Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times

Advertisements

Well I sure wouldn't want 4 more years of what he's been dealing with so I wouldn't blame him a bit. I haven't heard anything about this though and doubt it's going to happen. If it did I suspect the Democrats would have a better lineup than the Republicans but still, I doubt it's going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:34 PM

23,582 posts, read 17,262,317 times
Obama announces he is president for life....saves money otherwise wasted on elections

Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,461,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Why does that lead me to suspect you have very few "dem friends" or "black friends?"

What are you kidding me the majority of my friends are dems and most of the family that has actually changed their mind on voting democratic ever again. Obama leaves a nice mark on people. And you must be nuts, i have had black friends my whole life, my friends are not based on color of one's skin or who they vote for, they just have come to their senses that is all.

You have no idea how many friends i do have, i have a lot, and they live all over the US. People in general have come to their senses on Obama.
Do not suspect something, if you have no facts to back it up, i have had black friends ever since i was in HS. which was many moons ago.

For some odd reason most of my friends were democrats, but to be honest most have changed their mind, not kidding, they really have, We will have to see who the dem canidate will be, if Obama is not running, tell me it ain't Biden.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
You mean your dem friends and your black friends will vote Romney or Perry? Don't think so. They'll stay home....and so will a lot of Independents who want no part of the GOP/Big Business machine that dug us into this hole.

I want no part of Obama's social agenda, but this economic mess is not his.

This isn't just another recession. In the absence of a bold new leader that will stand up to Big Business and bring all things related to this "globalization" race to the bottom BS to a screeching halt, this is a death watch.
I am not going to say who they will vote for, they are just very unhappy with the way things have been going. Tell ya this for sure, they are very disinchanted with the democrats more then repubs.

Yes some i know for fact some will be voting for repubs, talked about this last weekend.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,844,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
It will have to be much bigger than Fast and Furious. People don't really know that much about it as the MSM has gone out of it's way to give this story minimal coverage.

And I'm not predicting a scandal either. I actually don't think Obama is dirty...inept maybe, but not corrupt.
Yeah. It's really fringe news sites.... they are keeping it very low key.
Like USA Today for example. Super non MSM.
Acting ATF chief inherits federal inquiries along with job

Old 09-01-2011, 06:45 PM

Oh my gosh your right, that is word on the Street, it has to do with a lot of democrats.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:56 PM

773 posts, read 504,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Oh my gosh your right, that is word on the Street, it has to do with a lot of democrats.
What did you pick up?

IF it happens, I am hearing it will go like this:

He will do a recap of what was. How bad it was and how his policies saved us.

Then he will present his vision. You know, more spending and less resistance to progressivism.

Then the shocker. He will say that he feels so strongly about it, he has decided to not run again so he can focus his time on working with both sides to fix the economy and not have any distractions. He will try to go out like a hero.

Now I am not predicting this, but where there is smoke, there usually is a fire.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,889,382 times
Everything is not all Obama's fault. These are challenging times that we live in, and they call for an extremely strong and experienced president. Frankly, there were not any contenders in this last election that met that description. He is just in over his head, but I don't think he is unique in that way. There were plenty of incompetents vying for the big position.

I think it's entirely possible he will announce plans not to run again in 2012. The man looks terribly stressed out. I'm sure it's hard not being able to spend time with his children, who are still young but will be grown if he sticks around another four years. I think he is just inexperienced enough that he was less aware than most politicians of the toll the presidency can take on one and one's family.

I would hate it if the Dems and the GOP resorted to something as stupid as each running a female candidate just to say they did.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:11 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But somehow I think that's not going to happen, despite calls from the fringe far left in the blogosphere for a primary challenger to Obama.
It isn't just the far left. It's creeping. The job report for August is going to nauseate people, and so will the job report for September, October, November and December and for every month next year as well.

And so it will continue to creep right into the DNC. Come November 2012, you'll have people who lost their job and never worked a day while Obama was president. Do you think they'll be voting for Obama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I would not blame him if he did. If I were Obama, I'd want to get the stench of the GOP as far away from me and mine as humanly possible. I'd take a year long shower after being in such close proximity to the GOP/Tea Party/ Neocon slime.
So says the uninformed. Why does Obama have neo-cons on his White House Staff?

Why was Obama's campaign staff full of neo-cons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I know many Democrats also want Hillary to run a primary against him to get a chance at the White House again in 2012.
I think nearly everyone realizes that she was the better qualified candidate. Had she been president, nothing would have change with respect to the economy, but she would have handled things much better, and I doubt that there would have been a debt-ceiling crisis.

People won't understand how badly Obama and the Democrats screwed everybody during their first 2 years until about 3-4 years from now. They'll be cursing his name for the next 20 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How can a president control the financial market in a fee enterprise society?
A president cannot, but a president can influence it through legislation, spending and taxes, and can exhibit leadership.

Obama did none of that.

Quote:
How can a President create jobs?
A president cannot, but a president can influence and stimulate the economy by exhibiting leadership and presenting a cogent plan to investors, employers and employees.

Obama did neither.

Obama refused to take a stand on the Bush Tax Cuts until the very last second. The result was that for 2 years investors sat on the sidelines waiting for Obama to give them a cue; waiting for Obama to give some leadership, and he gave them nothing.

Understand that investors don't really care what position Obama took, so long as he took one. During the first 100 days he should have stated unequivocally that he intended to let the tax cuts expire, extend them, or raise taxes. Had he done so, investors could have developed investment strategies to work with or work around whatever he intended to do.

What he did do is ram the ill-conceived Obamacare down everyone's throat.

Since Obamacare has been enacted, the cost of Obamacare has steadily increased for the employee, for the employer and for the tax payer. The last CBO estimate I saw was $1.3 TRILLION to the tax payers (over 10 years and no, you don't even have the money to pay that) and you still have the rest of 2011, all of 2012 and all of 2013, and then who knows what the cost will be by the time 2014 rolls around.

The bureaucrats have not finished interpreting Obamacare and implementing the rules and regulations that govern Obamacare. An example would be the recent decision by HHS regarding preventive health for women (there's a thread or two about that).

See, that's the issue. Stuff like that is in the pipe-line and it is going to continue to trickle down over the next 28 months or so.

What's next? Or maybe, who is next? Infants? Children under 13? Those who are HIV/HPV/Hepatitis positive? Mental health? Pets? Hair care? Cosmetic surgery (and no, I'm not joking -- read the recent New York Times thing on being able to sue for being ugly -- there's a thread here about that too).

That creates tremendous uncertainty in a business environment. How many employees can I afford to have as an employer under Obamacare?

No one can answer that question.

Am I going to have to lay-off employees in order to pay for Obamacare? Out-source Human Resources? Out-source facilities maintenance? Out-source janitorial? Out-source the accounting department? Am I going to have to lay off employees and then switch to temporary employees?

No one can answer those questions either.

Will I have to raise the prices of my products or services to pay for Obamacare? How much will I have to raise them? What is the price elasticity of my products or services? Is the price elasticity constant or will it change? If I raise prices for my products or services, will my revenues increase or decrease? Will my profits increase or decrease?

What Marketing & Sales Strategy should I employ to overcome issues related to price elasticity? To revenues? To profits? How much will that Marketing & Sales Strategy cost me?

No one can answer those either.

So there's two things right there, Obama's refusal to act as a leader and take a stance on the tax cuts, and Obamacare, that created a "chilling effect" on hiring over the last 3 years.

Quote:
How can a President set the price of fuel?
A president cannot, but a president can put together an energy policy that is clear and concise that everyone can follow. If you read industry journals, economists generally believe that gasoline demand is basically flat and will be for some time. And so long as that is the current paradigm, no one is going to build new refineries for a long time to come.

Since your gasoline production is static, meaning you cannot ever increase the supply of gasoline in the US unless you build a new refinery (unless you start importing it and it isn't cost-effective to import finished gasoline until the price gets to $5/gallon -- and you did import finished gasoline from Venezuela a few years ago) the price of gasoline will always continue to rise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
A lot of Independents are going to stay home, too, and Republicans need them badly to have a chance to win.
You know that's really stupid. I didn't like any of the candidates either in the last election, but I voted anyway, and I voted for Independents, Libertarians, the Constitution Party and the Communist Party.

You know some States have a tax payer funded campaign fund just like the federal government does, and parties get money apportioned based on their showing in the polls. That is not how the formula works for all States, but it does work that way for some States.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:13 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,658,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Everything is not all Obama's fault. These are challenging times that we live in, and they call for an extremely strong and experienced president. Frankly, there were not any contenders in this last election that met that description. He is just in over his head, but I don't think he is unique in that way. There were plenty of incompetents vying for the big position.

I think it's entirely possible he will announce plans not to run again in 2012. The man looks terribly stressed out. I'm sure it's hard not being able to spend time with his children, who are still young but will be grown if he sticks around another four years. I think he is just inexperienced enough that he was less aware than most politicians of the toll the presidency can take on one and one's family.

I would hate it if the Dems and the GOP resorted to something as stupid as each running a female candidate just to say they did.
I would too, but I think Hillary is by far the best Democratic candidate. I think she'd get the nomination for that reason, not just because she's a woman. Of course I'm biased, but I think the Republican party looks silly with it's token affirmative action figures -- Bachmann, Palin, Cain, etc. These people are clearly only being considered because of their gender or race. Their resumes don't warrant the outsized attention they've recieved.

The same can be said about Obama, of course, but he was sold as a super political genuis, once-in-a-generation game changer and most bought it. In hindsight he was perhaps not as good of choice to govern as Hillary, but I still believe he was the best candidate to win in 2008. (Both she and Obama were going to wipe the mat with McCain though. It just wasnt' a Republican year.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections