Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,957,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
LOL. You evolution-believing elitist nutcase you.
Yes, as we all know, anyone who believes in science over myth is an elitist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No the urban elite Republicans, especially the ones in the NY/DC media and Wall Street are trying to get Chris Christie to run. They are trying to convice the rubes (that's us in the rest of the country) that our candidates are unelectable and then they go out of their way to make sure it comes to fruition.

It's in their own best interest to pick our candidate for us. They need to convince someone who works in the NY to DC area, and with whom they deal with regularly, to run because their own power and influence are tied to those people. A few years ago they were telling us that person was George Allen (VA). His face was everywhere. They fell all over themselves to give him publicity. He imploded. Then they told us to shut up, quit complaining and get in line behind John McCain. You may remember that brouhaha, don't you? Then very early this political season they floated the trial balloon for, of all people, rich Nanny Bloomberg in NYC. When that went over like a lead balloon, they fixated on Paul Ryan, a man with zero executive experience, a shared approval rating much lower than Obama's and an ad with his double pushing granny off a cliff. He had the good sense to say "no." Around the same time, George Pataki, a man barely known out of NY also had his name floated. No one noticed because when the conservative voters in the rest of the country are looking for someone to be their candidate, they always think of someone from a heavily taxed state with an out of control cost of living to be their candidate. I have no idea if they were also behind the push for Donald Trump but suddenly his face was all over the Republican media.

I doubt George W Bush would have gotten any attention if his dad had not been President and VP under Ronald Reagan. He was a man they knew.

Now they are glomming on to Chris Christie. I happen to like Chris Christie but I see what's going on here. If he says "yes" they will fall all over themselves to promote him, denigrate the other candidates and persuade us rubes that he's the most electable...sort of like John McCain in 2008.
I was about to say the same thing: inside/outside the beltway: Bill Crystal has been pushing for Christie at least since the early part of the year, and a few others have as well. This isn't something that is new. Those who do not follow politics that closely or have their heads in the sand. I too like Christie, but that isn't the point. The point is, all these Democrats that think the sudden push for Christie has to do with no candidate can beat Obama is nuts.

Nita

Old 09-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I was about to say the same thing: inside/outside the beltway: Bill Crystal has been pushing for Christie at least since the early part of the year, and a few others have as well. This isn't something that is new. Those who do not follow politics that closely or have their heads in the sand. I too like Christie, but that isn't the point. The point is, all these Democrats that think the sudden push for Christie has to do with no candidate can beat Obama is nuts.

Nita
Bill Crystal is the worst neocon outhere. He was firmly in the Perry camp and then when Perry started to tank he threw him under the bus. This was the exact same thing that he did to George Bush. Bush was the hero until things started to go south and then Crystal threw him under the bus as well eventhough he was doing, in terms of foreign policy, the exact things that Crystal had been advocating. Crystal is a neocon...I really can't stand the man.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Bill Crystal is the worst neocon outhere. He was firmly in the Perry camp and then when Perry started to tank he threw him under the bus. This was the exact same thing that he did to George Bush. Bush was the hero until things started to go south and then Crystal threw him under the bus as well eventhough he was doing, in terms of foreign policy, the exact things that Crystal had been advocating. Crystal is a neocon...I really can't stand the man.

Something we can agree on, I can't stand him either. He has absolutely no credibility. There is something sorely lacking in the Republican party in the last few years and that is loyalty. It doesn't exist anymore.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:22 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,045,420 times
Quote:
Bill Crystal is the comedian. This guy is Kristol.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:

You are right, my bag. I should not have been using Nita's spelling. Sorry Nita for throwing you under the bus.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,662,488 times
Quote:
Nice job, LC. But, let me help further. Both of them are comedians...Kristol just the morbid kind!

Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
He has never been in the Perry camp. You obviously do not watch him often or read his articles. He has been saying since, maybe last winter or early spring, Christie would run and he has wanted him to run. I have heard him recently, not a Perry lover at all.....Did I say I liked him? I said he is behind Christie, he is inside the belt way, cut and dry!!!

NIta

Old 09-27-2011, 01:48 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,175,288 times
Quote:
You are right, my bag. I should not have been using Nita's spelling. Sorry Nita for throwing you under the bus.

We knew which nitwit you were speaking of.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:58 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,284,081 times
Quote:
You are missing the point. It is not about Chris Christie, although you really need to watch the video it is funny, it may not be the candidates that are the problem it may be the GOP message that people are having a problem with.

You know, Kill Social Security, Kill the environment, protect the rich. This is not a really popular message that they are putting out.
1. No one has ever said they want to eliminate social security immediately. They have said they are going to change the age you can start withdrawing it... if this is not done then social security will not be available for someone like me. Most economists agree on this. People ages 20 - 35 realize that social security will probably not be available to them if something isn't done about it.

2. No one has said they want to "kill the environment." Most republicans are for increasing drilling here at home-- drilling in America is very responsible, thousands of wells are drilled a year with minimal environmental impact. One bad seed (BP) shouldn't ruin the bunch. Increased drilling will create millions of American jobs. Much better than Obama's plans to create magical fairy tale "green" jobs (which don't exist, haven't existed, and will never exist).

3. Not sure what you mean by this. If you haven't noticed, Obama AND the Republicans are for protecting the rich... Defining someone who makes 250K a year as "rich" and comparing them to someone like Warren Buffet is laughable. I've asked all my friends who make 250K a year if I can use their private jets (like Obama believes) and they look at me as if they don't know what I am talking about.

Finally, vote Democratic if you want the economy to remain how it is for another 4 years. Keynesian economics are a proven failure, and until Obama is out of office-- this is all he will propose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections