Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:08 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,344,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
This wouldn't be the first time I've seen that clip. Geeze Louise! Don't people know how to LISTEN???????? When are people going to learn how to UNSPIN the MEDIA SPIN??????????????????????

Ron Paul is the kindest sweetest most knowlegable hardworking honest candidate we've had running for President certainly in the last 50 years and he's made his views quite evident. He thinks laws should be based on the U.S. Constitution and NOT the personal views of the President in office. If he could have his way I'm sure all businesses would be opened to everyone. However,if the Constitution says business owners have the right to choose who they want to do business with, SO BE IT. There are lots of MEN's clubs that won't let women join and vise versa. If a business owner is stupid enough to exclude a whole segment of society as potential prospects SO BE IT. The minority excluded is better off with that info knowing their money isn't welcome there and the quicker he can go elsewhere where it IS welcome.

As Ron Paul has said over and over, ad nauseum in fact, (but the Media is sure SLOW on the UPTAKE),
in a country with FREEDOM of speech and property rights, people are going to be able to pick and choose who they want to do business with. Not everyone is going to like it but the SMART business owners will make their businesses INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE.

If you happen to be one of the ones being discriminated against, isn't it better to know ahead of time the organization doesn't want you so you can avoid them and go elsewhere???? It isn't the end of the world if you can't get into every club, organization or business in the country.There are plenty of others that will welcome you with open arms.

By the same token, if you are running the organization, you can be selective IN A FREE COUNTRY like we used to have.
Well, geeze Louise, you're not from around here, are you? The businesses in the deep south got along just fine without serving "a whole segment of society" - do you seriously think they would have voluntarily integrated?

All of Miami Beach was off limits to blacks - they had to be off the island by sundown.

My black teacher friends, who graduated from college in the 60s, told me that when they traveled from their colleges to their homes in Miami, they sometimes traveled for 5 or 6 hours without passing through a town that had a bathroom that they could use.

Sorry, your little soliloquy re how we all need to just suck it up if people don't want us around, doesn't cut it when it comes to racial or ethnic discrimination. You and Ron Paul are both wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 11:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
This wouldn't be the first time I've seen that clip. Geeze Louise! Don't people know how to LISTEN???????? When are people going to learn how to UNSPIN the MEDIA SPIN??????????????????????

Ron Paul is the kindest sweetest most knowlegable hardworking honest candidate we've had running for President certainly in the last 50 years and he's made his views quite evident. He thinks laws should be based on the U.S. Constitution and NOT the personal views of the President in office. If he could have his way I'm sure all businesses would be opened to everyone. However,if the Constitution says business owners have the right to choose who they want to do business with, SO BE IT. There are lots of MEN's clubs that won't let women join and vise versa. If a business owner is stupid enough to exclude a whole segment of society as potential prospects SO BE IT. The minority excluded is better off with that info knowing their money isn't welcome there and the quicker he can go elsewhere where it IS welcome.

As Ron Paul has said over and over, ad nauseum in fact, (but the Media is sure SLOW on the UPTAKE),
in a country with FREEDOM of speech and property rights, people are going to be able to pick and choose who they want to do business with. Not everyone is going to like it but the SMART business owners will make their businesses INCLUSIVE rather than EXCLUSIVE.

If you happen to be one of the ones being discriminated against, isn't it better to know ahead of time the organization doesn't want you so you can avoid them and go elsewhere???? It isn't the end of the world if you can't get into every club, organization or business in the country.There are plenty of others that will welcome you with open arms.

By the same token, if you are running the organization, you can be selective IN A FREE COUNTRY like we used to have.
Not if the business that won't serve you has something no one else has, or has it cheaper, or is more convenient, or whatever. I'd rather see these racists have to serve people of different races than see minorities have to take their business elsewhere. Sometimes, there is no elsewhere.

History is not on your or Paul's side with these cockamamie arguments.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:05 AM

888 posts, read 888,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Well, geeze Louise, you're not from around here, are you? The businesses in the deep south got along just fine without serving "a whole segment of society" - do you seriously think they would have voluntarily integrated?

All of Miami Beach was off limits to blacks - they had to be off the island by sundown.

My black teacher friends, who graduated from college in the 60s, told me that when they traveled from their colleges to their homes in Miami, they sometimes traveled for 5 or 6 hours without passing through a town that had a bathroom that they could use.

Sorry, your little soliloquy re how we all need to just suck it up if people don't want us around, doesn't cut it when it comes to racial or ethnic discrimination. You and Ron Paul are both wrong.
You really are an optimist

Based on your post, I would speculate that you believe that:
IN 2011:
-black people still do not trust white people
-white people still do not trust black people

It is clear from your post that you really do believe this. And that is a shame

So, I guess relations between the races have have not made any progress whatsoever - *according to you*.

Maybe Ron Paul ought to start addressing civil rights issues, just to calm you paranoid people down. I highly doubt the guy is racist, but evidently from your post above, you think everyone *but* Ron Paul is a racist.....including yourself.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not if the business that won't serve you has something no one else has, or has it cheaper, or is more convenient, or whatever. I'd rather see these racists have to serve people of different races than see minorities have to take their business elsewhere. Sometimes, there is no elsewhere.
Same kind of response as Ray1945.
What century were you born in?
You write your response like it is still 1955

From your posts it is clear that:
In 2011, you believe:
white people do not trust black people
black people do not trust white people.

which makes both sides racists.
you are making an out-of-date blanket generalization.

if you actually had confidence that these 2 races trust each other, you would not be so paranoid regarding a Ron Paul administration. You obviously feel that people like Emily (non-racists) are in a minority, and that racists are in the majority.

I am so glad people like you don't live in Miami, you'd never be able to handle it, because you'd never trust anyone

Only 15% of our county (of 2.4 million) is non-Hispanic Whiite.
You'd never survive here. We'd accept you, but you would never accept us, because you'd never believe that we were not racists.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Your logic is out of date and flawed.
The reason Miami is one of those most racially diverse counties in the entire US has more to do with the racist white people leaving the city, as the Cubans followed by a much more diverse group - moved in.
Miami today has nothing to do with Miami in the past, as most of the people that live in this county today were not even in the US during the Jim Crow laws.

In conclusion, your idea that a Ron Paul administration would allow blatant racism to take place in Miami is highly flawed, because these racist white people have died off (or have moved somewhere else, but most likely they are dead).

In 2011, if your paranoid ideas were to be reality, we could expect Miami to have signs that said "Serving Nicaraguans only" or "Cubans only" - which would be the most ridiculous thing I ever heard, but we could assume that you believe most Miamians are racists.

But real life evidence suggest the contrary, we are mixing our blood on a regular basis. Excuse me while I call my dark-skinned GF now and set up a lunch quickie RdV. I cannot wait to mix with her at lunch. Makes my afternoons more agreeable

Old 09-05-2011, 07:05 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,470,909 times
I don't think our economy in the near future will ever come close to being so wonderful that any business can afford to shut out any particular race from doing business with them. Besides it isn't like Ron Paul is going to repeal the Civil Rights Act so what is everyone worried about?

Having Ron Paul as President would be nothing more than having the leader of our country make sure the country was governed according to the Constitution. He would do nothing more and nothing less. What would be so terrible about that?

Besides, beggars can't be choosers. Who else that is running for President would repeal the Patriot Act; Bring our troops home; Reign in the Federal Reserve; end the war on terror that is being waged now by Federal Government departments against small businesses with these rediculous raids and the stupid Homeland Security program encouraging people to snitch on each other "See something; Say Something". Who wants to live in a country where you can't be sure if you can trust your neighbor and where the government is always spying on you and where getting fresh whole healthful food through a CSA is illegal (because that is what we'll have if another status quo president is elected.

Last edited by emilybh; 09-05-2011 at 07:22 AM..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,470,909 times
Don't anyone miss the Palmetto Freedom Forum sponsored by Sen. Jim DeMint with the GOP candidates including Perry at 3PM. It is on CNN and being streamed live cnn.com/live

Old 09-05-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
You really are an optimist

Based on your post, I would speculate that you believe that:
IN 2011:
-black people still do not trust white people
-white people still do not trust black people

It is clear from your post that you really do believe this. And that is a shame

So, I guess relations between the races have have not made any progress whatsoever - *according to you*.

Maybe Ron Paul ought to start addressing civil rights issues, just to calm you paranoid people down. I highly doubt the guy is racist, but evidently from your post above, you think everyone *but* Ron Paul is a racist.....including yourself.
Go back and read the post to which I was responding. In it, emilyh states that Paul - and she, since she thinks he is wonderful - are OK with discrimination, based on anything.

Quote:
“The forced integration dictated by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 increased racial tensions while diminishing individual liberty… The Civil Rights Act of 1964 gave the federal government unprecedented power over hiring, employee relations, and customer service practices of every business in the country. The result was a massive violation of the rights of private property and contract, which are the bedrocks of free society.”
According to the above Ron Paul quote, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was unnecessary. My comments were to show that it was.

And, FYI, I do know that it is 2011 and that we have made great progress re race relations in this country, progress that would NOT have been made if the likes of Ron Paul had been in charge, back when change was so very much needed.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,875,960 times
Quote:
Same kind of response as Ray1945.
What century were you born in?
You write your response like it is still 1955

From your posts it is clear that:
In 2011, you believe:
white people do not trust black people
black people do not trust white people.

which makes both sides racists.
you are making an out-of-date blanket generalization.

if you actually had confidence that these 2 races trust each other, you would not be so paranoid regarding a Ron Paul administration. You obviously feel that people like Emily (non-racists) are in a minority, and that racists are in the majority.

I am so glad people like you don't live in Miami, you'd never be able to handle it, because you'd never trust anyone

Only 15% of our county (of 2.4 million) is non-Hispanic Whiite.
You'd never survive here. We'd accept you, but you would never accept us, because you'd never believe that we were not racists.
The people of the US did not have a collective epiphany and wake up one day in 1964 and renounce segregation. It was the Civil Rights Act of 1964 that brought about some of this "confidence" that you are talking about. People had to be dragged kicking and screaming into this behavior by the force of law. I suggest a history course about race relations in the US.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Your logic is out of date and flawed.
The reason Miami is one of those most racially diverse counties in the entire US has more to do with the racist white people leaving the city, as the Cubans followed by a much more diverse group - moved in.
Miami today has nothing to do with Miami in the past, as most of the people that live in this county today were not even in the US during the Jim Crow laws.

In conclusion, your idea that a Ron Paul administration would allow blatant racism to take place in Miami is highly flawed, because these racist white people have died off (or have moved somewhere else, but most likely they are dead).

In 2011, if your paranoid ideas were to be reality, we could expect Miami to have signs that said "Serving Nicaraguans only" or "Cubans only" - which would be the most ridiculous thing I ever heard, but we could assume that you believe most Miamians are racists.

But real life evidence suggest the contrary, we are mixing our blood on a regular basis. Excuse me while I call my dark-skinned GF now and set up a lunch quickie RdV. I cannot wait to mix with her at lunch. Makes my afternoons more agreeable
The diversity of Miami that you so much appreciate would not exist today if the Ron Pauls of this country had been in charge for the past 50 years. That's real life evidence for you.

In 2011 we, who were alive in the deep south back in the 50s/60s, truly know what "paranoid ideas" are and how easily they can be rationalized by folks who claim the Constitution supports them.

So, you go right ahead and enjoy your dark skinned GF, knowing that 50 years ago, leaders with cojones stepped up to the plate and did what needed to be done to eliminate a system that supported second class citizenship for a "large segment of society" - a move that your man, Ron Paul, was totally against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections