Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,199,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That is how the Florida Straw poll differs from Iowa's. Only registered delegates can vote and it ain't cheap. It's in the same link as in the original post.

"About 3,100 were chosen by their county Republican parties, after paying a $175 registration fee. Another 300 or so were selected by the state party chairman, and overall the delegation is supposed to represent the geographic makeup of the state."

A guide to Florida GOP's Presidency 5 event - Adam C. Smith - St. Petersburg Times - POLITICO.com

They don't always pay that themselves though. They say "anonymous donors" pay for those delegates who cannot pay for themselves...wink, wink. It is very expensive to promote yourself for one of these straw polls. You pay to vote in all of the straw polls it is just usually not this expensive and you have to register in June or May. I think the one is California was something like $25.00 and Iowa was $35.00 maybe.

Last edited by dixiegirl7; 09-20-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 04:40 PM

313 posts, read 835,771 times
Quote:
He's a confirmed speaker at CPAC-FL. That's the Friday after the debate and the Friday before Saturday's straw poll. CSpan will be covering it.
Yes, but he's not actively working the straw poll. Anyone that votes for him in the straw poll got there on their own. The campaign (or rather grassroots, like a lot of the other straw polls) did not call up supporters and encourage them to go out. This straw poll is regulated tightly by the GOP. Like you said, they have to pay $175 to go vote. From what I have read from people going, they also had to go to several local GOP meetings where they were basically interviewed to be able to qualify to go. They paid the $175 regardless of actually making it to the straw poll. From the sounds of it, they run things to be pretty status quo there. I'm not surprised that several past winners were predicted from FL results since they tell us who to vote for that person will always be status quo.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
They don't always pay that themselves though. They say "anonymous donors" pay for those delegates who cannot pay for themselves...wink, wink. It is very expensive to promote yourself for one of these straw polls. You pay to vote in all of the straw polls it is just usually not this expensive and you have to register in June or May. I think the one is California was something like $25.00 and Iowa was $35.00 maybe.
CA was $90 in advance, $100 at the door.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:28 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,501,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I don't think Bachmann ever had much money. And she spent a bunch in Iowa just to barely beat Ron Paul in the straw poll. Besides, for now she has the debates as free advertising.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Paul's consistently strong showings in these straw polls are putting other candidates off to them. RP's supporters will mobilize for for him for free. So why pay good money to possibly come in second to a candidate few people take seriously?
She spent all her money buying votes (sending those who voted for her to see Randy Travis).

Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StampinTami View Post
CA was $90 in advance, $100 at the door.

I wasn't sure, I thought I saw $25.00 someplace. I know a lot less ballots were cast with a little over 800.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I don't think Bachmann ever had much money. And she spent a bunch in Iowa just to barely beat Ron Paul in the straw poll. Besides, for now she has the debates as free advertising.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ron Paul's consistently strong showings in these straw polls are putting other candidates off to them. RP's supporters will mobilize for for him for free. So why pay good money to possibly come in second to a candidate few people take seriously?

That's true. The straw polls are not a very good predictor of anything except how much money you spend to buy votes.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,669,637 times
Quote:
That's true. The straw polls are not a very good predictor of anything except how much money you spend to buy votes.
Please direct this post comment to emilybh. - Thanks

Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
I wasn't sure, I thought I saw $25.00 someplace. I know a lot less ballots were cast with a little over 800.
Yeah, there weren't many votes even though the numbers I heard were there were around 1500 people there. I read from people that were able to go, that a lot of people weren't allowed to vote because of late registration even though they were told that they could register to vote up until Friday as long as they had proof that they had registered as republicans.

I would have liked to have gone but two tickets and a couple hundred in gas to go there and back was a little much. Plus finding child care.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,903,187 times
Quote:
Oops, I found Bachmann's answer. She doesn't want to devote the resources to the effort. Could she be running low on money?

Naw, just running very low on any chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections