Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 01:56 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,849,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
New York's special congressional election on Tuesday was the first electoral outcome directly affected by President Obama's Israel policy. Democrats were forced to expend enormous resources to try to defend this safe Democratic district, covering Queens and Brooklyn, that Anthony Weiner won last year by a comfortable margin.

A Public Policy Poll taken days before the election found a plurality of voters saying that Israel was "very important" in determining their votes. Among those voters, Republican candidate Robert Turner was winning by a 71-22 margin. Only 22% of Jewish voters approved of President Obama's handling of Israel. Ed Koch, the Democrat and former New York mayor, endorsed Mr. Turner because he said he wanted to send a message to the president about his anti-Israel policies.
Dan Senor: Why Obama Is Losing the Jewish Vote - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
I was down at the Turner headquarters tonight so yes I'm very proud.
there were many Jews there (more then a 4th of the place possibly even a third)
Thank You .. You have made my morning!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:58 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,565,788 times
David Weprin: First Political Victim of Same-Sex Marriage Backlash? - New York News - Runnin' Scared

Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 AM

141 posts, read 383,181 times
The Orthodox Jewish Democratic candidate wasn't pro-Israel enough for the nutjob racist other Orthodox Jews in that district. Unbelievable. You have Obama right now working to stop the UN from making the Palestinian Authority a member-state, and he's called several times for a non-militarized Palestinian state, AND he just played a decisive role in rescuing the Israeli ambassador to Egypt and others at the embassy in Cairo from the Egyptian rioters. How is that not sufficiently pro-Israel? His policies regarding Israel are no different from other presidents, including Bush. Does he not pay enough lip service? Or are the requirements in the eyes of AIPAC, Ed Koch, and the Orthodox Jews in the NY's 9th Congressional District for being "pro-Israel" that you have to unequivocally support the policies of Likud and/or a one-state solution involving removal of Palestinians and/or the status quo? I don't understand.

Either way, this Orthodox Jewish Democratic candidate, David Weprin, is as reliably pro-Israel (NOT necessarily pro-Likud) as candidates can get--just as Anthony Weiner was. It's absurd to even have to say that; it's practically a tautology. The thing that convinced all these constituents to vote against him was his support for the "Ground Zero Mosque" (or really, the Islamic community center a few blocks away from Ground Zero). Most of the political views of most of the voters in the district aligned more with David Weprin's than Bob Turner's, but the deciding factor was Park 51. Unbelievable.

I get that many of the Orthodox Jews are traditionally intolerant and Republican-leaning, but I suspect that the secular Jewish vote in the district, under the influence of Ed Koch, went for Bob Turner in this election. It's such a shame that so many older and even middle-aged secular Jews, including even my own mother, are buying into the meme that Obama is not sufficiently "pro-Israel." Because of this ignorance, they believe that the Republicans are on their side and they go and vote for Republicans, despite disagreeing with the Republicans on nearly every other issue. And Ed Koch, a Democrat who should know better, just f'd over his own party to "teach Obama a lesson." What more can Obama do? I don't know. But anyway, shame on Ed Koch.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:03 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,565,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBpa View Post
The Orthodox Jewish Democratic candidate wasn't pro-Israel enough for the nutjob racist other Orthodox Jews in that district. Unbelievable. You have Obama right now working to stop the UN from making the Palestinian Authority a member-state, and he's called several times for a non-militarized Palestinian state, AND he just played a decisive role in rescuing the Israeli ambassador to Egypt and others at the embassy in Cairo from the Egyptian rioters. How is that not sufficiently pro-Israel? His policies regarding Israel are no different from other presidents, including Bush. Does he not pay enough lip service? Or are the requirements in the eyes of AIPAC, Ed Koch, and the Orthodox Jews in the NY's 9th Congressional District for being "pro-Israel" that you have to unequivocally support the policies of Likud and/or a one-state solution involving removal of Palestinians and/or the status quo? I don't understand.

Either way, this Orthodox Jewish Democratic candidate, David Weprin, is as reliably pro-Israel (NOT necessarily pro-Likud) as candidates can get. It's absurd to even have to say that; it's practically a tautology. The thing that convinced all these constituents to vote against him was his support for the "Ground Zero Mosque" (or really, the Islamic community center a few blocks away from Ground Zero). Most of the political views of most of the voters in the district aligned more with David Weprin's than Bob Turner's, but the deciding factor was Park 51. Unbelievable.

I get that many of the Orthodox Jews are traditionally intolerant and Republican-leaning, but I suspect that the secular Jewish vote in the district, under the influence of Ed Koch, went for Bob Turner in this election. It's such a shame that so many older and even middle-aged secular Jews, including even my own mother, are buying into the meme that Obama is not sufficiently "pro-Israel." Because of this ignorance, they believe that the Republicans are on their side and they go and vote for Republicans, despite disagreeing with the Republicans on nearly every other issue. And Ed Koch, a Democrat who should know better, just f'd over his own party to "teach Obama a lesson." What more can Obama do? I don't know. But anyway, shame on Ed Koch.
First of all Obama's an anti semite (as you seem to be)
second of all this race in the Orthodox communities was more about marriage redefinition.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:

Either way, this Orthodox Jewish Democratic candidate, David Weprin, is as reliably pro-Israel (NOT necessarily pro-Likud) as candidates can get--just as Anthony Weiner was. It's absurd to even have to say that; it's practically a tautology. The thing that convinced all these constituents to vote against him was his support for the "Ground Zero Mosque" (or really, the Islamic community center a few blocks away from Ground Zero). Most of the political views of most of the voters in the district aligned more with David Weprin's than Bob Turner's, but the deciding factor was Park 51. Unbelievable.

Good Lord .. How far into one's own fantasies can one be!

Go back up and read the story at my link to WHY Obama is losing the Jewish vote!

Go read it and come back with a .. "MY BAD" will ya!

Here .. Allow me .. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...pinion_LEADTop

Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
second of all this race in the Orthodox communities was more about marriage redefinition.
Excuse me? Did you not read the sentence where I include my mother as a middle-aged secular Jew? I myself am a proud, secular Jew. I am also a Zionist, though a liberal Zionist; I do not support Likud. Regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, I would position myself somewhere between AIPAC and JStreet.

And please, do tell me how Obama is an anti-Semite. What has he done that is so anti-Semitic? Criticized Netanyahu? Please.

Also, I think somebody else brought up the numbers about the pro-gay marriage Weiner against Bob Turner, so that wasn't the deciding factor in the race. Ed Koch's idiotic endorsement of the Republican was.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
There are tons of them on this board and it is embarrassing

(anti-Semites)

Old 09-14-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Good Lord .. How far into one's own fantasies can one be!

Go back up and read the story at my link to WHY Obama is losing the Jewish vote!

Go read it and come back with a .. "MY BAD" will ya!

Here .. Allow me .. Dan Senor: Why Obama Is Losing the Jewish Vote - WSJ.com
The reason that he's losing the Jewish vote is that the "strain in the pro-Israel community" that only accept pro-Likud hawkishness is growing, especially among older Jews as they grow more senile and neurotic (it's happening to my grandparents). I could take apart each of the anecdotes from that article piece by piece, but in reality, for every one of those "incidents" or quotes that some perceive as anti-Israel there are a dozen other quotes from Obama expressing pro-Israel sentiments. Besides, the article contained nothing about any policy changes regarding the peace process that are "anti-Israel."

Old 09-14-2011, 02:28 AM

Quote:
The reason that he's losing the Jewish vote is that the "strain in the pro-Israel community" that only accept pro-Likud hawkishness is growing, especially among older Jews as they grow more senile and neurotic (it's happening to my grandparents). I could take apart each of the anecdotes from that article piece by piece, but in reality, for every one of those "incidents" or quotes that some perceive as anti-Israel there are a dozen other quotes from Obama expressing pro-Israel sentiments. Besides, the article contained nothing about any policy changes regarding the peace process that are "anti-Israel."
Obama is such a good guy ...
"Go back to the 1967 borders" ring any bells?

Get a clue!

You will only be convinced if Israel is destroyed huh?

Ain't gonna happen and you need to go talk to your Grandparents!

Obama snubbed Netanyahu for dinner with Michelle and the girls, Israelis claim - Telegraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections