Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Saying the government has looted Social Security is another favorite falsehood perpetrated by the right wing. The SS fund is transferred into US Treasury Bills which, for those not aware, is the safest and most coveted financial instrument on the planet. Even with the world economy in it's present dire straits, the demand for US TBills has never been higher on the world markets. What did you expect them to do with the SS revenue? Shove it under the matress in the White House?
Incorrect. In 1968 the Democrat controlled Congress began funneling all Social Security revenues directly into the General Fund. The General Fund is used to pay for all discretionary spending, and anything else Congress desires. The reason the Democrats did this was to pay for LBJ's "Great Society" and "War on Poverty."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 11:30 AM

20,476 posts, read 12,398,694 times
What is a U.S. Treasury Bill?

It is a good question that should be defined considering the turn of the conversation here.

A Treasury Bill is an IOU from the U. S. Federal Government.

A government that is fast going broke.... with a president who believes the best way to keep the government from going broke is to borrow more money to pay the interest on the debt the government currently has....

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 AM

If Rick Perry said the sky was blue, liberals would call him a liar and a monster because on some days its cloudy.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:43 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,671,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
If Rick Perry said the sky was blue, liberals would call him a liar and a monster because on some days its cloudy.
I know this is true in my case. I wouldn't believe anything Rick Perry said even if his tongue was notorized.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Incorrect. In 1968 the Democrat controlled Congress began funneling all Social Security revenues directly into the General Fund. The General Fund is used to pay for all discretionary spending, and anything else Congress desires. The reason the Democrats did this was to pay for LBJ's "Great Society" and "War on Poverty."
Yes, but not until the amount deposited in the General Fund has been converted into US TBills and SS gets credit for that amount.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,469,696 times
Quote:
What is a U.S. Treasury Bill?

It is a good question that should be defined considering the turn of the conversation here.

A Treasury Bill is an IOU from the U. S. Federal Government.

A government that is fast going broke.... with a president who believes the best way to keep the government from going broke is to borrow more money to pay the interest on the debt the government currently has....
Correct. There are two pieces to the National Debt; 1) The publicly held portion; and 2) the intergovernmental debt. Currently, the publicly held portion of the $14.7 trillion National Debt is around $10.2 trillion and the intergovernmental portion is around $4.5 trillion. Social Security accounts for around $3 trillion of that intergovernmental portion of the National Debt.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I know this is true in my case. I wouldn't believe anything Rick Perry said even if his tongue was notorized.
thank you for making my point....

Old 08-29-2011, 12:29 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,331,240 times
It would have substained itself if the politicians would have left it alone and stopped "borrowing" from it and never paid back what they took (plus interest)

Old 08-29-2011, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
and that is really pretty sad: it is hard for me to beleive anyone is so narrow minded as to actually say they wouldn't believe a word someone said..Oh well, there is no changing you and you certainly have a right to your views.

Nita

Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
thank you for making my point....
You're quite welcome. Anytime I can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections