Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No personal offense, but the above is extremely condescending and totally without merit.

Are our 'systems' broke or broken?
Not sure where this information comes from, but, we are still spending ridiculous amounts of money on our military, on rebuilding Iraq and Afghanistan, on placating Israel and on any number of other things that only put money into the pockets of the defense contractors, lobbyists, PACs and politicians.
I saw a report this morning regarding how Eric Cantor readily approved unbelievable amounts of money to build schools, etc. in Iraq and Afghanistan (money that continues to be spent, BTW) but will not do the same for schools, roads, bridges, etc. in his own country.
Why, as a taxpayer, am I not entitled to get some of my money back to improve the infrastructure in my city?
Why, as a taxpayer, am I not entitled to get some of my money back in the form of lower cost healthcare services?
When we can send billions of dollars to foreign countries, there is absolutely no rationale for not providing basic care to our citizens.
None.
We can't afford it.
We also cannot afford the other things listed in your post.
We are borrowing money from other countries and printing money from thin air to support these activities.
This money + interest is relegated to the taxpayer to repay.

That's what we are trying to get people to realize - we are broke and the bill we are leaving to the young people of this country is not realistic.

Foreign Interests and Big Business own us.
The people of this country are a resource for these special interests.
If we don't come to terms with this reality, our economy will collapse.

Our systems are broke and broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Years ago, that method didn't help everyone. Look at poverty statistics from "the good old days", life expectancy, etc. This didn't work!
that's because the depression was going on...it worked...and life expectancy was a lot less then, b/c we didn't have the meds, technology nor the methods we have today...poverty statistics were greater, due to the depression...but there was a day, I could quit a job and get another job the same day....jobs are not there today...b/c so many corporations choose to give they're customers, cheaper service, cheaper materials and quality....

there was a time, in my work force, when you had a computer problem, you could call the help desk, who were spoke English fluently, we didn't then have the capabilities of net meetings, where they could see your computer, yet, they were so educated in they're fields, that they could trouble shoot you within a matter of minutes...now adays, you call a help desk, and not only is there a huge language barrier, they do not possess the intelligence and expertise in they're field to trouble shoot even with net meeting? They don't have a clue how to fix it....same with any customer service...they're all in other countries...3rd world countries...

Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Wow, listen to these fools. Ron Paul is out of his mind. He actually thinks churches will pay peoples medical bills. The teabagger crowd cheered for this nonsense and the rest of the candidates appeared to agree. Just let the uninsured die, which includes children. It's a damn shame that we've reached this point where people such as this are vying for an opportunity to be the leader of our country.

GOP Tea Party Debate: Audience Cheers, Says Society Should Let Uninsured Patient Die
I am not one bit surprised at this. This country is growing more & more selfish & greedy by the minute. Just take a look at the rude,childish, downright cruel posts on this forum, for a glimpse at what this country is becoming.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:11 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No personal offense, but the above is extremely condescending and totally without merit.

Are our 'systems' broke or broken?
Not sure where this information comes from, but, we are still spending ridiculous amounts of money on our military, on rebuilding Iraq and Afghanistan, on placating Israel and on any number of other things that only put money into the pockets of the defense contractors, lobbyists, PACs and politicians.
I saw a report this morning regarding how Eric Cantor readily approved unbelievable amounts of money to build schools, etc. in Iraq and Afghanistan (money that continues to be spent, BTW) but will not do the same for schools, roads, bridges, etc. in his own country.
Why, as a taxpayer, am I not entitled to get some of my money back to improve the infrastructure in my city?
Why, as a taxpayer, am I not entitled to get some of my money back in the form of lower cost healthcare services?
When we can send billions of dollars to foreign countries, there is absolutely no rationale for not providing basic care to our citizens.
None.
You are absolutely correct. It's funny really when you think how complex our military machine is. How sophisticated just one aircraft carrier is. It is the best in the world. However, for some reason when it comes down to seeing a doctor and receiving a couple of prescriptions, perhaps an operation all hell brakes loose, the country is broke, the sky is falling. It's all BS, smoke blown up American butts like never before.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:14 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
I am not one bit surprised at this. This country is growing more & more selfish & greedy by the minute. Just take a look at the rude,childish, downright cruel posts on this forum, for a glimpse at what this country is becoming.
America is the best example of social-darwinism.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
First of all, you need to realize that not all conservatives are religious.

Secondly, it's not a case of being "better" than anyone. It's a case of working for what you have. If you don't have HC, it's because you haven't taken the steps to get it. It's really that simple. There's no "deserving" involved. You don't "get" HC just because you want it. Especially when you aren't paying for it. And worse, making ME pay for YOU.

The reality is that the left says "you mean nothing to me, you are rich, I am insanely envious, but not enough to actually succeed myself, and you are only as good as what I can take from you. Then I justify my lack of success by saying you're just lucky, thereby absolving myself of any accountability."

See how there's 2 sides to everything?
I had a job a few years back that had decent health insurance. All of a sudden, they gave a 30 day notice that they were dropping it entirely. I guess that was my fault? Do you think I could have run out and found another job? I was 21 and in college full time while working full time and it took me 2 years to find that job, since they sort of worked around my schedule.

Ive also worked in a small business that fired me because my medication cost too much and had the potential of rising the rates for the company. That was the first and last time I ever confided in a manager about my medical condition... all because I needed a day off for an MRI.

This stuff happens, and even though I have fantastic insurance now, I'll always remember the times in which I didnt.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
First of all, you need to realize that not all conservatives are religious.

Secondly, it's not a case of being "better" than anyone. It's a case of working for what you have. If you don't have HC, it's because you haven't taken the steps to get it. It's really that simple. There's no "deserving" involved. You don't "get" HC just because you want it. Especially when you aren't paying for it. And worse, making ME pay for YOU.

The reality is that the left says "you mean nothing to me, you are rich, I am insanely envious, but not enough to actually succeed myself, and you are only as good as what I can take from you. Then I justify my lack of success by saying you're just lucky, thereby absolving myself of any accountability."

See how there's 2 sides to everything?
That's good. What are the steps? Maybe having a job that pays enough to be able to afford health insurance. Many jobs don't pay well, and not enough jobs are available.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
why did they say such an inhuman thing?
I think these are people who are extremely exhausted of all the illegals in this country draining our systems...and those who call themselves americans who are also draining our systems...welfare breeds welfare, and someone who is on welfare all they're lives should be ashamed...but you've got to blame those who are running these systems and are initiating this behavior...
Do you have any statistics that actually show that illegal immigration is a) continually rising, and b) actually causing health care costs to rise, and c) chronically on welfare (that they can't actually receive except through fraud)? Or are you just talking out of your ass?

Quote:
but it even goes much deeper then that....
where are the jobs these people can do, there are so so many people in our country today, who are not welfare material but collecting food stamps b/c they can't get a job...using government assistance, b/c they are unable to work and want to...
Dude, I don't know what planet you're living on, but in case you missed it our financial system nearly collapsed in 2008. Look at Bank of America's news of layoffs yesterday. The banks themselves, despite TARP, are still teetering on the edge of insolvency. And they would be insolvent if the Federal Reserve and the Treasury had not bailed them out already. So if you're going to pick on welfare bums, let's make sure we're being even-handed here. There are a lot of corporate "persons" who are on the federal dole as well. And they have a lot more impact on our economy than some unemployed bum sitting in a trailer watching WWE Raw. In fact, you could have a whole trailer park or a whole ghetto block or two full of such characters and it wouldn't begin to add up to the welfare we've been passing out to corporations just to keep them alive over the past four years.

Quote:
so, there are two sides to every story...maybe those people yelled those inhuman things from the audience, b/c they are mad...down right mad at what is going on in this country, yet given the opportunity, if another 911 God forbid would happen, might they be the first responders?
Well since you brought it up, the first responders are fire fighters and police officers -- public employees who are fighting for public health and compensation benefits through their unions....that Republicans are trying like hell to snuff out. The fact is that the real heroes are almost always democrats. They actually fight in wars and they actually respond to disasters. They teach difficult students in schools that nobody else wants to work with. While Republicans whine and try to move their money offshore to avoid paying taxes, Democrats work to get the country going again. I think Republicans are unpatriotic bastards and they should leave the country now. I question their patriotism.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wondered when someone would call these clowns on this subject. I listened to the damned fool video, got a bit sick at how the whole thing was spun left threaded and just left. Now I am here supporting you and saying that we heard the same thing that none of these left leaners will admit that they heard even if they did.
This will shock you roysoldboy, but I agree. Nowhere did Paul infer that the person should be left to die. And I agree with his position based on the question as it was asked.

If I'm doing well enough that I have a mortgage but I forgo fire insurance and my house burns, should I ask the government to pay for rebuilding it? If not, then why should I ask the government to pay for my medical problem when I CHOOSE to forgo health insurance? The question wasn't that the hypothetical guy couldn't afford the health insurance, it was that he chose not to pay for it since he felt healthy.

To twist this into "Ron Paul wants you to die" is pretty lame. Shame on those, especially those on the left, who want to make this an issue.

There were other instances in the debate where I was totally ashamed of the audience.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:21 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And if the person can't afford it? I'm not talking about something relatively inexpensive, but more on the lines of chronic disorders. There are medications out there that can cost $200,000 or more a year for life. In my experience, charities don't touch those at all.

So, what do you think they should do?
if we get RID of insurance and government then the prices will come down

as long as SOMEONE ELSE is going to pay..the prices will stay high
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections