Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,424,548 times

Advertisements

Well Loveshiscountry, I am WILLING TO LEARN.

I WANT someone to explain how it works. As of yet, no one has.

As for looking at history, I have. In fact I had a double major in college. HISTORY and ENGLISH... no small feat for a dyslexic who cant spell his way out of a wet papper bag... before computers were in vogue...

the American Economy during the Gold Standard days was fraught with boom/bust cycles and even some manipulation from powerful interests.

PLEASE i am begging you to provide some instruction on how RPs gold standard would work. I have listed very clear concerns and am very happy to listen to someone...anyone who can address them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,337,065 times
Exhibit A: Ron Paul is okay with Iran getting an atomic bomb. He needs to be tackled, sedated, and brought to a 'safe place'.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 PM

oh, and I watched the video and didnt find anything new there.

that aint the first time Ive been directed to a video that promised to clear things up...that didnt even address my questions.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Exhibit A: Ron Paul is okay with Iran getting an atomic bomb. He needs to be tackled, sedated, and brought to a 'safe place'.

there is that...

Old 09-07-2011, 02:56 PM

There are dozens of Ron Paul supporters on City Data.

If none of you can explain the most important tenant of Ron Paul Policy, why do you think the rest of us ought to get on board.

shoot, if you cannot explain the His version of the gold standard, why in the world do YOU support him???

Old 09-07-2011, 02:57 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,171,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

As for looking at history, I have. In fact I had a double major in college. HISTORY and ENGLISH... no small feat for a dyslexic who cant spell his way out of a wet papper bag... before computers were in vogue...

the American Economy during the Gold Standard days was fraught with boom/bust cycles and even some manipulation from powerful interests.

PLEASE i am begging you to provide some instruction on how RPs gold standard would work. I have listed very clear concerns and am very happy to listen to someone...anyone who can address them.
The way I learned about the gold standard and how it would function in comparison to the current fiat currency system is: I read books.

Now based on your posts it seems you are not one patient enough and demand instant gratification, so book reading may not be your thing, but if it is: "End the Fed" by Ron Paul is a good start, only about 200 pages. If you really want the nitty gritty: "The Creature From Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin. A much longer read, but will explain to you everything about the current money system, how the federal reserve, and there's many chapters that refer to the gold standard. Great history lessons right there.

As for my dumbed down explanation:

First off, where you are wrong is that it is not Ron Paul's Gold Standard. Ron Paul simply believes the Free Market will determine what commodity is best to back the dollar. It could be a precious metal like gold as gold has been the popular choice for currency backing over the course of civilization, but I think it could be oil or some other energy resource as well. Ron Paul simply wants off of the fiat currency system that has no backing to move to a commodity based backing of the currency.

What this does is it prevents inflation of the currency. If you can't print more dollars than are currently available in the value of gold, then you can't inflate the money supply. To understand this, you need to understand how the current system works (again, read those books, I don't you don't like to hear it, but that technology that lets you learn something in a matter of seconds like they have in the movie "the Matrix" hasn't been invented yet.)

As of right now, private banks are in control of our money supply and they print and loan money that they create out of thin air. The largest entities that borrow this newly created money are the elite corporations of the world, other banks, and The United States Government. The problem with this, by satisfying the instant demands of these entities through loans that aren't always intended to be repaid and often aren't (look up deficit spending or "Keynesian Economic Theory"), you decrease the value of the dollar each time you increase the money supply. This instantly helps those who touch the money first and who loan out the money, and it affects others like you and I later.

How does inflation hurt us? It causes prices to increase of our daily goods and services that we rely upon. All the while wages are decreasing over the last 50 years in relation to inflation rates. So basically you are making less money every time the Fed prints a Billion dollars because your wages aren't increasing as fast, but the prices of things you buy are increasing much quicker.

There are many other factors to rising prices, particularly government "regulation" and bureaucracies, but inflation is called a "hidden tax" because you and I are paying for that newly printed money, we just pay it later through higher prices.

If you went to gold standard, you could not print more money than is available in gold reserves, thus holding the Fed (or whatever organization is in charge of money, US Treasury maybe) accountable for keeping the money supply in check. Right now there is nothing keeping the supply in check. Money is created daily via printing press and computer without justification and at the price of inflation.

If you don't believe this, check the price of gold's activity in the last 10 years. See what it compares to in 1979 (the last recession) when it was at it's peak. Here's a hint: Gold's highest point in the 1979 recession era was $800 an ounce.....today it's somewhere between $1750 and $1850. That's in 30 years, the value of the dollar has been decreased by more than half it's value. What cost you a dollar in 1979 costs you two today.

There's a reason this happens, few in power are benefiting from this at our expense. We are paying the harsh price to line the pockets of a few. The United States was intended to be a Republic based on democratic principles of election. Today it is a Monetary Empireas it serves one sole purpose. That is to expand it's empire through monetary purposes via debt leverage, inflation, and resource domination.

I hope this helps, I'm sure there's a couple errs in my explanation that I'm sure others will correct for me.

Honestly though, you want to be informed? You want to understand? Stop watching the news, read a book.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM

355 posts, read 870,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Until you provide evidence of him saying this, it is just hearsay.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,171,729 times
Quote:
There are dozens of Ron Paul supporters on City Data.

If none of you can explain the most important tenant of Ron Paul Policy, why do you think the rest of us ought to get on board.

shoot, if you cannot explain the His version of the gold standard, why in the world do YOU support him???
I support Ron Paul because he's the only politician I believe. He's the only one who sticks to his guns, says what he believes, has done the research to understand important issues like economics, and he doesn't take campaign contributions from large banks or corporations.

He is the only one talking about liberty and freedoms, all the other candidates sound the same to me. They all represent the status quo, Ron Paul represents actual change. Do I think Ron Paul is the savior of this nation with all the answers? No. But at least he is willing to put his positions on paper, doesn't flip flop issues, and actually votes against what all the peons and purchased-politicians allow to be passed in our joke of a congress.

All the right people want him to lose and they do this by ignoring him. They bashed GW Bush up and down for everything he did, yet Obama does the same and they praise him. But, you know they are afraid when they won't give RP any face time, they really REALLY don't want him to get elected, and if my enemies are that afraid of him, then it must mean he is the only threat to bring them down.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM

355 posts, read 870,367 times
Quote:

This is the Internet. Vast amounts of information are available to you at no charge. All it takes is a good search engine and the will to try. Maybe you could google "Ron Paul gold standard" and find what you want to know, instead of waiting around for hand-fed information.

Old 09-07-2011, 03:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Until you provide evidence of him saying this, it is just hearsay.
what, he has said it on a number of interviews and the last debate. Were you listening at all? You can tell others how much is available on the net, have you tried googling? I just did!!!!!

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections