Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If Ron Paul did not win the GOP nomination, I'd vote the following way if he ran as an indepedent ca
I'd vote for Paul if he ran independent, but if he didn't I'd vote Obama 5 33.33%
I'd vote for Paul if he ran independent, but if he didn't I'd vote GOP (Romney/Perry) 3 20.00%
I wouldn't vote for Paul if he ran independent, I'd vote Obama instead. 2 13.33%
I wouldn't vote for Paul if he ran independent, I'd vote GOP (Romney/Perry) instead. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,689,464 times

Advertisements

Its funny that no matter what some how Obama is the other option or the GOP nominee.

I already know that the GOP nominee will be if not Paul and Obama is never someone I would vote for because of the big government thinking.

So I will have other options and that is to not vote at all because its a waste of time I will get crap from Obama and the GOP nominee. So I will have to see what other options AMERICA can put on the table for liberty.

I vote on princple not the stupidity of more government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:56 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,964,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'm channeling my inner Dave Carney, and wanted to find out a little bit more about the Ron Paul supporter base. Specifically, to all you Ron Paul supporters out there:

If Ron Paul didn't win the GOP nomination, would you vote for him if he ran as an independent? If not, where would your vote go? Democrat or Republican?

The reason I ask may not be completely obvious, but I guarantee it will become relevant come this time next year. For those who want to learn more about why I'm asking, read one of the following article about the new "Karl Rove":

Dave Carney, Rick Perry's Secret Weapon

The Outsider - The Texas Observer
As an Independent I would seriously consider Paul, IF he gets the GOP nomination. I would add his running mate would be very important because of his age. If he runs as an Independent, I will vote Obama, the reason is he would not have his Parties support meaning he would be a lame duck President right out of the gates, that would not be good for the Nation. Oh, and the rest of the GOP candidates are either past retreads, rejects, neo-cons or moonbat crazy so here is no way I would support any of them.
Casper

Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
I'm sorry about not offering the third party option. That should have been in there.

Anyway, I guess the results point to maybe 50% or so of Ron Paul voters would lean Obama if their candidate wasn't an option in the general election.

So I bring up this topic because it's no secret that independent candidates have benefited Rick Perry in the past. I think the idea is that if you can't win independents, then at least split them so your opponent doesn't get them all. That may have happened in the last 2 Texas Gubernatorial elections. And it certainly happened in 2004, when current Perry strategist Dave Carney lobbied successfully to get Nader on the ballot of certain states. Nader split off some independents that might have voted for Kerry, but would have never been inclined to vote for Bush.

Will the technique play out again? I'm torn, because I don't necessarily want to see Paul taken advantage of... but on the other hand, ruthless campaigning is what wins elections. And nothing would be more ruthless than getting Paul to run as an independent, simply to split those votes that Perry could never get. It will be interesting to watch.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:39 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,373,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I'm sorry about not offering the third party option. That should have been in there.

Anyway, I guess the results point to maybe 50% or so of Ron Paul voters would lean Obama if their candidate wasn't an option in the general election.

So I bring up this topic because it's no secret that independent candidates have benefited Rick Perry in the past. I think the idea is that if you can't win independents, then at least split them so your opponent doesn't get them all. That may have happened in the last 2 Texas Gubernatorial elections. And it certainly happened in 2004, when current Perry strategist Dave Carney lobbied successfully to get Nader on the ballot of certain states. Nader split off some independents that might have voted for Kerry, but would have never been inclined to vote for Bush.

Will the technique play out again? I'm torn, because I don't necessarily want to see Paul taken advantage of... but on the other hand, ruthless campaigning is what wins elections. And nothing would be more ruthless than getting Paul to run as an independent, simply to split those votes that Perry could never get. It will be interesting to watch.
Paul will be all the way out if he does not get the GOP nod. He understands reality that a 3rd party has no chance since the major parties have the decked stacked to hold onto their power. That is the only reason why Paul is in the {R} party and to try to reform it from with in. Like I stated in another of your threads it is doubtful if he does not get the nod that he would even endorse the nominee. Considering he endorsed Chuck Baldwin in 08 who was the closest to his views.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:49 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,030,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
Pool is misleading and bias.

How about adding on that will vote for Paul only?
I was thinking the same thing. Romney/Perry would be
a terrible ticket anyways.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,897,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Romney/Perry would be
a terrible ticket anyways.
It would have to be Perry/Romney. Perry does nothing for a Romney ticket (he'd earn those Southern states anyway) but Romney would help a Perry ticket by bringing some independents back.

Anyway, I didn't technically mean Romney/Perry combined ticket, just meant the GOP ticket in general... assuming that it would be either Romney or Perry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections