Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 08:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,983,283 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Katiana
What is the point of securing the borders if the people inside the borders are unhealthy. I think the welfare of the people should be the highest priority.

Robert J"Because there is a limited amount of medical resources. Basic economics teaches that when demand increases, the price will increase. Remove illegals from the market and the price will have to fall to attract customers."

LOL, and I say that having worked for one of the world's largest producers of sophisticated medical equipment. Less demand = HIGHER prices, since the fixed cost of technology (tens of millions R & D not unusual) must be recouped via fewer users. If it cannot be recovered, it will not be invented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 08:27 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Who cares if it was a loaded question? Paul did his best to answer it, the few audience members who cheered were disgusting. My issue is not with Paul, it is with the asshats who cheered.

You are correct, this is an economic discussion. HOWEVER, many conservative political folks wear their religion on their sleeve and at a Republican debate, sponsored by the TP, to hear cheers for a hypothetical death was shocking. I guess lack of compassion for fellow members of society is between you and your god (general you, not YOU).

That is awful about your sister. How she got her disease is not relevant. She still wants to live and not die a premature death. Colon cancer need not be a death sentence. With proper medical care (regular check ups, yearly tests when you reach a certain age) one can survive. I don't see this as 'wanting someone to fix it for her'. She doesn't want to die.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:06 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,662,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You are using force to deny me my rights. You are telling me it is okay for you to use force to make me comply.

YOU make the rules for me as far as what I can or cannot put into it. The government doesn't own me. I am not their servant, I am their master.

Government is not moral. It has a proven track record of not being moral.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,671,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
You are using force to deny me my rights. You are telling me it is okay for you to use force to make me comply.

YOU make the rules for me as far as what I can or cannot put into it. The government doesn't own me. I am not their servant, I am their master.

Yes, the republican controlled government is a prime example of what you speak of. A nice steaming plate of "Patriot Act" anyone?

Old 09-15-2011, 10:15 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,213,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
doesn't the Hippocratic Oath require a doctor to NOT refuse a dying person care at the risk of having their license to practice revoked?
Yes, but the "hipocrite's oath" requires that they value their bottom line more than a patient's life.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Where are your rights being denied? How is forced being used?

Quote:
YOU make the rules for me as far as what I can or cannot put into it.
no, the individual makes rules from themselves on what they put into their own bodies. First do no harm. Then do not tread on the rights of others.

Quote:
The government doesn't own me. I am not their servant, I am their master.
you got one right

Quote:
you got two right. Getting closer to liberty and freedom

Old 09-16-2011, 01:04 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,662,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Where are your rights being denied? How is forced being used?

no, the individual makes rules from themselves on what they put into their own bodies. First do no harm. Then do not tread on the rights of others.

you got one right

you got two right. Getting closer to liberty and freedom

Your words, pal...not mine! Thankfully...the government protects even you.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,995,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Originally Posted by Katiana
What is the point of securing the borders if the people inside the borders are unhealthy. I think the welfare of the people should be the highest priority.

Robert J"Because there is a limited amount of medical resources. Basic economics teaches that when demand increases, the price will increase. Remove illegals from the market and the price will have to fall to attract customers."

LOL, and I say that having worked for one of the world's largest producers of sophisticated medical equipment. Less demand = HIGHER prices, since the fixed cost of technology (tens of millions R & D not unusual) must be recouped via fewer users. If it cannot be recovered, it will not be invented.

As a former senior technologist at a company making industrial process equipment the question is not whether something is invented I assure you it will . The question is once in the hands of a business will the invention be reduced to a field testable prototype and then will it be marketed. Each of these steps costs about an order of magnitude more so if a million dollars was spent to invent, as much as 100 million dollars must be spent before a dollar is returned in income. You need to be pretty convinced you have a winner before you bet such sums. Understanding this you can see why companies have a large IP position mostly of things they will never market. But nevermind if some else tries to market the same thing you call your patent lawyer and force a settlement to get a royalty payment. Nothing go to waste!

Old 09-19-2011, 06:51 AM

17,404 posts, read 11,988,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Fees...........you know like registration fees for your vehicle..........things like that. Just a tax by another name. Not a liberal plot to confuse right wingers. sheesh.........
No, it is a ploy. A PR stunt at best. Illegal at worst. In CA, they can't raise taxes. So they add "fees", then claim they never broke the law to raise a tax.

If it's a tax, call it a tax.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Your words, pal...not mine! Thankfully...the government protects even you.
no it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections