U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM

9,026 posts, read 17,821,177 times

Advertisements

Nevada was previously considered a Romney "lock". It has a significant Mormon population from neighborhing Utah, and practically no Southern Evangelicals.

This is very, very bad news for Romney.

Rick Perry leads Mitt Romney in Nevada, poll finds - Alexander Burns - POLITICO.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 10:59 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,600,230 times
I also thought the poll was interesting, in that I read articles before stating that Nevada was Romney lock. I don't see how after reviewing the poll. I think a more interesting state to see how the republican candidates will fare in including with Iowa, is Florida. Tend to have a large influence from both the south and the northeast. Also tend to be a critical swing state, such as the general election with former president Bush and Al Gore.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:11 AM

8,755 posts, read 9,454,389 times
These are the same voters that nominated Sharon Angle...how did that work out for them? It must be heavily Tea Party. I wonder why the Tea Party has latched on to Perry? He seems pseudo Tea Party at best to me. He is obviously not fiscally conserative considering Texas huge deficit, accumulated under his watch. He is very liberal on illegal immigration and the issues concerning that. I just don't get why they have made him their poster boy.

The results of this poll are suspect overall though. Herman Cain is in third place...really? And Jon Huntsman is a Mormon also and from a neighboring state and he only got 1% of the vote. Very odd.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 AM

11,431 posts, read 17,720,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Nevada was previously considered a Romney "lock". It has a significant Mormon population from neighborhing Utah, and practically no Southern Evangelicals.

This is very, very bad news for Romney.

Rick Perry leads Mitt Romney in Nevada, poll finds - Alexander Burns - POLITICO.com
All of the mormons must have been at "temple" when they conducted this polling. I don't believe it.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM

9,026 posts, read 17,821,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I also thought the poll was interesting, in that I read articles before stating that Nevada was Romney lock. I don't see how after reviewing the poll. I think a more interesting state to see how the republican candidates will fare in including with Iowa, is Florida. Tend to have a large influence from both the south and the northeast. Also tend to be a critical swing state, such as the general election with former president Bush and Al Gore.
I agree about Florida and Iowa. Those will be very important states to watch. I'm thinking they will go GOP in the general election regardless of the candidate, but they certainly will make an impact in who gets that nomination. Iowa looks bad for Romney but Florida still looks good for him.

Florida might be a tough nut for Perry to crack with his comments on Social Security. Also, it's a huge money pit for campaign spending -- if Perry doesn't catch up to Romney on cash soon, Romney could dump a mega amount on Florida advertising as a strategy to maintain his lead there. And it could work.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:39 AM

77,808 posts, read 94,509,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
These are the same voters that nominated Sharon Angle...how did that work out for them? It must be heavily Tea Party. I wonder why the Tea Party has latched on to Perry? He seems pseudo Tea Party at best to me. He is obviously not fiscally conserative considering Texas huge deficit, accumulated under his watch. He is very liberal on illegal immigration and the issues concerning that. I just don't get why they have made him their poster boy.

The results of this poll are suspect overall though. Herman Cain is in third place...really? And Jon Huntsman is a Mormon also and from a neighboring state and he only got 1% of the vote. Very odd.
I think the difference is: Reid was disliked and yes, they nominated Sharon, which was a huge mistake, but in this case the point is: Romney was their fair haired boy and the state is filled with Mormons. It is simply showing Perry''s popularity at this minute. Remember also, even though Reid was very unpopular he was the incombent, big difference and Perry isn't going to open mouth, insert foot, as much as Agnle did.

Romney against Perry is a very different story than Angle against Reid.

Nita

Old 09-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think the difference is: Reid was disliked and yes, they nominated Sharon, which was a huge mistake, but in this case the point is: Romney was their fair haired boy and the state is filled with Mormons. It is simply showing Perry''s popularity at this minute. Remember also, even though Reid was very unpopular he was the incombent, big difference and Perry isn't going to open mouth, insert foot, as much as Agnle did.

Romney against Perry is a very different story than Angle against Reid.

Nita

I was just surmising that this would be a highly energized Tea Party area, which would bode well for Perry for some reason. The Tea Party folks seem to be backing Perry overwhelmingly which I don't really understand because he doesn't seem in all reality all that conservative to me. It just seems to be a good act, but it's working so far.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:09 PM

77,808 posts, read 94,509,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
I was just surmising that this would be a highly energized Tea Party area, which would bode well for Perry for some reason. The Tea Party folks seem to be backing Perry overwhelmingly which I don't really understand because he doesn't seem in all reality all that conservative to me. It just seems to be a good act, but it's working so far.
I do agree with you as for his conservatism. Actually I think that is something I like about him; I am a consevative, but not to the right of right and when it comes to many issues I agree with him it seems or I come close. I do not really see him as a Tea Party favorite, but I do think if he get the nomination he is right enough for them to end up supporting.

Nita

Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 PM

14,839 posts, read 7,271,265 times
Just because the Obama folks and Main Stream Media have labeled the Tea Party as "ultra Right Wing Extremists" doesn't make it so.

I still think very few people actually understand what the Tea Party is.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:22 PM

I don't think all of those associated with the Tea Party are extreme, but there are some that give the movement a bad name. For example, a group of tea partiers protested at Mitt Romney's speech to the Tea Party Express in New Hampshire on Sunday. It is ridiculous to try and censor those running in your own party. Let everyone decide for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections