Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many times did you hear Ronald Reagan tonight?
24 4 25.00%
761 1 6.25%
8928091 1 6.25%
6.022 x 10²³ 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,576,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Since when did ronnie reagan become God? LMFAO. I've never seen more bird brains in one library at the same time, excluding Huntsman, that is. Good God, I think they were going to break out in song, Rockin Robin ronnie, tweet, tweet, rockin Robin ronnie, tweet tweet.

B I R D B R A I N S

Did you see how Meeshell avoided the Everglades question? Stupid loon.
What a mess that 3 ring GOP Circus debate was last night! For a minute I thought I had flipped on MTV and was watching the "Jersey Shore"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,404,464 times
Default More than Bush's name

One of the campaign strategies of the GOP is to pretend Bush didn't exist, so I suppose that shoving Reagan down our throats is one way to do this. What a sorry strategy.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:59 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,092,933 times
If the American voters TRULY studied their political history prior to voting he wouldn't have been mentioned once...they would want to put as much distance between themselves and him as possible....kinda like they have "forgotten" little Gdumbya

Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
If the American voters TRULY studied their political history prior to voting he wouldn't have been mentioned once...they would want to put as much distance between themselves and him as possible....kinda like they have "forgotten" little Gdumbya

Yep, that full employment under "W" was unbearable!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:02 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,411,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
One of the campaign strategies of the GOP is to pretend Bush didn't exist, so I suppose that shoving Reagan down our throats is one way to do this. What a sorry strategy.

At the end of two full terms, presidents generally become significantly less popular. Clinton and Reagan were both exceptions to this rule. Democrats will mention the relative prosperity of the late 1990s and gladly associate this prosperity with the Clinton presidency, but only in passing because this prosperity isn't associated with liberal policies. In fact, the policies which led to the late 90s boom were forced on Clinton by the Republiucan Congress. Reagan, on the other hand, earned his popularity by sticking to his guns even when things looked bad. He understood what was driving inflation and economic stagnation was a weak dollar. By reducing tax rates at the same time interest rates were increased relative to inflation, the dollar once again became the currency to hold. By May 1984, the US dollar reached its all-time high and the economy exploded. With 6.5 million new private sector jobs already created, inflation dropped ten points, the misery index was halved and annualized GDP growth neared double digits. This prosperity continued throughout the remainder of the Reagan presidency.

1983 - NBC News Overnight part 1 - YouTube

Note this news came in November 1983. In two months, that will be the same point in the Odummy presidency. See any positive trends?

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=18 - broken link)

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=17 - broken link)

You may be too young to have lived through the Carter years and too young to know how much America loved Reagan. He was one of our great presidents

Old 09-09-2011, 01:11 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,839,999 times
Quote:
At the end of two full terms, presidents generally become significantly less popular.
Heck .. The Dimmies aren't even waiting for a full term to want Obama gone!

I just posted a link to a Democratic petition to basically ask .. Obama not to run again!

Old 09-09-2011, 03:12 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
At the end of two full terms, presidents generally become significantly less popular. Clinton and Reagan were both exceptions to this rule. Democrats will mention the relative prosperity of the late 1990s and gladly associate this prosperity with the Clinton presidency, but only in passing because this prosperity isn't associated with liberal policies. In fact, the policies which led to the late 90s boom were forced on Clinton by the Republiucan Congress. Reagan, on the other hand, earned his popularity by sticking to his guns even when things looked bad. He understood what was driving inflation and economic stagnation was a weak dollar. By reducing tax rates at the same time interest rates were increased relative to inflation, the dollar once again became the currency to hold. By May 1984, the US dollar reached its all-time high and the economy exploded. With 6.5 million new private sector jobs already created, inflation dropped ten points, the misery index was halved and annualized GDP growth neared double digits. This prosperity continued throughout the remainder of the Reagan presidency.

1983 - NBC News Overnight part 1 - YouTube

Note this news came in November 1983. In two months, that will be the same point in the Odummy presidency. See any positive trends?

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=18 - broken link)

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/maps/obama_vs_mccain/?map=17 - broken link)

You may be too young to have lived through the Carter years and too young to know how much America loved Reagan. He was one of our great presidents
Reagan sent your jobs overseas to give breaks to big biz,gave an open gate policy and amnesty to illegals so big biz could exploit them and drive the wages down, union busted,CREATED Saddam Hussein and sent him trillions of dollars,created the current crop of lowlifes of the neocon movement that has plagued American politics every since,got the repukes in bed with the evangelicals,etc etc etc...he was hated by all but the rich or super ignorant...total scumbag and lower than dirt in the eyes of the working class. ...I DID live through his presidency,cheaply I might add.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:26 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
OP, did you see the huge aluminum tube with turbine engines attached to wingy looking things hanging above the audience? That was the Air Force One that was retired after Ronald Reagan was president. Do you want to guess why it was there?
In addition did you happen to see the frail woman in the front row?

You're just jealous because Democrats have to go back fifty years to find presidential pride.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,736,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Reagan sent your jobs overseas to give breaks to big biz,gave an open gate policy and amnesty to illegals so big biz could exploit them and drive the wages down, union busted,CREATED Saddam Hussein and sent him trillions of dollars,created the current crop of lowlifes of the neocon movement that has plagued American politics every since,got the repukes in bed with the evangelicals,etc etc etc...he was hated by all but the rich or super ignorant...total scumbag and lower than dirt in the eyes of the working class. ...I DID live through his presidency,cheaply I might add.

I guess that's why all those Reagan Democrats supported him--because he was so bad for the working man. Emphasis on "working." Most people when given a choice between a job and government dependency will choose a job--unless of course you're union.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,298,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
What a mess that 3 ring GOP Circus debate was last night! For a minute I thought I had flipped on MTV and was watching the "Jersey Shore"!
Wow MiamiRob, you could have been on the MSNBC post-debate analysis team. Such gravitas!

No sooner had the debate ended when the "analysts" were calling all the candidates morons. Infantile and unprofessional doesn't begin to describe what occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections