Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:29 AM

37,846 posts, read 41,209,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Good lawd! He's nevuh had a huntin' lissins? Commie!
You aren't getting the point. The point isn't that he didn't have one. The point is he pretended to be something he's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 AM

37,846 posts, read 41,209,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
Those are all such petty issues and not really pertinent to the issues of the country at this time. I can tell you something that every candidate running has either misrepresented or either flat out lied about. Some more than others. Rick Perry has quite a few.

Is there something wrong with being rich? I didn't realize it was a problem, but for some in this country it is. Most of those elected to the office of President are wealthy people. I guess you think Rick Perry is a middle class American. I think Mitt Romney did say in the last debate that he wants all Americans to do well. He has been criticised for being a little too uptight and perfect looking so I think some of these down home moments might be to help him look more mainstream. All politicians do that sort of thing.
The problem isn't that he's rich. I don't care if he's rich. The problem is he thinks he has to pretend he's a regular Joe, be something he's not...and he's not good at it. Others say his flip-flopping is his authenticity issue.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee says Mitt Romney seems "inauthentic" on certain issues. (from May 2011)

Huckabee: Romney Is 'Inauthentic'

This one goes all the way back to 2006: "The Inauthenticity of Mitt Romney" so you can't blame it all on the current Democrats.

U.S.Taíno: The Inauthenticity of Mitt Romney

This one goes back to 2008:

"A year ago, I would have given Romney serious consideration -- a guy with a blue-chip business background and impressive executive experience, reasonable and non-wingnutty enough to get himself elected in Massachusetts. But as soon as he started running for president, he basically tried to completely reinvent himself, and run away from his own gubernatorial record. He was desperately trying to claim the mantle of the "true conservative" in the race, and while some may have doubted his conservatism, even more people doubted the "true" part. Mitt Romney the presidential candidate wasn't "true" anything, and the voters could smell it. He started off with his eleventh-hour conversion to pro-life, with lame explanations as to how he suddenly got religion on that issue. That was but the first of a long trail of campaign claims that were constantly being contradicted by those pesky facts from his past."

UpWord: Inauthenticity Is Out (Along With Romney)

The question is which Romney will show up at the White House?

And for the record, I voted for him in the 2008 primaries after my first two choices dropped out. It was an anti-McCain vote. I though Romney was a flip-flopper and McCain was a nasty aisle-crossing RINO. I picked the least objectable one.

I suppose the question is can a northeastern liberal Republican win a Republican primary these days without looking inauthentic on the issues? I just think Romney shouldn't also add the pretension of being a regular guy to that.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:11 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,281,887 times
Well if Huckabee claims something, we have to all agree with that!

Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,210,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The problem isn't that he's rich. I don't care if he's rich. The problem is he thinks he has to pretend he's a regular Joe, be something he's not...and he's not good at it. Others say his flip-flopping is his authenticity issue.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee says Mitt Romney seems "inauthentic" on certain issues. (from May 2011)

Huckabee: Romney Is 'Inauthentic'

This one goes all the way back to 2006: "The Inauthenticity of Mitt Romney" so you can't blame it all on the current Democrats.

U.S.Taíno: The Inauthenticity of Mitt Romney

This one goes back to 2008:

"A year ago, I would have given Romney serious consideration -- a guy with a blue-chip business background and impressive executive experience, reasonable and non-wingnutty enough to get himself elected in Massachusetts. But as soon as he started running for president, he basically tried to completely reinvent himself, and run away from his own gubernatorial record. He was desperately trying to claim the mantle of the "true conservative" in the race, and while some may have doubted his conservatism, even more people doubted the "true" part. Mitt Romney the presidential candidate wasn't "true" anything, and the voters could smell it. He started off with his eleventh-hour conversion to pro-life, with lame explanations as to how he suddenly got religion on that issue. That was but the first of a long trail of campaign claims that were constantly being contradicted by those pesky facts from his past."

UpWord: Inauthenticity Is Out (Along With Romney)

The question is which Romney will show up at the White House?

And for the record, I voted for him in the 2008 primaries after my first two choices dropped out. It was an anti-McCain vote. I though Romney was a flip-flopper and McCain was a nasty aisle-crossing RINO. I picked the least objectable one.

I suppose the question is can a northeastern liberal Republican win a Republican primary these days without looking inauthentic on the issues? I just think Romney shouldn't also add the pretension of being a regular guy to that.

Ronald Reagan would be labeled a flip flopper today. He changed positions on issues over the years several times. I heard his son, Michael say that he wasn't sure his father could even win the nomination in the Republican party today with all of the divisiveness and judgement that goes on in it.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,673,090 times
Quote:
Ronald Reagan would be labeled a flip flopper today. He changed positions on issues over the years several times. I heard his son, Michael say that he wasn't sure his father could even win the nomination in the Republican party today with all of the divisiveness and judgement that goes on in it.
Well, it is repulsive, ludicrous and RIDICULOUS to try and compare Romney to Reagan!! >> That is beyond a reasonable 'stretch'

No one (conservatives) ever questioned Reagan's integrity. Reagan was respected by most everyone who knew him!

Romney is dubious to everyone! That's the problem!!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:36 PM

You must not have been alive during Ronald Reagan's presidency or you didn't follow politics. Ronald Reagan, at the time, was very much maligned and he was certainly not loved by all when he was alive. I find it so funny that now, he is the conservatives hero.

Ronald Reagan would not have been conservative enough to get the blessings of the Tea Party today. He was not overtly religious in his politics. He supported abortion at one point. He was a Democrat. He came from the Hollywood circle. He was not southern. I could go on and on, but on top of it all, Ronald Reagan was part of the GOP establishment and was very loyal to the GOP. He would be appalled at a lot of what is going on today in the party.

Reagan leadership skills, which were amazing, were only fully realized after he was long gone from office.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:48 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,281,887 times
^People hear these glorious stories of Reagan and the Reagan era that they have little concept about what people actually thought about him pre-1980 and during his presidency. In today's environment, he would have been written off already because his polling was low. He came in second in Iowa in 1980 behind the favorite for the nomination - George H.W. Bush. He was deemed a loon for this supply-side economic theory, something now championed by the right (whether rightly or wrongly).

People need to study up more and stop parroting blogs, talk radio, and cable news.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:58 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,673,090 times
Quote:
You must not have been alive during Ronald Reagan's presidency or you didn't follow politics. Ronald Reagan, at the time, was very much maligned and he was certainly not loved by all when he was alive. I find it so funny that now, he is the conservatives hero.

Ronald Reagan would not have been conservative enough to get the blessings of the Tea Party today. He was not overtly religious in his politics. He supported abortion at one point. He was a Democrat. He came from the Hollywood circle. He was not southern. I could go on and on, but on top of it all, Ronald Reagan was part of the GOP establishment and was very loyal to the GOP. He would be appalled at a lot of what is going on today in the party.

Reagan leadership skills, which were amazing, were only fully realized after he was long gone from office.

Wrong, WRONG and double Wrong!! But for the sake of argument...I'll just say this. Ronald Reagan oozed quality, strength and sincerity! He was a leader in every sense of the word....and he inspired 'we the people' with Hope....for a better tomorrow!

Romney, nor ANY of today's fickle (mostly corrupt) politician's...'can lay a glove' on Ronald Wilson Reagan, in any of those area's!!

Last edited by quality guy; 09-29-2011 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM

NOBODY is comparing Reagan and Romney. I supported Ronald Reagan, but I didn't agree with all that he did during his administration....NAFTA being one of those issues that turned out not so great for some. Since I worked in healthcare, I also saw first hand the disastrous results of the cuts he made in mental health programs and other programs aimed at social issues that then went on to blow up in epidemic proportions.

However, my point is hindsight is 20/20 and memories of icons are a little blurred at times. Reagan was a good president and did some really good things, but he and no one else is perfect.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I don't understand the relevance. McCain was chosen over Romney in '07. Since then, he's adjusted. He appears extremely manufactured and incredibly insincere. To stand there in those debates or in his speeches and declare that President Obama is a total failure without once mentioning the devastatingly negative impact and regression that the tea party segment of his party has represented, is disingenuous.

Romney is one flip-flopping, disingenuous goon, completely unfit for the office of the Presidency. No question about this. Shame on the GOP for allowing this guy to be seriously considered, even declared as a frontrunner at times.

Romney better off as a Funeral Director.

You support the most disingenuous president we probably ever have had in this country. I am sure your greatest fear is that the GOP will nominate Romney since he is the one candidate than can actually beat Obama in all of the polling. Don't worry too much though, Republicans are notorious for nominating the wrong person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections