Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 09:15 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,872,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
At a time we are all complaining about competitiveness, other countries moving ahead of us, etc, the only reference to education in the debate was about abolishing the department of education.

Teanuts will drag us back with them to an ancient civilization.
The mantra is: "We need believing people" not "We need thinking people".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:14 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,994,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
And this is why after all the shouting is over, Obama will sail back into office and the Republicans wil be standing there with their collective yaps still open, wondering why the tactic of trying to yell their way back into power didn't work.

The message the American public is getting from the Republicans is that the Grand Old Party has been taken over by nutsos and/or is afraid to label them as such. Who in the world can take a party seriously that considers the likes of Palin, Bachmann, Perry to be genuine presidential material?

To top it off, by bad-mouthing each other, what sticks in the public's mind is that all the GOP front funners are incompetent. As a result, it doesn't even matter who get the GOP nomination, there will be hours of footage of Republicans criticizing them that will be in peoples' momories and available for Democrats to use in political ads.

If the GOP really wants one of theirs to be elected they will have to start singing Cumbayah together and FAST. And ditch the wackos. They've abdicated the middle and left it wide open for Obama to claim.
Could you discribe what makes a candidate a nutsy and why you are saying that? Do you think because someone is a Christian whether Mormon or Southern Baptist they are Nutsys? Or because they have large families, made it financually on their own, when their father was a share chopper or maybe because they live in a small town in Texas and started their adult lives serving our country and then becoming an OB?GYN, eventually serving our country again in the congress, this makes them nut cases?

You find bad mouthing each other in poor taste, most of us don't like it, how did yuu feel when Obama and Hillary went at it? Oh, I guess that was different?

Nita

Old 09-13-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
I disagree with this. Someone like Mit Romeny would be very appealing to a middle of the road undecided voter. He was chief executive of MASS, a very liberal place. He has a business background, so understand economics better than most, especially our President...who didn't have the foresight to sit down with business leaders and ask what they need in addition to demand to hire more people - it certainly is not 1 yr temp items. Dems can talk about conservatives all they want, but at the end of the day, who would be most electible...that is someone who can help turn the economy around and help provide business with a better predicatiblity.
I am not quite clear on what you are saying? The person said the Republicans do not put up good candidates unless they think they can win and you agree, but you like Romney and last I heard he is one of the candidates???? What is your point?

nita

Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,869,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
If you bothered to read the article that you linked you would have learned that the writer's point is that 'Democratic leaders are idiots' for allowing the Bush tax-cuts to be extended. It has nothing to do with intellectual acuity. However, since extending the Bush tax-cuts is the center-piece of Republican policy, if Democrats are idiots for allowing the Bush tax-cuts to be extended, what does that say about Republicans?
It says that both groups are idiots, I did read the article.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
At a time we are all complaining about competitiveness, other countries moving ahead of us, etc, the only reference to education in the debate was about abolishing the department of education.

Teanuts will drag us back with them to an ancient civilization.
That's because the question about education was not asked. I thought the rules pretty much stated keep the answers on subject and BTW, the Dept of Education should be ablolished. It certainly hasn't done much good has it?

Nita

Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,697,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That's because the question about education was not asked. I thought the rules pretty much stated keep the answers on subject and BTW, the Dept of Education should be ablolished. It certainly hasn't done much good has it?

Nita
But better education did not figure into the plans of getting the country on the right track - not even ONE mention? This graph from a govt site(Education pays ...):

http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.JPG (broken link)

Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 43,008,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
They lie because they are liars. Weasels who don't give a damn about the poor or middle class of this country.
Self contradition in action!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:35 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,984,248 times
Quote:
Could you discribe what makes a candidate a nutsy and why you are saying that? Do you think because someone is a Christian whether Mormon or Southern Baptist they are Nutsys? Or because they have large families, made it financually on their own, when their father was a share chopper or maybe because they live in a small town in Texas and started their adult lives serving our country and then becoming an OB?GYN, eventually serving our country again in the congress, this makes them nut cases?

You find bad mouthing each other in poor taste, most of us don't like it, how did yuu feel when Obama and Hillary went at it? Oh, I guess that was different?

Nita
What makes a candidate a nutsy candidate?
  • One that claims Social Security is a ponzi scheme.
  • One that wants to go back onto the gold standard.
  • One that claims that the ACA, which goes into effect in 2014, prevented a 17 year old from getting a summer job this summer.
  • Having an EPA, that keeps the air and water clean, should be abolished.
  • One that believes cutting government spending will decrease unemployment.
  • One that believes U.S. Senators should not be popularly elected.
  • One that believes in abolishing the IRS.
... I can go on for pages but this is what this year's GOP candidates believe. Beliefs that aren't worthy of the leader of the free world. Beliefs that will turn us into a 3rd World nation.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,383,498 times
Quote:
Do you think because someone is a Christian whether Mormon or Southern Baptist they are Nutsys?
no - did I ever say any such thing? NO.
Quote:
Or because they have large families, made it financually on their own, when their father was a share chopper or maybe because they live in a small town in Texas and started their adult lives serving our country and then becoming an OB?GYN, eventually serving our country again in the congress, this makes them nut cases?
no - again: did I ever say any such thing? Read my lips: NO

Quote:
Could you discribe what makes a candidate a nutsy and why you are saying that?
Really if you wanted to genuinely know my opinion, you should have left it at this simple question.

Since you obviously prefer to try to put words in my mouth (and idiotic ones at that) I am not going to waste my time responding to you.

Old 09-13-2011, 05:59 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,243,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
SO to say that folks want to abolish SS is so untrue, that when people make those kind of claims, they are either incredibly stupid or a fear monger.
You are mighty naive for a 40 year old or else uninformed. There are many who have called for the total abolition of SS and some of them here on CD.

Republican politicians are either cynically playing up to that faction, with no intention of following through, or they themselves want to see SS done away with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections