed and accepted as justification.

Listening to Ron Paul, he has come out and said that Israel can take care of itself with their hundreds of nuclear missiles vs Iran's half of one missile.

And one would assume that this info is available to the Republican candidates. Any logical person going to Vegas would bet on Israel, since they have the superior weaponry.

Therefore, if a candidate starts talking about preemptive war, we can say it is just a dishonest excuse to hide the real reasons. The politicians really do not believe Iran is a threat, but they want to go to war with them anyway. They just use the Iran nuclear missile development program as a way to sell it to the people.

So, the question is - if Israel can take care of itself, why would we want to invent an excuse to go to war with Iran, if they are not posing us any threat? Ron Paul talks about this in interviews. Ron Paul has been in Congress for a long time, and I think he has his ideas why the candidates are pro-attack Iran, but he is staying classy to not accuse anyone (yet) and instead chooses to educate the populace with facts. I love this guy.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
So many people trying to figure out the Ron Paul factor and pick up votes.

LOL good luck.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,089 times
Quote:
Ok hear me out on this...

Their rhetoric points to them being on Paul's side of a lot of issues:
including smaller government, cutting spending, auditing the fed, lowering taxes, pro-life...list goes on and on...
rhetoric = lies to win votes. look at their voting records. there is only one other republican even in the race that can claim to have a foot to stand on as far as lower taxes are concerned, and that is huntsman, who is just as big-government as the rest.

none of the rest of the issues have anyone that i see as particularly capable of or historically prone to champion.

Quote:
But whether or not they will fulfill these promises is anyone's guess. They might... or they might not (like W, who ended up being a huge neocon).
if you think it is up in the air as to whether they will fight for those causes, you have a lot more faith in them than i do. but i don't buy it. i am pretty sure that you know as well as i do that everyone of them is pro-big government, and there is no way to maintain big government with lower taxes, more liberties, fewer government intrusions, etc. they are not compatible.

so, no. i don't think it is even remotely "up in the air" as to whether or not they rest of the republicans will end up fighting for traditional conservative values.

they won't. end of story.

Quote:
However, with Obama, you are guaranteed more spending, bigger government, more taxes, Keynesian economics. You are guaranteed the opposite of what Ron Paul stands for.
as is the case with romney, perry, bachmann, and probably huntsman as well. they've already proven that in their previous political histories. what makes you think that they are going to change for the better now?

Quote:
It just depends on what you want... do you want a candidate (Obama) who guarantees the opposite of Ron Paul? Or do you want to take a chance (republican) with a candidate who may end up doing some of what Ron Paul wants?
i do not want either. i want a candidate that can prove to me that they are more than the normal ass-kissing-to-get-their-own-asses-kissed movie-stars that have no intention of doing anything good for the public. most of these candidates just want fame and fortune––that's it.

people laugh at palin, but at least she's honest (in deed, if not in word) about what she values. the others swear up and down that they serve america, but their voting histories and the favors done for their corporate buddies tells a very different story. EDIT: to clarify, i am one of those that laughs at palin, but i don't suffer any confusion as to where her allegiances lie (the dollar signs in her eyes give it away...).

but that is all beside the point. you don't know why the liberals are voting for ron paul. you might have heard a few of them detail a couple of points, but that doesn't mean that you understand the rest of their thought processes or political ideologies, much less the thousands of them that you have heard nothing from.

that means that you can't really make any sort of judgment whatsoever as to whether they would be hypocritical to turn back and vote obama into a second term.

you are focusing on what it is about paul that you support and understand: downsizing government and social interference or whatever. but there is a different perspective that you are ignorant to, as evidenced by your accusations. they might be voting for paul for different reasons entirely, even if those reasons go through the filter of wanting a smaller government.

Quote:
I am a huge Ron Paul supporter and really hope he gets the nomination this time. I've donated a lot to his campaign. But if he doesn't get the nod-- I'll take the "chance" (republican) over the "guarantee" (Obama)
if you are a paul supporter, you must be one of those "conspiracy theorists" and internet celebrity fanboys that atxcio was accusing us all of being.

Quote:
I was talking about traditional republican values
good to hear. i was worried for a moment that you meant otherwise. disregard that portion of my post then.

Quote:
Traditional Republican values no longer exist in the Republican Party. I guess they still push for low taxes, but they want a huge empire, so it discredits the entire way low taxes work. You can only have low taxes if you have a small government. Republicans want low taxes and a large international empire, which is just unrealistic and mathematically impossible.
you said it better than i did.

Quote:
They may, or they may not. W campaigned on less interventionism in 2000... he ended up lying about this... but because of one bad apple I don't think we can paint with a large brush
this is apparently one of the places where we are going to disagree. i don't see the republican party as tainted by one bad apple. i see it as corrupt, dishonest and ridiculous as the far left.

Quote:
We don't really know what we will get with Perry or Romney... but we are certain what we will get with Obama.
i am confident in the big government, deeper debt, higher taxes, more intrusive "safety" measures and similar nonsense that we will get under current republican guidance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Neither. I will never vote for either one of the big parties, unless Ron Paul wins the Republican nomination. I will vote Libertarian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I will vote for Ron Paul.
same here.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:30 AM

313 posts, read 834,035 times
Obama or any of the other Republican candidates would all be more of the same. I will vote for Ron Paul or 3rd party, that's it. Am also leaving the Republican party after this cycle. I'm done with their lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections