Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You win the "run-on sentence" award.

many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 08:33 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Um, no, I'm not one of those "good 'ol days' rhetoric people and realize the 'good 'ol days' weren't always so good. But yes, this country does have a tradition of charity and compassion - where the hell do you think Childrens Hospital comes from? We used to have organizations within communities where men came together to do good works (not necessarily religious oriented either) until the government busted them up as discriminatory.

And no, again this is not a panacea for our problems but stomping your foot saying people are mean and life is unfair because people object to being taken advantage of is silly. To have resources they have allocated for their own family confiscated to care for others families - who, for me this is the kicker - demand that this is their right and have no appreciation or respect for those they steal from. And yes, taking the property of another for your own use, regardless of how noble your cause is - is theft.

If we weren't so lazy, both mentally and physically we could come up with alternate solutions but we do need to get control of our government - until they quit raping the people of this country it will be extremely hard to implement valid solutions. How much revenue would be available if we really did start phasing out the income tax? Allowing people to divert funds to programs for their own use rather than wasted on government programs?

If most people find $1000.00 on the ground it'll be gone within a fortnight and the person spending it will probably have a hard time recalling what they purchased because it has no value to them. It is free money. If you work and sweat your behind off to earn $100.00, your damn right you'll hang on to that money and you'll damn sure know what you spent it on - because it has value to you.

That is the problem with confiscating from others.
It has no value to those who take it because they didn't earn it, they didn't even steal it, the government did their dirty work for them.

Look at the thread by Obama's aunt declaring how the people of this country are obligated to take care of her. When money is confiscated from the middle class, cause the rich sure as hell don't pay, people begin expecting to be taken care of - all people from all sources. Please don't tell me the Obama's don't have the resources to care for their extended familes, but why should they when they can shove that burden off on the American tax payer.

Good God, we're tired of being raped.
We're broke and frustrated because we aren't even the ones who bankrupted our country - but we are the ones getting the bill for it.
This is just a new spin on a very old tool by those in power - it is called class warfare, it is called divide and conquer. The problem is the middle class just doesn't have the resources to continue paying for our governments follies and supporting the less fortunate.
The Childrens' Hospital of Pittsburgh and The Children's Hospital of Denver (actually Aurora now) are parts of the Univeristy of Pittsburgh and University of Colorado hospital systems, respectively. Both of those universities receive tax money. They both also charge patients, and take insurance money and medicaid money. Most children's hospitals are probably in the same situation; I just like to talk about things I know, unlike many on CD.

Groups of men came together to do good works (not necessarily religious oriented either) until the government busted them up as discriminatory. Are you talking about the KKK? Or are you referring to the Rotary Clubs, Lions Clubs, etc which still exist?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:35 AM

38,065 posts, read 22,219,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
A discussion on these subjects are good...great as a matter of fact, but to attack others for they're opinion, proves that you can only see black and white and are unable to compromise, allow, and confident enough to say...."oh well, to each they're own" and move on without leaving a derogatory comment, or mocking someone.
Well said, but it's worse then that. These fools on the left, and some on the right also, will take something a person says, distort it, read into it, assume they meant something else entirely, and then turn the distorted reality into a reason to attack them.

It does not advance the conversation forward if you are spoiling for a fight, and you allow yourself to read things a person said, and take them out of context. We should not let our political or ideological bias against someone's view to temp us to jump to conclusions, or to allow us to except as fact, the distortions made by someone else.

I try not to do this myself, but every now and then I find myself falling into this trap. We need to stop it, because it wastes time. Here we are, wasting time, defending or attack Paul over distortions, and fabrications over what he said, even when we have the actual video of what he said.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,999,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Sadly, I am reminded of my reading of Germany during Hitler's ascent to power. If we let the Republicans -- who are behind the TPs, and not really who the Republicans once were, take office we could very well have forced labor camps in America in my life time.

At least it eliminates the need for that nasty "Obama-care" that so many appear to revile. (God forbid our "Religious Right" should practice their Christian commandments to "Love our brothers as we love ourselves.")

Funny how if you label something or someone evil with enough advertising and repetition, there are those of us that believe it.

I pray for sanity, peace, and love in our hearts to overcome this madness. I keep in mind "Father, forgive them for they know not...."
Wow, the hits just keep on coming. Let the GOP take power and we will be in forced labor camps? Media Matters is really pushing you guys hard these days.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:36 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,692,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Wasn't comparing a life to a car...what this person was saying was, you pay your bill...period or you don't get your car back...and when you receive medical assistance, you pay your bill otherwise, you suffer the consequences...same as saying, assume personal responsiblity for your health, and if you have a sore, get it checked out, or it may become melinoma....there are always consequences to our choices and actions...that's life, period...are you going to assume responsiblity for my inept choices? When I get root canal done, shall I send my bill to you? Sounds silly doesn't it, and yet, it's an example..
So how do you get a sore checked out if you are uninsured?

Old 09-13-2011, 08:42 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,880,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The Childrens' Hospital of Pittsburgh and The Children's Hospital of Denver (actually Aurora now) are parts of the Univeristy of Pittsburgh and University of Colorado hospital systems, respectively. Both of those universities receive tax money. They both also charge patients, and take insurance money and medicaid money. Most children's hospitals are probably in the same situation; I just like to talk about things I know, unlike many on CD.

Groups of men came together to do good works (not necessarily religious oriented either) until the government busted them up as discriminatory. Are you talking about the KKK? Or are you referring to the Rotary Clubs, Lions Clubs, etc which still exist?
You bring up an excellent situation to illustrate my point.
This is the current situation, but this is not consistent with the origins of these institutions. Childrens Hospital comes from the Shriners which is a private organization who actively worked within communities to garner resources to support charitable causes.

Yes, these organizations still exist but their influence has been gutted by government interference and now yes, the institutions which grew from private enterprise are pretty much government institutions (It is also interesting to note that you assert they take payment including insurance as if this is a bad thing - paying for services - somebody will always have to pay one way or another).

Can you see this? The government has repeatedly encroached upon and usurped private enterprise to the detriment of this country and it's people.

As for your reference to the KKK, I'll just assume your frustrated and upset and ignore it.

Quote:
Katiana; It's not barbaric, it's unrealistic. It never happened, despite what some of the "Happy Days" folks like to think.
Katiana....
My parents helped neighbors out financially many times...why, b/c they had it...they're parents came to this country, with nothing...and started they're own business and did well...so did my parents...

a neighbor, a woman, was raising her daughter alone, no husband, working two jobs...she had to go in the hospital that year 2 times, and back then when you had surgery, doctors said you couldn't work for 6 - 8 weeks. My parents knew her landlord and went and paid her rent and went to the grocery store she shopped at and gave the grocery store money so that woman and her daughter could eat...for 6-8 weeks. My sister told me once, if we knew how much money mom and dad gave away, we'd probably be extremely shocked...they gave money to neighbors to help them out, and didn't ask for anything back in return....that was simply who they were, they had it and they shared it...so, if you call that Happy Days folks, then so be it. I am the same way, but...I'm getting sick and tired of folks thinking it's ok to take, and drain the whole system, as they've done.

What your not understanding is this....everyone needs help at one time in they're lives or another, but to stand back and expect to be taken care of for life, is an insult and a strain to the system, until eventually, there is no more to give...everyone needs to be a member of they're neighborhood and give...no one should be except from paying taxes...no one...and everyone should be working together not against each other....

this whole thing could actually work out, and we could become a strong nation once again, if only?

8,145 posts, read 6,541,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
I am not defending Paul I know the neocons control many things just as the liberals do on the questions they ask. I won't let them control me and or my princples and kill the messager for it.

Ron Paul is a messanger and even if they dont want to hear it while we still have the first amendment I like Ron Paul to use it :-)
Fair enough.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Well said, but it's worse then that. These fools on the left, and some on the right also, will take something a person says, distort it, read into it, assume they meant something else entirely, and then turn the distorted reality into a reason to attack them.

It does not advance the conversation forward if you are spoiling for a fight, and you allow yourself to read things a person said, and take them out of context. We should not let our political or ideological bias against someone's view to temp us to jump to conclusions, or to allow us to except as fact, the distortions made by someone else.

I try not to do this myself, but every now and then I find myself falling into this trap. We need to stop it, because it wastes time. Here we are, wasting time, defending or attack Paul over distortions, and fabrications over what he said, even when we have the actual video of what he said.
yes, you are correct, and I totally agree with you...when I see this happening, it makes me very sad, b/c it's so non-productive...but, you see, we are who we are, and we think like who we are....and unfortunately that is what distorts perceptions....it's a desprate bias...to read into and take things out of context, and what is so sad, like I've said many times...when you turn on TV today, all you see is crap reality shows...yet, they are getting ratings, otherwise they wouldn't be on...however the root of this problem is this...the scarey part is what The American Society today deems entertainment...I mean think about it...seriously, it shows our societies mentality which is extremely scarey, and it is the same with what you've written here...and our government is just fine with that...yanno what we've become as individualists, we lack the ability to understand, that our choices, mistakes, effect so many other people...it's not just about us...everything we speak, do, react to, effects so many other lives...the ripple effect, and yet, our government is really glad, we've lost intellectual skills....they do not promote that, do they? Think about it? They do not use that in they're campigns, what we've lost as a community, the abililty to understand, awareness, and the effects we have on everyone else's lives.

When your leaders are corrupt, so will your people be....it's a fact...

when you look back into history, when did every great nation fall?

When they became immoral and corrupt...

We're right now, as corrupt as we can be...we don't feel laws abide to any of us...it's all about gimme, gimme, gimme and entitlement....

Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,541,801 times
You guys don't get it do you. Republicans are exactly like that audience. If they would tell the truth they would say "you mean nothing to me,you are poor and only as good as what I can get out of you. You do not deserve the same HC that I get better HC because God has chosen me to have more then you. Quit whining and just die after you have paid your debt to me".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections