Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:35 PM
JRR

8,234 posts, read 5,732,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I was pretty excited when Rick Perry got into the race. Then he opened his mouth and I realized we are all (The Middle Class Worker Bees) doomed....I can have one party give my money away, or have the other make sure I don't have any money in retirement....
Kind of like being up in an airplane and realizing that there is a kangaroo in the pilot seat and an aardvark in the seat beside him. You get the sinking feeling that with either one at the controls, it is not going to end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,199,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct mateo45, I did NOT vote for BO in 2008, but would vote for him against any TP favored man or woman. I'd vote for MR, if he stops pandering to the TP. He should have applauded RP for his handling of the Dream Act and his scolding of the hate-monger crowd. The GOP debates have featured crowds which descended from those cheering on the lions vs the Christians 2000 years ago. They represent the WORST of America.

Mitt Romney does not support the Dream Act, he didn't let it pass in his own state so why would he applaud Rick Perry for not only passing it but insulting those that don't support it? That is not pandering to the Tea Party. Many conservative Repubicans don't support this and want tight control over illegal immigration. I do not believe in those here illegally being reinforced for their behavior. There are immigration laws for a reason. If you want to come here, do it legally. Those here illegally should not get preferential treatment over our own citizens and on our dime. One of the biggest drains on this countries resources are illegals...the education system, the healthcare system, and the public assistance programs (food stamps, subsidized housing and welfare) all of which have more than doubled in recent years. We are broke because we have more people here than we can take care of. It is out of control.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,020,619 times
MR had stayed quiet on the issue until it came up at the debate, and commented the next day. That is pandering. MR and illegals are not Christie and unions; the latter has history, harping on the issue, the former practiced mostly verbal indifference NOT bringing the issue up at length until one day post debate.

PS, If you want to stop it..its easy..hit employers HARD. I'd like 3 strikes and you are out, meaning 3 illegals hired at 3 different times means you can no longer stay incorporated, and if you wish to exist all methods of corp limited liability are gone..forever..for any equity player or officer..at any corp they work at..for life.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,199,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
MR had stayed quiet on the issue until it came up at the debate, and commented the next day. That is pandering. MR and illegals are not Christie and unions; the latter has history, harping on the issue, the former practiced mostly verbal indifference NOT bringing the issue up at length until one day post debate.

PS, If you want to stop it..its easy..hit employers HARD. I'd like 3 strikes and you are out, meaning 3 illegals hired at 3 different times means you can no longer stay incorporated, and if you wish to exist all methods of corp limited liability are gone..forever..for any equity player or officer..at any corp they work at..for life.

Romney vetoed the legislation when he was governor of Massachusetts so he had to have taken a stand on it in the past. I agree that hitting employers hard is one of the ways to help curtail it. I think all incentives for being here illegally need to end not be added to. This is one area Ron Paul is right about. It is an issue that is two sided for politicians though and I am sure that is part of Perry's thinking, he doesn't want to lose the hispanic vote.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,491,234 times
The "litmus test" re: "illegals" is largely a hot button issue for "rural" and unskilled whites, who not surprisingly feel increasingly threatened at the low end of the labor market (and there are some "cultural" resentments in there too).

But like the new dependence on evangelicals, it's also another example of the predicament that the GOP has put themselves in by becoming what former Reagan adviser Ed Rollins has described as basically "the Southern Party".

Old 09-24-2011, 08:32 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,900,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Romney is leading Obama, however certain factions might not allow him to get the nomination.
Factions such as the extreme prejudice of Conservatives for race and religion.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:09 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,230,165 times
Ron Paul would beat Obama in a land slide. That said, I think that any of the Republicans would beat Obama.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:12 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,230,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I don't believe any of those polls, other than the order of which candidate the people are more favorable of compared to Obama. In that case, Paul is second, yet the media acts like he's the seventh or eighth candidate.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:14 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,381,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Yeah, they pretty much vote democrat without thinking. I mean just that -without thinking.
And the Republicans up here are more liberal than the Democrats in Texas, so it really doesn't matter.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:15 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,635,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Ron Paul would beat Obama in a land slide. That said, I think that any of the Republicans would beat Obama.
Keep dreaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections