Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:03 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,959,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Non-existence of such society you preach about is an example/illustration of its impossibility. Heck, if you want to really see it at work, look at what you're complaining about. Do I need to tell you about that too?
It exists, the very foundation of this country is based on such. The aspect of private property, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc... all are concepts of individual liberty. The individual is free to live as they choose how they choose.

So you saying it is non-existent makes no sense. Ok, lets start again, because I think we have a conflict in the definition of liberty.

Individual liberty is the concept of one to be free to live and act as they choose without infringement of those choices (and beholden to the consequences of them solely). It is implied that because an individual is free as such, an individual can not infringe on another for it would violate their individual liberty.

So again, I ask you, how is the concept of individual liberty pure in its form impossible? I asked for you to be specific, to give an example and reason your position, but you continue to be vague and dismissive.

Please be specific.

Give me an example as to why it does not, or can not exist.

In such an absolute statement as you have made, it should be extremely easy to give a simplistic example. Please do.

As for your vague mention of this topic "what I am complaining about", explain what you mean? How is this topic or complaints within this topic a failure of the concept of individual liberty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 11:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,837,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
It exists, the very foundation of this country is based on such. The aspect of private property, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc... all are concepts of individual liberty. The individual is free to live as they choose how they choose.

So you saying it is non-existent makes no sense. Ok, lets start again, because I think we have a conflict in the definition of liberty.
It is possible that we do. Mine happens to be in touch with reality. You can prove that I'm wrong by providing an example of such society that showcases your definition but not mine. I will look forward to it.

Quote:
So again, I ask you, how is the concept of individual liberty pure in its form impossible? I asked for you to be specific, to give an example and reason your position, but you continue to be vague and dismissive.
Can't help but tell you (and yet again) that you can't provide an example of something that doesn't exist. I can tell you that the "imperfect" society we live in today happens to be for the very same reasons you think your ideas can counter and survive.

Quote:
Please be specific.
Can't be, any more than TELLING you that there is no such thing as the ideal world. Never has been, never will be.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:28 AM

20,467 posts, read 12,395,607 times
really? its news when this person says this?

the girl that did everything in her power to make her dad cry while he was president? gemme a break.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:58 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,662,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Looking for Ronald Reagan — and Not Finding Him - TIME

I'm not a great fan of Reagans, but he would seem like a breath of fresh air compared to the crew of Neocons that are running now. Reagan's daughter apparently agrees. I'm pretty sure that she will not be voting for any of the frontrunners.

Reagan's daughter? hmmm....not a good one to make a good case about who her Daddy would support!

Perhaps you don't know that Patty Reagan was avoiding her father throughout his time as president. She wasn't speaking to him...and was also critical of him....and caused Reagan embarrassment!

Patty Reagan has been Weird since childhood.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no, he has been a mess since he was a little boy. This is not totally based on his political views, but yes, they are very liberal. Actually they might be more, anti daddy than truely liberal.

Nita
A mess, how?

Because he disagrees with you?

A mess? So....you've led a perfect life, huh?

Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A mess, how?

Because he disagrees with you?

A mess? So....you've led a perfect life, huh?

Ron Reagan Jr. and Patty Reagan....are as far apart from what Ronald Reagan stood for...as you can get!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,837,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Ron Reagan Jr. and Patty Reagan....are as far apart from what Ronald Reagan stood for...as you can get!
I doubt even Reagan knew what he stood for.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
A serious BFD on this one. Patti Davis did everything she could to embarrass her father, from a major drug problem to posing nude in Playboy. Except for libs, no one gives a krap what this nitwit thinks.
Yeah- 30 years ago, when she was half as old and half as wise. People change. Patti became very close to her father after he left the White House, and was one of his main caregivers until his death.

She is no longer the person she was, and hasn't been for many years.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:09 PM

958 posts, read 2,622,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
no, he has been a mess since he was a little boy. This is not totally based on his political views, but yes, they are very liberal. Actually they might be more, anti daddy than truely liberal.

Nita
Please explain why he is a mess...you're always very quick to point out when someone didn't read something, or doesn't know something they're speaking about, please clarify your response. Thank you in advance. My guess is it's because he doesn't agree with your points of view.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yeah- 30 years ago, when she was half as old and half as wise. People change. Patti became very close to her father after he left the White House, and was one of his main caregivers until his death.

She is no longer the person she was, and hasn't been for many years.

I think you could be right about her NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections