Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:49 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,281,887 times

Advertisements

The nomination comes down to Perry, Romney, and MAYBE Bachmann if the Tea Party supporters turn from Perry and up her poll numbers. I am certain Perry would lose and Bachmann. Romney - not so sure. Out of all the debates, he has been consistently factual and honest. Yes, I understand people don't agree with his stances and views and that's fine. But he has been vetted for a long time. Perry is just too new and too much dirt is coming on up him to make him a good general election candidate.

The rest - I don't see them getting any traction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM

20,503 posts, read 12,453,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Perry is pro-illegal immigration... not a very conservative stance.
no. Perry is NOT illegal immigration. However as gov. of Texas he has dealt with the issue a great deal more than most and understands the complexity.

Perry is NOT against stopping the flow of illegals. He is however very much aware that there needs to reform that fixes the problem yet he is pragmatic enough to understand that fix cannot be in the form of kicking 20 million people out of the country. This is where i almost respectfully disagree with my fellow conservatives. I too am pragamatic about it. I think it is stupid to think we can just get rid of 20 million people. The vast majority of which are gainfully employed and having a positive impact on the economy.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
LMFAO, Perry is not corrupt??!!! When Palin and Bachmann call out a Republican for corruption, you know he's corrupt. I don't think either Perry or Romney is an idiot, but I do think Perry is as nutty as a modern day governor can get. His ideas are more in sync with the 1910's or some third world country.

Not morons, but definitely Mormon, which is the kiss of death in the deep south. Didn't Romney also pass Romneycare, which is identical to Obamacare?
How about honesty SF? your view isn’t based on facts. they are based on your political bent.

the idea of what is or is not corrupt is easily dealt with. there are LAWS. NO ONE has suggested that Rick Perry has broken ANY LAW.

And for someone like you to suggest that Bachman or Palin can say something that is true.... much less that they can actually walk and chew gum at the same time is insulting.

you people have eviscerated these ladies. The unfairness and downright hatred that comes from the left directed toward them is despicable and depraved. For you to now suggest they are right on an issue is not something I or any other right thinking human being should listen to.

Not interested in your shell game.

And yea. I said YOU PEOPLE.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,297,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
no. Perry is NOT illegal immigration. However as gov. of Texas he has dealt with the issue a great deal more than most and understands the complexity.

Perry is NOT against stopping the flow of illegals. He is however very much aware that there needs to reform that fixes the problem yet he is pragmatic enough to understand that fix cannot be in the form of kicking 20 million people out of the country. This is where i almost respectfully disagree with my fellow conservatives. I too am pragamatic about it. I think it is stupid to think we can just get rid of 20 million people. The vast majority of which are gainfully employed and having a positive impact on the economy.
So you think it is okay for an illegal immigrants to get in-state tuition at the university of texas? But it isn't okay for US CITIZENS from Oklahoma to pay in-state tuition there?

Because Perry thinks this is okay... he signed a bill that allows this in 2001...

Perry is for handouts for illegal immigrants AS EVIDENCED BY HIS SIGNING OF THIS IN STATE TUITION LAW. Why else would he allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition at Texas Universities? How are handouts to illegals going to decrease the illegal immigration problem we have in this country?

Let's not "believe" perry is against illegal immigration because he talks a good game, lets actually look at what he has done! His pro-illegal immigration accomplishments speak much louder than the "talking points" he lies about to the American people.

We need to stop giving handouts to illegal immigrants to solve this problem. <<--- Perry is NOT for this (as evidenced by his actions)

Last edited by h152cc2; 09-16-2011 at 10:12 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM

28,152 posts, read 30,183,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
5. John Huntsman. - He was the Governor of a state that consistently votes the same as the Klan.
What an irresponsible and idiotic comment. The state of Utah is definitely one of the most Republican states in the nation, but in the last election, the people of Salt Lake County, by far the largest county in the state from the standpoint of population, voted for Obama. I don't know what makes people like you abhor one form of bigotry while embracing another, but as far as I'm concerned, bigots are bigots and they are all equally disgusting.

Last edited by Katzpur; 09-16-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
So you think it is okay for an illegal immigrants to get in-state tuition at the university of texas? But it isn't okay for US CITIZENS from Oklahoma to pay in-state tuition there?

Because Perry thinks this is okay... he signed a bill that allows this in 2001...

Perry is for handouts for illegal immigrants AS EVIDENCED BY HIS SIGNING OF THIS IN STATE TUITION LAW. Why else would he allow illegal immigrants to pay in-state tuition at Texas Universities? How are handouts to illegals going to decrease the illegal immigration problem we have in this country?

Let's not "believe" perry is against illegal immigration because he talks a good game, lets actually look at what he has done! His pro-illegal immigration accomplishments speak much louder than the "talking points" he lies about to the American people.

We need to stop giving handouts to illegal immigrants to solve this problem. <<--- Perry is NOT for this (as evidenced by his actions)
is there really a point in discussing something with someone who refuses to be reasonable?

If a legal citizen from Alasksa lives in Texas for 3 years they should get instate tuition. That holds true for illegals as well.

in state tutition is not a "hand out" as it does not require the government to actually "hand" anyone anything.

it is the difference between what is charged those who have not been part of the texas economy for the last 3 years vs. those who have.

I cannot help it if my fellow conservatives cannot grasp the utter complexity of this issue.

Let me state this clearly. I do not think Illegals should ever be allowed to be citizens of this nation. I do however understand that we cannot simply kick them out. Kicking them out hurts them far less than it hurts the economy. So there must be another way. Perry understands this as well.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,632,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
LMAO nothing of substance in this entire zzzzzzzzz of a post. Thanks for the laugh.
Well, I for one agree with this post. You would think that in a nation of over 300 million you would be able to come up with at least one half way decent person to run for the conservative cause. You can't because the GOP is not conservative. They are the closest thing to a right wing Facist party that I have ever seen in a mojor country in this modern era. They even use Hitler's most successful gambit. "If you tell the same lie over and over again, most of the people will eventually believe it. I listen to these people and I don't think I have ever heard one word of truth out of them for decades. You know that it's possible to have true conservatives that believe in conservative philosophy and yet still represent the interests of all the people.

That kind of conservative does not exist in the GOP. If he did he would be shunned because the GOP is not about representing anyone but their masters and that is what makes them facists. They don't give one single hoot about the people of the USA and that is so clear that people who can't see it are either blind, self delussioned, ignorant or just plain stupid.

I can surely understand the dilemma that must present for people who truely believe in conservativitism. They can't support the democrats with their left of center policies and therefore they have no alternative but to vote for the "So called" conservative GOP.

Personally I'm a left of center conservative and yes that position is possible and we have millions of them here in Canada. We have a viable choice though because we have 3 major parties. Right, center and left. In the USA you only have two bad choices. The near facist GOP or the too far to the left Democrats.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,297,205 times
Quote:
is there really a point in discussing something with someone who refuses to be reasonable?
Ok Mr. Reasonable... I live in Texas, so my view on it is probably more reasonable than yours as I have to experience it every day. If you lived here you would probably have a similar view. This is a huge problem in Texas that Perry turns a blind eye to.

Quote:
in state tutition is not a "hand out" as it does not require the government to actually "hand" anyone anything.
You do know Texas universities are funded by the state government right? So essentially giving them a break on tuition requires citizens to pay more in taxes to cover the expense of the illegal immigrant. Giving them a break on tuition encourages them to come to Texas, enroll in our schools (state funded-- taxes), take our medical care...etc.etc. It costs the government a lot. It costs me a lot through property taxes since Perry doesn't enforce illegal immigration laws and our schools are full of them. If that isn't a handout-- what is?

Quote:
I cannot help it if my fellow conservatives cannot grasp the utter complexity of this issue.
Once again, wish you lived here. Then maybe you would understand.

Quote:
Let me state this clearly. I do not think Illegals should ever be allowed to be citizens of this nation. I do however understand that we cannot simply kick them out. Kicking them out hurts them far less than it hurts the economy. So there must be another way. Perry understands this as well.
There is a simple solution. No in-state tution. No free medical care. No free schooling. No free "handouts." Perry definitely does not understand this. Why would you want to support a liar for president anyway? Can't we get someone who is honest?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Ok Mr. Reasonable... I live in Texas, so my view on it is probably more reasonable than yours as I have to experience it every day. If you lived here you would probably have a similar view. This is a huge problem in Texas that Perry turns a blind eye to.

You do know Texas universities are funded by the state government right? So essentially giving them a break on tuition requires citizens to pay more in taxes to cover the expense of the illegal immigrant. Giving them a break on tuition encourages them to come to Texas, enroll in our schools (state funded-- taxes), take our medical care...etc.etc. It costs the government a lot. It costs me a lot through property taxes since Perry doesn't enforce illegal immigration laws and our schools are full of them. If that isn't a handout-- what is?

There is a simple solution. No in-state tution. No free medical care. No free schooling. No free "handouts." Perry definitely does not understand this. Why would you want to support a liar for president anyway? Can't we get someone who is honest?
I do live here. have lived here for more than 20 years.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:

oh, and there is zero evidence that Perry is a liar. non. nada (bet that offended you) zilch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections