Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 07:51 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And if you choose to take the position that if someone opts not to buy insurance they should be covered by the taxpayers, you have just rendered insurance completely useless.
That's the point, insofar as the UHCers who are actually delusional enough to believe we can replicate NHS or France's system in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:37 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
" News, Ron Paul’s Campaign Manager Died Sick and Uninsured, the Way ‘Freedom’ Allows."

Which has nothing at all to do with government and unconstitutional mandates.

What a straw man argument you're trying to create here.
Yes. We all should have the freedom to be refused help! And others should have the freedom to be bastards!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:40 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
If this man worked for Ron Paul, why didn't Ron Paul provide an insurance plan as his employer?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:44 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yes. We all should have the freedom to be refused help! And others should have the freedom to be bastards!
Hey, I going to go cancel all my car insurance.

Please PM me your home address so I know where to mail the bill next time I have an accident.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If this man worked for Ron Paul, why didn't Ron Paul provide an insurance plan as his employer?
Brace yourself for some math.

When a person has severe pre-existing conditions many times the calculation of expected premiums becomes so high that you are actually better off self-insuring.

For example, let's say I have bone cancer and previously have had no insurance. My premiums are going to be more than what I can likely just pay directly to the medical facility due to taxes, administration costs, profits and so forth. Some facilities will clearly cut you a break if you are uninsured and can pay.

Lastly, if you don't have a lot of assets you can just default on the bill. The part of the guys mom still owing the bill is likely BS invented by your political blog because debt doesn't transfer that way and would likely have just fallen on the guys estate and be uncollectible.

We all want the best care and treatment but people don't want to pay for it. They want "free healthcare" I actually support UHC but people have to pay in and there should be tiering so that you can have basic care and then more advanced care. There are going to be a whole bunch of PO'd 25 yo waitresses with student loans or roofers etc. that found out that they voted for "free healthcare" but wait, there's a bill! Meanwhile, their non-working friends get the "free" healthcare....ouch.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Please PM me your home address so I know where to mail the bill next time I have an accident.

I'll let you make payments....

Old 09-16-2011, 10:56 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut health care is different! It's a human right!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'll let you make payments....
Trust me, I already am for more than just myself.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
b-b-b-b-b-b-b-ut health care is different! It's a human right!
Ironically, some sort of UHC DOES make financial sense as right now you have a whole bunch of people that just go to the emergency room and then never pay. Those costs are ALREADY being borne by people like me that buy health insurance. (Through my job I have a rather large deductible coupled with accumulated savings in a health savings account so basically I have the equivalent of major medical.)

By giving basic coverage to people for even a modest premium and you then at least get some money going into the pie by people currently contributing nothing.

This concept is covered in actuarial literature. It's actually quite similar to auto insurance in that some guy with a bad driving history should have a car ins. payment of 5k....which he can't afford. If you have him at least pay 2k it's better than him driving uninsured and still causing all the same accidents etc.

States with high levels of uninsured drivers of course drives up the cost for everyone else.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:09 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
At the fifth GOP debate this week, moderator Wolf Blitzer asked Ron Paul, a doctor, whether someone who opts to not buy health insurance and then gets sick should be allowed to die. The crowd responded with startling shouts of "Yeah!" followed by applause, leaving even Rick Perry "taken aback." Paul's answer, while more gentle, was more or less the same.

Ron Paul’s Campaign Manager Died Sick and Uninsured, the Way ‘Freedom’ Allows -- Daily Intel
Ron Pauls answer was no. How come you didn't mention that? Always helps to do research instead of scratching the surface.

Here is his answer straight from his mouth without the made up garbage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections