Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 08:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Ronald Reagan Jr. also is strongly against the far right wing nutcases that most in the republican party have become. Reagan gave some intelligent offspring
Ron Jr is against anything that isn't about 90% liberal. Patty is no conservative either but is nothing like her brother. He was this way while his dad was in the White House. Those were his ballet days.

NIta
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,974,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I've never met a human being who respects individual liberty fully and unconditionally, or who even claimed to. I happen to rate individual liberty extremely highly relative to other values and compared to most other people, but anyone who's given the matter any adult consideration realizes that a society always requires some mutual adjustment of rights somewhere in order to remain a society.
You are implying that unconditional individual liberty is "anarchy", but they are not compatible.

If you respect individual liberty, then no individual can be infringed on by another. That means... you can not dictate to another what they can and can not do. The basic principal of individual liberty can not allow another to violate another so the fears of another doing harm, etc... to another is impossible without them violating the individual liberty of another and when that happens, they have disregarded the aspect of individual liberty for another as well as themselves.

And the bold is key, the disregard of individual liberties to serve some collective goal. The idea that such can be promoted and encouraged (respecting individual liberty and individual choice to contribute to such) is evaded in order to hardline a claim of justified infringement using the position of "good intentions" for that of society. Under such pretenses, anything can be justified and it is why those who argue such have no respect for individual liberty at all.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I cannot fathom RR tolerating an audience that would APPLAUD the vast usage of the death penalty, as if watching lions maul Christians thousands of years ago. I can picture him admonishing them.
am I understanding you correctly, do you think he was oppossed to the death penalty? If so, you need to do your homework as usual.

NIta

Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't know much about Patti. But how is Ron Jr. a mess? Seems to be doing pretty good to me. A mess in that he doesn't agree with YOU politically?
no, he has been a mess since he was a little boy. This is not totally based on his political views, but yes, they are very liberal. Actually they might be more, anti daddy than truely liberal.

Nita

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,487,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
She is correct, but I'd exempt Romney, who is the sole adult in a field of children.
She wouldn't vote for him either. She'll probably vote for Ron Paul who supported her father who in turn supported him.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,872,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If you respect individual liberty, then no individual can be infringed on by another.
The purist version of individual liberty can't exist in a society. If it could, it would.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,487,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Lol!!! I had a Ouija board back in the '60s.
Where did they get the number "6" for the letter D? In Numerology "D" is number 4.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
He knows how to cash in on the low information crowd.
He has been a strong conservative since high school. It has nothing to do with cashing in on anything..Has he been successful in the past 30 years? Yes, he has..

NIta

Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Oh, well please forgive me! I've only posted on this forum for three years and in that time read some of the most despicable things said about any president in my lifetime--while you guys wrap yourselves in the flag and self righteously call yourselves true Americans while maligning everyone else as being unpatriotic, claiming the president hates the country, that he is a muslim that he supports terrorists and wants to destroy America.
And here you betray your position. I didn't see you getting upset with all of the disgusting accusations and garbage concerning Bush, or is that acceptable because he deserved it?

And there are many legitimate arguments made concerning the Presidents policy to which have consistently shown to disrupt the economy, disrespect individual liberties, and nudge the country into a direction of an "ism". If you think the majority of the objections are based on "hate", "racism", and irrational accusations, then you have been spinning for so long, you have begun to believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
But I guess it's just because you simply "disagree" with his policies. Right. Many of you hate way more than his policies, You hate the person himself. That's plain for us to see, And that is what's despicable and why I would have to violate my conscience to vote for anyone that you guys support.
This is the problem with liberal thinking. You can't accept someone disagrees with you because you are so emotionally tied up int your position, that the basic thought of disagreement to your position "must" mean people are letting hate and irrational thought drive it. I respect your disagreement. While I think you are emotional in your conviction, I think you honestly believe your position is right and true. I respect that, but good intentions have done more harm in this world than any direct intention of evil ever has.

The simple fact is, we are a country that was founded on individual liberty and over the years we have moved away from that, promoting more and more government power and infringement on the individual. The Presidents policies are an example of that. Bush (he wasn't a honest conservative) was just as bad in some ways as well and we can go back through the history of presidents and show how each one infringed, limited, and attacked the basic principals of individual liberty in order to promote their ideal society. Obama is no different, he is promoting a "ism" as the ideal and it is conflicting with many.

While I think all politicians are garbage, it becomes an issue of who will do the least damage to individual liberty. While all will step on it from time to time, some make it their point to while others happen to on the way. You support whoever you like, but remember, when your individual liberty is all but dried up because the powers of government and the self interest of the mobs have stripped you of it, you will have nobody to blame but yourself. Though likely you won't be alive by the time this fully comes to realization, and it will simply be your progeny carrying the burden of those chains.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The purist version of individual liberty can't exist in a society. If it could, it would.
Sure it can. How can it not? Give an example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections