Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 10:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times

Advertisements

Yay for more war mongering. Just what we need. So much for shrinking gov't. And oh no we certainly cannot legalize the stuff! That's evil!

Quote:
“The way that we were able to stop the drug cartels in Colombia was with a coordinated effort,” Perry said. “It may require our military in Mexico working in concert with them to kill these drug cartels and to keep them off of our border and to destroy their networks. I don’t know all the scenarios that are out there but I think it is very important that we work with them, to keep that country from failing.”
Rick Perry Says Drug War ‘May Require Our Military in Mexico’ - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 11:04 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
On this he is probably right. It has gotten so out of hand now that people are actually afraid to live in some of the border counties in Texas. The drug cartels have announced they are taking over down there. This is not about a little marijuana.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,632 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Lip Service! I hope this IS obvious to anyone.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:27 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
On this he is probably right. It has gotten so out of hand now that people are actually afraid to live in some of the border counties in Texas. The drug cartels have announced they are taking over down there. This is not about a little marijuana.
You are correct it is dangerous down here. Perry he has done nothing to control immigration here in Texas.

Why?

Because he wants the Hispanic vote. That's all there is to it. He is a pandering politician who will sway his views by the current popularity polls.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:28 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yay for more war mongering. Just what we need. So much for shrinking gov't. And oh no we certainly cannot legalize the stuff! That's evil!

Rick Perry Says Drug War ‘May Require Our Military in Mexico’ - ABC News
Or...how bout on de borrderr?

Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,119 times
He's using Colombia as his example? We've had federal forces there for the better part of 3 decades and have had zero affect on drug exports. Colombia and the Philippines are the two most obvious examples of the US declaring pseudo-wars with troops on the ground that are entirely ignored. Afghanistan was in that class pre-9/11 as the leading heroin producer. Surprisingly they've only produced more drugs after we were at war with them. I guess our global policing isn't having the affects we would like.

Poppy crop will decline only slightly due to coalition

Old 10-02-2011, 12:51 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Republican small government = more wars

Old 10-02-2011, 02:21 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
He's using Colombia as his example? We've had federal forces there for the better part of 3 decades and have had zero affect on drug exports. Colombia and the Philippines are the two most obvious examples of the US declaring pseudo-wars with troops on the ground that are entirely ignored. Afghanistan was in that class pre-9/11 as the leading heroin producer. Surprisingly they've only produced more drugs after we were at war with them. I guess our global policing isn't having the affects we would like.

Poppy crop will decline only slightly due to coalition

What would you propose be done in Texas and other border states? The violence is spreading inward and if left unchecked it wll be completely out of control. I am not defending Perry because i think he has helped cause some of this problem for Texas. However, what are they going to do to deal with the escalating violence?

Old 10-02-2011, 02:33 AM

2,311 posts, read 2,828,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
What would you propose be done in Texas and other border states? The violence is spreading inward and if left unchecked it wll be completely out of control. I am not defending Perry because i think he has helped cause some of this problem for Texas. However, what are they going to do to deal with the escalating violence?
I live within 20 miles of Mexico in one of the safest cities in the US. I grew up in a shoddy section of a midwest city that was the murder capital of the country for years. I feel safer in my border town now than I ever did back home. You're getting suckered into the whole prison culture thats been pushed on us. If we enforced laws already passed by congress and approved by the courts we wouldn't have any problems with illegal immigration.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:44 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Oh, my God. No, no, no, NO, NO.

I had been reconsidering my position on Rick Perry for a while, this absolutely seals the deal- I'm writing myself in for President...or Mickey Mouse, or whomever if neither party can cobble together a candidate I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections