Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:59 PM

37,963 posts, read 17,953,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I agree with everything you said, but the part about N. Korea is one where I disagree slightly. To me it is sad that they have a documented group of about 200,000 people that are essentially in concentration camps and the US is doing nothing about it. Why? Most likely because they have no oil. Personally I dont think it should be 100% up to us to do something, but someone should intervene somehow. If we pulled back all of our troops in other places, I could support doing something about just this situation...but again, no oil means no involvement.
Spot on about oil. Plus you need the military industrial complex of ours to make it work.

We should stop bribing them with financial aid. But still trade with them as embargoes hurt the people.

Horrible about people in concentration camps. We did that to Japanese in the 1940's during the war.

What about the concentration camps in the US we call prisons? We need to work on that. So many problems here. You have you help yourself before you can help others. I believe in the people but you have to get big government out of the equation in order for the people to make it work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 05:40 AM

27,310 posts, read 15,454,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Ron Paul is a repulsive candidate and a racist. He doesn't belong in the public eye. The media obviously agrees. He's just not the best candidate to face the incredible President Obama.

I don't find him credible and I think the America that he wants to regress to hasn't existed since immediately after the end of slavery. He wants to preserve the hierarachy that emerged from slavery, one that placed whites at the top and blacks at the bottom as sub-humans. He wants to preserve the "unearned privilege." Damn Civil Rights. He wants to make sweeping changes not realizing that he must have Congressional approval to do nearly all of what he wants to accomplish. Sure, bring all the troops home. Ludicrous. As the world's greatest super power, this country owes a duty to help where it can. It doesn't owe a duty to attack sovereign nations unprovoked, and engage in trillions of dollars of wasteful spending and mismanagement a la Republican Bush. A smarter approach is needed and President Obama has mastered it as the killing of bin Laden, the effective use of Drones, and assisting NATO in Libya has shown. Ron Paul is nuts, which is why he is ignored.

Hopefully he disappears for good this time.

I see you put a description of the incredulous President Obama in the middle of this tirade.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:40 AM

37,824 posts, read 41,149,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
There is an urban GOP media elite. Like the Democrat academics who sit on their high horse, the urban GOP media elite looks down their nose at the rest of us...except at election time when they try to persuade you vote for someone from the NY/DC corridor because those are the people they rub elbows with. And their power only comes from getting those people elected. Bill Kristol is a good example. Ron Paul in the White House does nothing to improve Bill Kristol's prestige or power. Neither will any governor from the south (unless it's Virginia which is close to DC). Now he's floating the Chris Christie rumor. Before that it was Paul Ryan. Before that, a few years ago, they were touting George Allen. They told us to shut up about McCain, the RINO, in 2008 and get behind him and vote for him. I'm pretty sure Kristol or his GOP elitist friends floated the Bloomberg/Pataki rumors, too.

If you want to know who they are, just check out the regular GOP panel on Bret Baier's show or the panel on Chris Wallace's show or read the Weekly Standard.

Nobody in the current race is one of their urban elitist friends so they're out trying to lobby others to get in the race from the people they see regularly. Someone like Romney (rich guy from a political family) is more blueblood acceptable but they will only settle for him, he's not the guy they really want.

I'm ready for a third party.
Hate to add to my own comment but just saw this today.

"Conservative commentator George Will argued Sunday on ABC’s “This Week that the GOP has become “too southern” and that this could hurt the party’s election strategy."

George Will | Republican party | southern | The Daily Caller

See what I mean about the GOP urban elitist media? if you don't rub elbows with them from the NY to DC corridor, you ain't gonna be their candidate of choice. George Will is a perfect example. One of the commenters to the article calls him one of the old Rockefeller establishment Republicans. They have to persuade us rubes in the party that they know best for us.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hate to add to my own comment but just saw this today.

"Conservative commentator George Will argued Sunday on ABC’s “This Week that the GOP has become “too southern” and that this could hurt the party’s election strategy."

George Will | Republican party | southern | The Daily Caller

See what I mean about the GOP urban elitist media? if you don't rub elbows with them from the NY to DC corridor, you ain't gonna be their candidate of choice. George Will is a perfect example. One of the commenters to the article calls him one of the old Rockefeller establishment Republicans. They have to persuade us rubes in the party that they know best for us.
I have to a couple of things here: 1-the south has a hell of a lot of electorial votes and 2-who really pays much attention to George Will, not many I am guessing? You said it: one of the old Rockefellow Republicans...Those days are gone, I hope...

Nita

Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,320,041 times
The Excavator: 5 Reasons Why The Establishment Media Fears Ron Paul Like The Plague
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections