Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:58 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,184,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Crap like this is why I continue to oppose the death penalty. Capital punishment offers society nothing, except possibly some solace from getting revenge on the offender. The death penalty is not a deterrent, it doesn't bring the victims back, it doesn't reduce crime, it kills innocent people, and it is prone to manipulation by corrupt political officials. The state should not have the right to take a person's life. Period. That's a real "small government" position.
This is the part that flips me out...

Quote:
"We are disheartened that the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles has turned a deaf ear to Mr. Skinner's plea for a stay of execution to allow for DNA testing of key evidence that could prove his innocence," Skinner's lawyers said in a statement. "It is now more urgent than ever that Governor Rick Perry not allow Wednesday's execution to proceed until all of the facts are in.
...and Perry claims to be a God fearing individual?
Perry can take his call to prayer gatherings and shove them where the sun don't shine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,447,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This is the part that flips me out...

...and Perry claims to be a God fearing individual?
Perry can take his call to prayer gatherings and shove them where the sun don't shine!
Exactly. If Rick Perry is a Christian then I'm a tuna melt sandwich. Nothing could be farther from the Spirit of Christ than executing the innocent.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,499,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Yes, that is just it. I mean, obviously, it couldn't be because we find the polices of the current president to be at complete odds with individual liberty. I mean, never mind all the garbage he promotes and all of his "solutions" to which are nothing more than pay outs to buddies and opportunities to grow governments power, or mandates that dictate what we are to do and pay.

No, it couldn't be because we disagree with his policy, nope... must be because we are "haters" and "racists". I mean, nobody in their right mind with disagree with his magnificence, everything he says and does is absolutely logical!
Oh, well please forgive me! I've only posted on this forum for three years and in that time read some of the most despicable things said about any president in my lifetime--while you guys wrap yourselves in the flag and self righteously call yourselves true Americans while maligning everyone else as being unpatriotic, claiming the president hates the country, that he is a muslim that he supports terrorists and wants to destroy America.

But I guess it's just because you simply "disagree" with his policies. Right. Many of you hate way more than his policies, You hate the person himself. That's plain for us to see, And that is what's despicable and why I would have to violate my conscience to vote for anyone that you guys support.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,887,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
R
o
n
a
l
d --- 6

W
i
l
s
o
n --- 6

R
e
a
g
a
n --- 6
Actually, from numerology one assigns a value to each letter, not simply a number count of the letters. Here is his name

You entered: Ronald Wilson Reagan
There are 18 letters in your name.
Those 18 letters total to 85
There are 7 vowels and 11 consonants in your name.

What your first name means:
Scottish
Male,Mighty counselor/ruler.
Scandinavian
MaleRules with counsel. Form of Reynold.
Gaelic
MaleRules with counsel. Form of Reynold.
English
MalePowerful. Rules with counsel. Form of Reynold.
Your number is: 4

The characteristics of #4 are: A foundation, order, service, struggle against limits, steady growth.

Mind you I am no fan of him but if you invoke numerology at least get it right.

Last edited by AONE; 09-13-2011 at 05:44 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 05:51 AM

18,665 posts, read 20,015,501 times
I agree with post 73, especially its term "most", as one who dislikes Obama's policies, disliked them before Nov, 2012, but yes, I find him quite likable, and I do think, although owning misguided policies, it is because he honestly feels they are the right policies for a nation he TOO loves.
That makes me no less likely to espouse them, but fully wiling to listen to a detailed explanation for or against them.

I find the OBL treatment of the opposing party, from both extreme wings, to be the least patrriotic, most undemocratic thing I have witnessed in my lifetime.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,980,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Nomander:"Do you know of any liberals who respect individual liberty fully and unconditionally? I do not"

I'm a fiscal conserv, who knows people of all political persuasions with those attributes. If one knows none, it says more about them. Tonights debate was not a microcosm of the whole party, just a subset whose characteristics were virtually identical. This was the most embarrassing moment I have ever seen from the TP. I hope it is not repeated.

the first debate was much better from the standpoint of civil discourse.
That doesn't answer the question. Do you know a liberal that supports individual liberty unconditionally? I have never met one, though I have heard some claim they did, but once you start to evaluate their positions, it comes down to "compromises" of liberty in order to achieve their social agenda.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,305,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Ya clearly don't know much about Jr. either.

Ron Reagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Reagan dropped out of Yale University in 1976 after one semester to become a ballet dancer."

"Reagan became more politically active once his father left the White House in 1989. In contrast to the late president, the younger Reagan's views were decidedly liberal."

Looking at his resume, one could conclude he has ADHD.
Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard. So what? Ron got into Yale (i doubt that you could) and quit to pursue his dream. What's bad about that? Tens of thousands of kids drop out of college every year. That makes you some sort of a failure?

Sounds to me like he's doing just fine. Well enough to get paid to do his political commentary unlike some folks who come to C-D and give it for free (hitting close to home yet?).

And so what if he's liberal? And? He's obligated to be a Conservative because his dad was? That's silly.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
"you would claim that a soldier that cheers after winning the war was "cheering on" the death that resulted from it"

Yes, I would, unless like most US soldiers I have known, they were simply cheering the end of war, and glad it was over for all sides. Reagan's daughter was quite elegent; I was unaware but not surprised her dad PRAYED before making his first decision not to stay an execution. That rational conservative mindset seems not to exist in 2011.
Wait now, you just applied an excuse to the issue and contradict your claim. First you said you would claim them cheering on death, but then in the bold establish that they were simply cheering the end of the war? Odd.. How does that work out?

So you can't see that cheering the success of a program that establishes responsibility and provides justice as simply cheering on justice being done? You are then accusing those who cheered him as being murders who sought death on someone for the sake of enjoyment.

This is the problem with the position. You are forcing them into a box to which you have defined for them while at the same time rationalizing a different box for another situation. Either they are ALL joyful of the death of others (soldiers and death penalty supporters alike) OR as you showed with the conflict in your position, that there is often more to it.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Generalize much?

When you have personally met every single liberal than I might actually listen to what you have to say about liberals.

Until then all you are doing is generalizing.
No, I am talking about a concept to which one can not be liberal (modern liberal) and respect. Individual liberty negates many positions of liberal beliefs. Social programs, most taxation, various regulations (both business and individual), dictations of property rights, etc... do not respect individual liberty. As I said, show me a liberal that respects individual liberty, and I will show you they are not a liberal. Do conservatives respect individual liberty? Some do, many do not, and are simply liberals wearing a conservative badge. They desire all that liberals do, they just want it their way, for their benefit.

There is no generalizing in that position as the defining factor is individual liberty to which no liberal can meet its condition and be a liberal.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Perry did not stay an execution for further evidence thru DNA testing which might have caused the death of an innocent man. Even one such case proves that Perry is a cold and unjust bastard!

Will Texas Soon Execute Another Innocent Man? Our Reporting Challenges Verdict As Clock Ticks | Medill Innocence Project

There was quite a bit more to that case then you implying. I think you need to go back and read the powers and position of a Governor and what they can and can not do. I think you should also read the court cases filings and each pertaining code and order to the case.

You make the accusation, now, using the legal orders, the powers of office, and the evidence of law, show your claim to be true... Or, conveniently place blame as you will to fit your agenda. /shrug
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections