Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 07:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
there is no perfect candidate
I am voting for who ever it is
and no I am not pleased with much offered
part of why Obama won is b/c a lot of folks sat out the election making a statement
and a lot of them who voted for Obama just plain was too lazy to see who they were getting
he has turned out to be far worse that we ever thought!!
so excuse me for over reacting to your post
the only thing I know, is I do not want 4 more years of this yahoo
Ron Paul is the only one that I think would be a worse choice, but he does not have a bats chance in hell
maybe some really good folks are out there but they do not have the money
to run
I think you and I see things almost exactly alike: I don't know any or many Republicans that didn't vote in 2008 but they did not actively campaign either. Add to that many young people and minorities that normally do not vote turned out. It won't happen in 2012 I do not think. BTW, I don't mean most minorities do not vote, I mean many that do not vote did in 2008.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Pathetic. That's the best you have? Well, that "failure" you recognized four years ago went on to win the White House. He'll win again too.
He may have won the WH, thanks to voters who just HAD to be a part of history-in-the-making. But he's failed the country miserably. One disastrous, over-reaching, poorly planned and more poorly executed decision after another. Even with a Dem senate AND congress, he couldn't get much done.

I get why you're defending him. Hard to admit you were duped.

And that "failure" of the GOP? They went on to take congress in 2010, and may just sweep it all in 2012.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Obama was green when he came into office. He thought that he could use reason and diplomacy. He did not have a workable cabinet. I think he may be getting his second wind, and hopefully coming out like a leader should with a little fight.
Wasn't it he that said the presidency isn't something you learn on the job with? And if he didn't have a workable cabinet, he only had himself to blame. He did have a Dem congress. But now he needs 4 more years to really hit his stride? Sorry, he's had his chance. Let's just hope he hasn't screwed this country up to the point it can't be fixed.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,271 times
Dick Morris said BO's popularity among blacks...is dropping like a rock...down from 83% just 5 months ago...to 58% today. BO is in big trouble.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:05 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quality guy View Post
Dick Morris said BO's popularity among blacks...is dropping like a rock...down from 83% just 5 months ago...to 58% today. BO is in big trouble.
What many fail to see is that unpopularity of obama does not translate into popularity of Republican candidates. Think of it this way. Many democrats criticize him for not being liberal enough. I don't believe you are going to find candidates more liberal on the Republican side. Many liberals like Paul's stance on foreign policy, but beyond that, they don't appeal to many democratic or liberal voters.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:40 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,964,008 times
Correct, hotair, as the GOP image the independents see daily is the TP. Watching the TP re-elect bO is like watching Gomez Adams with his train set and gleeful smile, awaiting the collision. In this case the collision occurs in Nov, 2012.

Its not is he liberal or not, the two bases mostly cancel each other out, provide 200 safe electoral votes each, while the winner of the independent swing states 140 wins the prize. A radical of either extreme vs an incumbent is DOA.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Let's take the day off from picking over the ruins of our own miserable riots and try to cheer ourselves up over Barack Obama's good fortune. What good fortune? I hear you ask. Surely he has just been humiliated over the US budget debacle and the decision of a cowboy credit rating agency to tweak America's triple-A credit status. His standing in the polls is sagging, now below 40%.

Well, yes, that's all true. And he has not been a particularly brave or effective president either. Democrat or Republican, I'd be pretty disappointed, too. But election campaigns are about choice of both candidate and their policies. So Obama's luck lies in the near-unbelievable fact that the Republicans look determined either to pick a loser or refuse to vote for someone who could win.

the sweeping Republican gains in Congress in the midterm elections of 2010 were on the usual 40% turnout; Obama was elected in 2008 on a 61% turnout. Yet it is the Republicans who think they have a mandate from the American people. Enthusiasm rather than money – Obama had plenty of that too – decides these things, a willingness to vote.

On the evidence, Obama is well placed to win again once voters have had a chance to savour what the uncompromising 2010 Congress has done for them: not much. Give 'em Hell, Harry! Truman pulled it off in similar circumstances in 1948 by attacking the record of a pro-business, low-tax Congress; this Congress, says Warren Buffett, no less, is the friend of billionaires.

Winning shouldn't be too difficult – even for Obama, even in a double-dip recession, which we hope won't blight the US – or Tottenham.

Barack Obama is on course for a second term
A british opinion blog. Concrete evidence.............that the left is scared.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:49 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
A british opinion blog. Concrete evidence.............that the left is scared.
It was an opinion. What is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections