Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 04:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,936,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
The base are not all extreme right voters. There is a full 22% of potential Republican voters that are still undecided according to a poll that came out yesterday. That is a lot of room for somebody to pull a lot of votes. The media would have this go to Perry right now, but this horse race is far from over. I would say moderate Republicans are not all in Romney's camp either. Many are supporting Gingrich, some Huntsman, some Cain.
I don't consider all Tea Partiers and Religious Right to be extreme. But they are the base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
atxcio, Mods are smaller, as many fled the party due to its extremist tendencies of the last few years. That leaves it too small to elect anyone, so any non Obama win would come via independents (long-term), plus ex-Republicans, ex-conservs in the classical, not the new age TP, sense.

The math of a Nov, 2012 TP based win does not compute.
GOP nomination first, bobtn. Whether they can convince the general electorate to vote for their nominee will ultimately depend on if Obama can stop his slide or even reverse it, and if independents can be convinced to vote for the economy over everything else. Both seem possible, but it's still a ways off.

Old 09-17-2011, 04:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,025,227 times
atxcio, Insert "Blank" nomination first, and one speaks of losing parties throughout our history. One does not get a reset to attract new voters, the Ponzi scheme comments, execution cheering, Let Him Die cheers..are 2012 campaign attack ads.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
atxcio, Insert "Blank" nomination first, and one speaks of losing parties throughout our history. One does not get a reset to attract new voters, the Ponzi scheme comments, execution cheering, Let Him Die cheers..are 2012 campaign attack ads.
No need to get ahead of ourselves -- plenty of already-elected Republicans have made the Ponzi scheme comment, and those other things were audience "commentary" in the debates...none of the candidates really involved it that. I'm sure you can find plenty of unsavory things that lefty audiences have said or cheered before.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:12 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,954,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Although he had an essentially failed Presidency, Carter tried to warn us of many of the very things we are experiencing today in this country (energy problems, financial sector influence etc...). I believe he and his wife are good and decent people, and I believe he is smarter than most people would give him credit for.

Had Romney been the Republican nominee in 2008 instead of McCain, I believe he would have beaten Obama handily. I voted for Obama in 2008, but will vote for Romney if he is nominated. Perry - forget it.
i think carter is totally out of touch with the american people, as always. the fact that he thinks romney would lose to obama gives me an indication of, again, how far out of touch he actually is.

carter lost reelection badly for a reason-he was a bad president.

carter spends his free time going around the world badmouthing the very country that gave him a chance as president, and he is one sore loser in my book.

i would have zero problem voting for romney over obama-although i still like ron paul the best.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:45 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,258,907 times
Here is a video of Rachel Maddow's recent interview with Carter. They aren't discussing Romney, but they do discuss differences in elections in Carter's era from today.

The Rachel Maddow Show: Rachel Maddow interviews Former President Carter - Bing Videos (http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/rachel-maddow-interviews-former-president-carter/6mu8gqu?from - broken link)

I don't remember the politics of Carter's Presidency, but remember him being President. I would like to add one paragraph taken from the book, Cadillac Desert, Marc Reisner, that refers to Carter. Just consider the context and subject of the book, which was about the history of water and irrigation in America. It covers the hundreds of multi-million dollar water projects in America, and the back stabbing politics involved in Western water projects along with the competition for water projects between the Bureau of Reclamation and the U.S. Corp of Engineers. From the book:

Quote:
During the first and only term of his presidency, Jimmy Carter decided that the age of water projects had come to a deserved end. As a result, he drafted a "hit list" on which were a couple dozzen big dams and irrigation projects, east and west, which he vowed not to fund. Carter was merely stunned by the reaction from the East; be was blown over backward by the reaction from the West. Of about two hundred western members of Congress, there weren't more than a dozen who dared to support him. One of the projects would return five cents in economic benefits for every taxpayer dollar invested; one offered irrigation farmers subsidies worth more than $1 million each; another, a huge dam on a middling California rive, would cost more than Hoover, Shasta, Glen Canyon, Bonnville, and Grand Coulee combined. But, Carter's hit list had as much to do with his one term presidency as Iran.
emphasis mine.

There is always more to an issue than what is easily seen. While I don't remember the politics of Carter's presidency, it appears he was fiscally pragmatic, at least with the massively wasteful spending on huge water projects. Regardless of those who trash this man at every opportunity, Jimmy Carter is a man of integrity and high character. He is one of the few Presidents who was a Christian that was not a hypocrite. He puts his money where his mouth goes, which is more than I can say for most of the showboat, loudmouthed version of Christians. For that, I truly respect Jimmy Carter.

Between Carter and Obama, I think it shows that the people of this country do not want and do not support a man of integrity and character. They will **** all over themselves for utter jerks like Dick Cheney and bush, and now this murderer, Perry. Then they go park their azzes on a church pew to pray. Or they bomb abortion clinics. Or scream raicial epithets towards other people or other religions. It really makes one wonder what is synapsing in their brains.

Last edited by Ecovlke; 09-17-2011 at 07:02 PM..

Old 09-17-2011, 08:03 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,983,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Here is a video of Rachel Maddow's recent interview with Carter. They aren't discussing Romney, but they do discuss differences in elections in Carter's era from today.

The Rachel Maddow Show: Rachel Maddow interviews Former President Carter - Bing Videos (http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/rachel-maddow-interviews-former-president-carter/6mu8gqu?from - broken link)

I don't remember the politics of Carter's Presidency, but remember him being President. I would like to add one paragraph taken from the book, Cadillac Desert, Marc Reisner, that refers to Carter. Just consider the context and subject of the book, which was about the history of water and irrigation in America. It covers the hundreds of multi-million dollar water projects in America, and the back stabbing politics involved in Western water projects along with the competition for water projects between the Bureau of Reclamation and the U.S. Corp of Engineers. From the book:

emphasis mine.

There is always more to an issue than what is easily seen. While I don't remember the politics of Carter's presidency, it appears he was fiscally pragmatic, at least with the massively wasteful spending on huge water projects. Regardless of those who trash this man at every opportunity, Jimmy Carter is a man of integrity and high character. He is one of the few Presidents who was a Christian that was not a hypocrite. He puts his money where his mouth goes, which is more than I can say for most of the showboat, loudmouthed version of Christians. For that, I truly respect Jimmy Carter.

Between Carter and Obama, I think it shows that the people of this country do not want and do not support a man of integrity and character. They will **** all over themselves for utter jerks like Dick Cheney and bush, and now this murderer, Perry. Then they go park their azzes on a church pew to pray. Or they bomb abortion clinics. Or scream raicial epithets towards other people or other religions. It really makes one wonder what is synapsing in their brains.
This.

I have been fortunant enough to meet the man. He is a kind, generous, good person. I wish we had more people like him. What a wonderful world it would be.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 AM

37,828 posts, read 41,163,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This.

I have been fortunant enough to meet the man. He is a kind, generous, good person. I wish we had more people like him. What a wonderful world it would be.
If you are talking about Jimmy Carter, the Secret Service and others who worked for him see him differently.

I just realized Carter jumped over fellow Georgians Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain to jump on the Romney bandwagon. I bet they're relieved.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:05 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,983,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you are talking about Jimmy Carter, the Secret Service and others who worked for him see him differently.

I just realized Carter jumped over fellow Georgians Newt Gingrich and Herman Cain to jump on the Romney bandwagon. I bet they're relieved.
Any secret service agent that would go public about his service would be a pretty ****ty agent, and so I would not put much stock in what he or they had to say. Remember it is SECRET service. I will take my personal experience over a guy who can't do his job.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,159,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Any secret service agent that would go public about his service would be a pretty ****ty agent, and so I would not put much stock in what he or they had to say. Remember it is SECRET service. I will take my personal experience over a guy who can't do his job.
After the fact secret service people often say a lot more than you might think.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections