Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:46 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,078,433 times

Advertisements

If I weren't happily married....Kudos
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
how do people like you function in the real world??
if I ran around in every area of my life looking at people's skin color
and tried to "prove" somehow I am do not have "white guilt" by trashing everyone that does not think with race in the lenses
I would be in sad shape
I am a 60 year old white woman living in Atlanta, GA
I am old enough to have seen KKK marchers in a little town I used to live in
and as that small child, I did not understand it, I knew it was wrong
I lived through the civil rights movement
but I also know that there are folks today that want to hold me hostage to those days by screaming RACE!!!! Every time I turn around to try and whip me into obedience
I will not budge!!
I base if I like someone as Dr King suggested, NOT by the color of their skin, but by who they are as people
I have not problem not liking Obama as a person, because he slithers like a frigging snake
I would not walk across the street to see him
Herman Cain however, so far from what I have seen of him and have been listening to him for years on the radio, I like him
I would not only walk across the street to see him, I would want to sit down with him over a good county cookin' dinner and get to know him more
so go ahead and spout your bull crap, but i don't by it
georgia dem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,312,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Summers,
Understand I agree with the first sentence in your post. But you are mis-representing what the term Uncle Tom means. It is not racist, but is used by Blacks to deride another Black who they believe is not toeing the color line. That is, being Black-enough in attitude, actions, dress, speech - really a whole smorgasbord of not Black enough offenses.

But, yeah, you are right, Herman would get thrown in heap with JC Watts, Alan West and other conservative Blacks. He would be labelled Uncle Tom, in an effort to marginalize him. I agree with you on this too.
Unfortunately, it is racist and a previous poll with 2/3 of people say it was proves it.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,343,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
You fail to understand that he was building his career. Given his age, he would have been college/young adult hood. He clearly chose the path of excelling in college (BA Morehouse, MS Purdue) and starting his business career at Coca Cola. You infer because he was not in the 'struggle', he is somehow illegitimate. Leading a successful life, serving as a role model for others, creating something from nothing is the Amercian way. For all Americans. You offend me with your veiled "house ******" reference. But, you offend me worse with your irresponsible stereotyping and waste of an education.

Sorry that you are "offended" but how can he believe to support the "equality and fairness to all" when he made himself all but invisible during the civil rights era. BTW, he was in his twenties during the time and he lived down south where segregation was at it's finest. The other point his affilation with a group that claims to be tea partiers which in reality are Teabaggers which at the moment does not have a good standing among blacks, latinos, gays or the less fortunate. As far as sterotyping, how do you figure that? All that I did was state the obvious. You implied that I some garbage about a waste of education, where did I say anything about that? If I had said that he dodged the draft would that had made you feel better? You make it seem like that he had a choice in going to school or help fight for equal rights. There have been many civil right leaders and supporters who fought the good fight and still got an education and became successful later in life.

For the record, there are many others that feel the same way unfortunately many of them are black, latino, gay or less fortunate

Old 09-30-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCityRoller View Post
I fear that Herman Cain's rising poll numbers is only temporary reverse-racism from the GOP to look diverse for 2012; once we start getting closer to the primaries, the Tea Party he claims supports him will wake up and realize they can't accept another huge black leader. Look at what happened with Michael Steele, Republicans and blacks have just not mixed in the past and there's still work to be done to get to that point.

He also comes across to me as great VP material, but I don't think anyone in the running would dare attempt that given what happened in 2008 with Sarah Palin.
Even the REAL Republicans are tiring of this circus and this is why they are trying to coax gov Christie to run.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:35 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,700,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
All of this is BS! If Obama was white and Cain WAS black I still would not vote for him! He is a career businessman not a politician, meaning his focus is one thing NUMBERS! If he was a legit tea partier and tnot a teabagger I would have some respect for him....but since he is not well....
I'd take a career business man over a career politician. At least one will be good with numbers.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,513,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
I'd take a career business man over a career politician. At least one will be good with numbers.

A person who made a living keeping wages low for restaurant workers is probably not a friend of labor, which could explain why he apparently want to soak the poor.

The rent is 2 damn high, and Herman Cain wants to tax it.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No. I was responding to one of your posts about "not forgetting Mike Steele". Just pointing out that he did rather well (for running what, in my opinion, was a crappy campaign. Which I told him on several occasions both during and after.) in a 2/3 Democrat state. I might have picked up an implication from you that Republicans deserted him. Which did not happen. Other Democratic Senatorial candidates in MD typically have received 65% to 70% of the vote. The Mfume reference was for context.

Nice misdirection from you, though.
I just thought the whole Micheal Steele thing came about on the heels of the Obama election. They did the same thing with Palin when they thought that Hillary had a chance. The party reacts instead of acting to what they think that the people want

Old 09-30-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Neither one is relly good, except the latter will soak the poor and aide the rich

Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 AM

45,555 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I just thought the whole Micheal Steele thing came about on the heels of the Obama election. They did the same thing with Palin when they thought that Hillary had a chance. The party reacts instead of acting to what they think that the people want

Are you talking the MD Senate election or RNC Chair?

Old 09-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Are you talking the MD Senate election or RNC Chair?
RNC Chair, I try very hard not to be myopic but if I notice these things I'm sure other do as well. I don't beleive in coindences everything happens for a reason and the sudden rise of Palin and Steele just happened to mirror the rise of Obama and Hillary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections